Masters in Germany before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I was considering getting a masters in Germany before applying to medical school in America. I need to improve my application and raise my GPA before applying to medical school in America. Post-bach and master programs in America are too expensive. I am considering Germany because 1) free tuition 2) they offer much more interesting and medically related masters and 3) I have always wanted to study abroad.

However, I have a few questions:

1. How difficult is it to get into a masters program (i.e. in medical science/molecular medicine/medical research, etc.) in Germany?
2. I am also worried about how the academic semester lines up with America's medical schools. Most med schools in America start mid-August. However, summer terms in Germany ends in September. If I do a 2 masters program, will this mean I need to take another gap year before medical school?
3. Could I take out loans to pay for living expenses? If so, would they be American loans..?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same position. Have you applied to master's in German schools?

I am looking at the same exact plan for my own trail to med school. I've heard it is a lot of work though, but a lot of student that go over to Germany for a masters or med school decide to stay because of how much they like it over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If German masters ends in September you'll have to take another gap year which is unfortunate. To actually get into medical school in Germany you'll need to speak and write highly fluent german, but I believe medical school is also free over there or low cost at least.

I would consider a short 1 year masters in the UK. You'll be able to apply to the US more quickly and while it does cost money its going to be less significant than the 2-3 years of living costs + potential income lost of going to Germany.

All majors connected with medicine in Germany are very hard to get into. it's almost impossible to get a scholarship and you have to have really an amazing profile.