Masters in Neuroscience or LPC as precursor to PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuralsubstrate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have two paths before me and I'm having a hard time choosing. I graduated from undergrad (BSc in psychology) a few years ago with a GPA in the mid-3s. I have not had any research experience, so I'm looking to take the next two to three years to get a masters degree and gain that research experience at the same time.

I have the opportunity to work on an LPC while doing both clinical and research work at a local prestigious university's addiction unit under a clinical psychologist. I also have the opportunity to join the university's masters in neuroscience program and work on an independent research project with a mentor neuroscientist in addiction sciences.

My end goal is to go to a university-based, funded PhD program in clinical psychology. Once licensed, I'd ideally like to devote half my time to clinical work and the other half to addiction science research. Which masters program would you pick in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both those areas really interest me, although I definitely do want clinical interaction with patients (which is why I want to go the clinical psych route as opposed to the purely neuroscience path). If I had to pick, I do think I'd pick the clinical/psychosocial aspects, though...so thanks! Not something I'd considered so concretely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for the neuroscience MA (MS?) and do some clinical volunteer work on the side. My understanding is that research-heavy PhD programs want you to have a strong research background before entering the program, and if research is as big a part of your career goals as you say, then I'd build your CV as much as possible in that regard. In terms of the clinical piece, you just need to have enough experience to justify your interest in the field & demonstrate that you have some sense of direction in terms of preferred population/orientation when you apply, which you can do via volunteer positions or p/t jobs. The bulk of your clinical training will come from practica/internships within the doctoral program anyway.

To put it more simply: It would be easier to get clinical experience while doing a masters in neuroscience than it would be to get adequate research experience while doing a clinical masters. I'd think of it that way.

I would vote for whichever one is going to give you the most solid research experience and opportunity for publications. Which mentor publishes the most may be a way of helping to determine that.

Reactions: 1 users
Given your ultimate goals, I would say go for the neuroscience program. I hold a masters (M.Ed) in mental health counseling and it truly provided me with more training and knowledge in psychopathology, differential diagnosis, and therapy than my PsyD program is; but, being that you have a heavy focus on research, the neuroscience program would award you with more research experience. This will help you with getting into a PhD program as well as better opportunities for finding a research position.

The master's in neuroscience route seems more likely to make you competitive for a funded Ph.D. program. Perhaps on the side you could volunteer for an addictions treatment program or something of that nature to demonstrate that you are also able to connect with fellow humans. :)

I just graduated with a master's degree in cognitive neuroscience from UT Dallas, I completed my research at UTSW (which is a neighboring medical university here in Dallas). During my time at UTSW, my mentor did tell me that he viewed people with a master's in neuroscience being very competitive for the Ph.D. program in clinical psychology. My master's program has supplied UTSW with many Ph.D. students in both clinical psychology and their Ph.D. program in neuroscience. Hopefully this might give you an example that a master's in neuroscience can be used to leverage yourself into a clinical psychology Ph.D. program.

Reactions: 1 user
I just graduated with a master's degree in cognitive neuroscience from UT Dallas, I completed my research at UTSW (which is a neighboring medical university here in Dallas). During my time at UTSW, my mentor did tell me that he viewed people with a master's in neuroscience being very competitive for the Ph.D. program in clinical psychology. My master's program has supplied UTSW with many Ph.D. students in both clinical psychology and their Ph.D. program in neuroscience. Hopefully this might give you an example that a master's in neuroscience can be used to leverage yourself into a clinical psychology Ph.D. program.
I am so glad to hear someone say that a master's in neuroscience was valuable for the PhD application process in a clinical program. Thank you for sharing!