Masters in Psychology (Texas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forevercharmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sure the topic of a Masters in Psychology has been exhausted in this forum but I went through a lot of posts and still had some questions.

First off, I'm from Texas--I know there are different licensing regulations in each state.

I have just graduated with a Bachelors degree in Psychology and am starting to lean towards a Masters, instead of a PhD. I am interested in forensic psychology and want to pursue something in the legal system.

Questions:
1. The 2 licenses I am leaning towards are LPC and LCSW. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
2. In regards to LPC, if I get a Masters in clinical psychology, can I still sit for the LPC exam?
3. If there are any forensic psychologists on this forum, what are the job prospects for someone with a Masters in the field?
4. For jobs/licensing, is there a difference between getting a Masters in clinical or counseling?
5. For Texans, which schools would you recommend for a Masters program?
6. Texas State offers a Graduate Certificate in Forensic Psychology--would that be helpful? I've never heard of that and all it says on the website is that it "prepares individuals for career advancement."

These are all the questions I can think of right now... Thanks for the responses in advance! :) You guys are awesome for taking the time out to help a lost soul, like me!

Members don't see this ad.

I won't be able to speculate on the forensic component other than that forensic psychologists are typically Ph.D. level with a predominance of psychologists coming from a clinical background and others from counseling psychology. For LPC schools in Texas, I can tell you that TWU has both a master's degree in counseling psychology and a master's degree in counseling which allows you to sit for the LPC. SMU has a program (in my opinion not great, and not CACREP accredited btw) that allows you to sit for the LPC exam, UTSW has a master of rehabilitation counseling which is a great program (I have personal knowledge about this program that I can describe in depth if you would like) which allows you to sit for the LPC, CRC. UNT has multiple master's programs in counseling that allow for LPC licensure. UT Arlington has a good MSW program that produces awesome graduates which you can eventually earn your LCSW with appropriate hours post MSW. University of Houston and its satellite campuses (i.e. Downtown, Clear Lake, etc.) have master's programs in counseling and clinical psychology that allow you to sit for the LPC. Overall, you will find a good deal of master's level program in Texas, if working with a more social-justice oriented program, LGBT and activist approach to behavioral management is a goal of yours, TWU would be a good fit. If medical and rehabilitation approaches to counseling is an interest of yours, I recommend UTSW (also UNT, they have a M.S. in rehabilitation counseling as well, #1 in Texas).

Cost wise, if you are coming from out of state the tuition will always be higher at these public institutions, for Texans, the rates are really low and cost effective. For the entire 24 month master's program at UTSW, they quote $14,000 for Texans and $36,000 for non-residents. TWU is one of the cheapest schools in Texas, so if cost is important to you, I would look into these programs, UNT is also cheap. Also, if you want to be in a more metro-based area, all of these schools I listed will do you well, TAMU-Commerice is about an hour to 1.5 hours north east of Dallas in a rural-community (Commerce).

Hope this helps...I am a native Texan, lived in north Texas all of my life.

Sam Houston State has both MS in Forensic Psychology for LPA/LPC license and PhD in Clinical Psychology with Forensic specialization.

With LPC you can work in corrections but for Forensic evaluations in Texas you will have to be doctoral psychologist or Psychiatrist.

Texas has many jobs for masters prepared clinicians but their seems to be a surplus of these professionals. There is a shortage of doctoral level psychologists.

SMU LPC MS program has many that go into corrections and it seems highly respected whereas their new PhD clinical psych program is new and still developing. UNT has a Forensic emphasis with Richard Rogers on staff.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My question would be, what kinds of forensic work are you interested in doing? I am not a forensic psychologist by any stretch but I have worked with various aspects of the legal and correctional system. I will say that the doctorate would give many more options and also that some will get a degree in law as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
FWIW, I know a lot of people with Masters degrees in forensic psych and very few of them are doing anything related to forensic psych.

Edit: ... Actually, I don't think any of them are, come to think of it.

It is incorrect to say you cannot do forensic evaluations in Texas without a PhD/PsyD. LCSWs and LPCs do them all the time

I worked in Texas for 12 years in Adult probation and jail assessment units. I think it is semantics use of the word evaluation that maybe a misunderstanding. Forensic evaluations in Texas are all court ordered and according to Texas regulation it must be a licensed Psychologist or licensed psychiatrist with specialized training in forensics for competency evaluations and other forensic evaluations. Now the psychologist could have an LPA assisting in the evaluation under their supervision.

Texas has many protection of their laws so if an LCSW or LPC is claiming to do Forensic Evaluation they better check the laws. Now they maybe subpoena by the court as a witness but this is different than doing a forensic evaluation.

Posted using SDN Mobile

It is incorrect to say you cannot do forensic evaluations in Texas without a PhD/PsyD. LCSWs and LPCs do them all the time

Here is a Texas-based LCSW who does them and I know many more

http://www.texascounseling.org/Kim_England_CV.pdf

and here is job in Houston (there are many more postings if you Google it) looking for a master's level of a PhD to conduct them.

http://cachouston.org/forenisc-evaluation-position/

Yes...semantics as she is a licensed or certified mediator and she does social studies per court order but this is not a forensic evaluation. If you look at her website she does forensic mental health services and MS LCSW or LPC may do this but not Forensic Evaluations.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I live in El Paso, Texas but work in New Mexico. However, I can tell you that LCSWs and LPCs do forensic evaluations all the time.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.c...._Finstein_LCSW,LMFT,LSOTP_Dallas_Texas_81792

A Forensic evaluation is different than
What these masters licensed people are advertising. They can do therapy and counseling or family social studies but this is different than Forensic Evaluation as competency to stand trial or insanity defense.

Posted using SDN Mobile

You are right, many mid-level practitioners do provide some form of medico-legal services, but the capacity of what a forensic psychologist does is much more. An example: I am currently assisting my mentor on a forensic case sifting through 10 years worth of multiple neuropsychological evaluations from 6 different lawyers who all insisted on having a brand new battery administered when they took on this client. We compare their premorbid levels of function prior to their TBI to these neuropsych. assessments of each battery we have on them. Also, we typically research current forensic literature to help in the evaluation when we present in litigation. In this sense, you would need a competent practitioner who is educated and experienced at administering and evaluating these assessments. These would be restricted to neuropsychologists.

Hi everyone,

I'm sure the topic of a Masters in Psychology has been exhausted in this forum but I went through a lot of posts and still had some questions.

First off, I'm from Texas--I know there are different licensing regulations in each state.

I have just graduated with a Bachelors degree in Psychology and am starting to lean towards a Masters, instead of a PhD. I am interested in forensic psychology and want to pursue something in the legal system.

Questions:
1. The 2 licenses I am leaning towards are LPC and LCSW. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
2. In regards to LPC, if I get a Masters in clinical psychology, can I still sit for the LPC exam?
3. If there are any forensic psychologists on this forum, what are the job prospects for someone with a Masters in the field?
4. For jobs/licensing, is there a difference between getting a Masters in clinical or counseling?
5. For Texans, which schools would you recommend for a Masters program?
6. Texas State offers a Graduate Certificate in Forensic Psychology--would that be helpful? I've never heard of that and all it says on the website is that it "prepares individuals for career advancement."

These are all the questions I can think of right now... Thanks for the responses in advance! :) You guys are awesome for taking the time out to help a lost soul, like me!

1. LPC don't work in hospitals here in DFW, LMSW and LCSW do. Generally, the social worker has a more flexible degree but lack the sheer coursework in counseling that you would find in a counseling program.
2. Mostly, yes, you would also be able to sit for the LPA exam.
3. Can't help you out on this question
4. If the degree allows you and prepares you to sit for the LPC, then no...however, that is not to stop future employers from more subjective evaluations based on institution you attended. (Crappy, I know, but it can happen).
5. See my prior lengthy post above.
6. Can't help you on this question.

Wow, thank you for all of the responses! This has been very helpful!

I really think I want to get a Masters and then become a LPC. What is the difference between going the thesis track vs. non-thesis track? Like what are the advantages of doing the thesis?

Wow, thank you for all of the responses! This has been very helpful!

I really think I want to get a Masters and then become a LPC. What is the difference between going the thesis track vs. non-thesis track? Like what are the advantages of doing the thesis?

Check out Sam Houston State... They have the best forensic psychology program. Most counseling program do not have a thesis or testing courses. You don't need the thesis unless you want to get a PhD.

Posted using SDN Mobile