Master's of medicine and similar programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Featherfy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a double major in microbio and computer science and going into my junior year.

My GPA is subpar (3.346 now) but it is quite an improvement from 1st semester (2.82). Because of the double major I can probably bring it up to maybe 3.6-ish which is still out of a good range for PhD programs and I also have no research experience (still on the search)

I picked the majors out of interest. Like microbio, but...don't necessarily want to go to med school and I was unsure about grad school. I added computer science out of past interest and also it has more post-graduation options.

So, the thing is, before I bombed my first semester of college I had some slight interest in MD/PhD programs. But my GPA is extremely low for that and i have no research or clinical experience. The shot is just too high to make. Right now I'm considering continuing w/ both degrees and possibly continuing with a possible acceptance into my university's MS/BS in computer science.

I know it seems how my interests are everywhere, because they definitely are. I have a huge interest in medicine and when I did consider med school I was more interested in pathology as a career choice. I am very interested now (as my CS courses have progressed) in software and app development specifically in medical/health fields.

And when I thought abt med school I think what really interested me was the first 2 years, as brutal as they are w/ coursework, but the courses taken in those two years interest me. I guess I sort of don't want to be a doctor/have little chance of med school acceptance and also want the coursework so that I can apply it to the possible technological developments in the medical fields.

I found a few MOM programs (but I don't know if these fit what I'm interested in with the coursework similar to those of M1/2 med students) or if anyone had any other suggestions.

My school also offers a grad minor in anatomy and I was also kind of looking at doing that along with the MS/BS should I decide to do that (or take a few grad anatomy courses instead of th eminor)

*I have considered bioinformatics/comp bio as a graduate degree, but I'm worried about how specific of a degree it is and don't know the job outlook on those degrees in the next decade, for that reason I double majored because I'd have a well-rounded biological and computer science background that is applicable. I have growing interests in computational anatomy as well even though I know that field is more limited*

Members don't see this ad.