Masters of Public Health vs Doctors of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the difference? I'm contemplating getting an MPH before medical school, and I'm trying to become more familiar with everything. any knowledge or advice is appreciated.

also, I understand that some MPH programs can be completed in one year (ie. Dartmouth, BU...and sometimes ppl do so at Columbia), if there are any others please let me know. thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone completed an MPH at a UC (UCLA or UC Berkeley)? If so, would you recommend it? and did it cost $4500 for residents as it says so on their website?

I did my MPH at berkeley, and yes, after all fees its around 4k for residents for the whole year. Great program. great faculty.

DrPH is a doctoract level degree (duh) and usually you have to have a specific interest you want to pursue to get accepted into a DrPH program. At Berkeley, they often recruit MPH students into the DrPH program. The purported goal of the DrPH program is to produce leaders in public health. The MPH program is more of a technical degree. Unless you have extensive public health experience or a good reason, its probably unlikely they'll take you into the DrPH program.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, cool. Are you finishing this year? is it ok if I PM you sometime with questions on what your MPH entailed (e.g. research, thesis, which classes etc)?

yeah, I figured it's a doctorate degree heh. So it's an advanced degree for those interested in public health?

Originally posted by Winston Smith
ok, cool. Are you finishing this year? is it ok if I PM you sometime with questions on what your MPH entailed (e.g. research, thesis, which classes etc)?

yeah, I figured it's a doctorate degree heh. So it's an advanced degree for those interested in public health?

yeah just PM me.

Hey,
I got a master's from Johns Hopkins Public Health (oops sorry now it's called Bloomberg) last year. Actually they do it a little different at JHU. You can only get into the MPH program if you have 2 years of work experience or another advanced degree. I came right out of undergrad so I went into their MHS (master of health science) degree program. Basically at JHU the difference is that the MHS is a research degree and the MPH is a more broad, general degree. MHSers are in a department, and while MPHers can concentrate in an area, they don't have to write a thesis or anything. My MHS in environmental health took 1 year.

I can only provide info about places I considered:
Yale MPH 2 yrs
BU MPH 1yr
Columbia MPH 2 yrs...(columbia also recommends >2yrs work experience but if you have a demonstrated interest in public health you'll have a better shot if you're fresh out of undergrad (I did research in public health for 2 yrs as an undergrad))

Originally posted by greenie8
Hey,
I got a master's from Johns Hopkins Public Health (oops sorry now it's called Bloomberg) last year. Actually they do it a little different at JHU. You can only get into the MPH program if you have 2 years of work experience or another advanced degree. I came right out of undergrad so I went into their MHS (master of health science) degree program. Basically at JHU the difference is that the MHS is a research degree and the MPH is a more broad, general degree. MHSers are in a department, and while MPHers can concentrate in an area, they don't have to write a thesis or anything. My MHS in environmental health took 1 year.

I can only provide info about places I considered:
Yale MPH 2 yrs
BU MPH 1yr
Columbia MPH 2 yrs...(columbia also recommends >2yrs work experience but if you have a demonstrated interest in public health you'll have a better shot if you're fresh out of undergrad (I did research in public health for 2 yrs as an undergrad))

I got in the MPH programs with 1 year of lab research (not even related to public health)

as far as I know, only Harvard and Johns Hopkins are strict with the 2 years work experience. I had no problem with my applications to UCLA, UC Berkeley, Columbia, and UMich. I applied for a MHS at hopkins too but opted for the full MPH at a "lesser" school.

I got in the MPH programs with 1 year of lab research (not even related to public health)

as far as I know, only Harvard and Johns Hopkins are strict with the 2 years work experience. I had no problem with my applications to UCLA, UC Berkeley, Columbia, and UMich. I applied for a MHS at hopkins too but opted for the full MPH at a "lesser" school.

what do you mean by a lesse school? was it cheaper at berkeley than other places? and what was yr concentration? iam confused abt health policy and management, epidemiology and EHS i mean which is a beter fit for dentists? iam interested in doing DPH, any guidance from you would be appreciated?