Masters oral defense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gibbward

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am currently currently in a PhD program, but will leave after I finish up my Masters requirements and pursue an MD instead. An oral thesis proposal/oral defense is not required to finish up my Masters because the proposal is supposed to be the projects that will be done to finish up the PhD. However, my PI suggests that I do it anyway because it could strengthen the letters of recommendation from a faculty member that is in my Thesis Committee. I believe that the faculty member I would get an LOR from will write me a good letter as is since I have taken 4 classes with him and I did well in those classes.

Do you think it would be necessary for my application to do this oral defense even if it isn't a requirement? How would Adcoms view it if I do not go through this oral defense? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it would be necessary for my application to do this oral defense even if it isn't a requirement? How would Adcoms view it if I do not go through this oral defense? Thanks!
As long as the letters are good we won't know the difference.

Hello all!

I am currently currently in a PhD program, but will leave after I finish up my Masters requirements and pursue an MD instead. An oral thesis proposal/oral defense is not required to finish up my Masters because the proposal is supposed to be the projects that will be done to finish up the PhD. However, my PI suggests that I do it anyway because it could strengthen the letters of recommendation from a faculty member that is in my Thesis Committee. I believe that the faculty member I would get an LOR from will write me a good letter as is since I have taken 4 classes with him and I did well in those classes.

I say do the oral defense. It will be a great learning experience and can only help you grow. Trying to take the easy way out is not something that any aspiring doc should be considering.

Just my 2 cents...

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the letters are good we won't know the difference.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on talking to the professor to see just how much stronger the letter would be if I do the defense or not and decide from there.

I say do the oral defense. It will be a great learning experience and can only help you grow. Trying to take the easy way out is not something that any aspiring doc should be considering.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with what you are saying. Doing the oral defense will require me to think on my feet and should exercise my critical thinking skills. It is definitely a pain to go through the process so I won't deny that not doing it will make my life a lot easier (which is nice haha).

To a certain extent, my mindset into this is I could spend the time I would use in preparing for orals into getting more results that could eventually lead to a publication. The pub is definitely not a sure thing though, especially since getting good results have been difficult so far.

To a certain extent, my mindset into this is I could spend the time I would use in preparing for orals into getting more results that could eventually lead to a publication. The pub is definitely not a sure thing though, especially since getting good results have been difficult so far.
Good assessment. Use your time wisely.

Reactions: 2 users
Good assessment. Use your time wisely.

I guess I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to spend a lot of time on a sure thing (a better LOR from doing the oral defense) or something that looks better but may not actually happen (a publication). Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated!

I guess I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to spend a lot of time on a sure thing (a better LOR from doing the oral defense) or something that looks better but may not actually happen (a publication). Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated!
None of us knows how much better the letter might be. We have even less idea the odds of publication. Do what seems like the best use of your time.

Reactions: 1 users