Masters, Peace Corps, Both, or Neither?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted693526

Hey Everyone, I need Advice!

Some background info...Im 23
In College:
- biological sciences pre-prefessional degree
- 3.7 GPA
- college athlete 4 years
- volunteered in dialysis 35 hours
- student-athlete committee 4 years
- biology tutor 7 semesters, 4 hours/week
- Shadowed a DO - 60 hours
After College:
- AmeriCorps 10 months 1,875 hours
Now:
Working as a Medical Assistant

I took the MCAT last summer and didn't do well, I will be taking it again this summer
I've always wanted to do Peace Corps & I'm itching to volunteer abroad

What would be the best option considering my background, the likelihood of getting into med-school, and the age timeline? IDK if 26 or 27 is too old (= above the average)? My first choice is DO, MD, then PA

OPTION 1- Entering in the fall for a Peace Corps Masters Program, coming out at 26, fall of 2018, my MCAT would have expired in this instance
Pros: Masters & PC
Cons: Ed Award gone, MCAT expired, retake MCAT, apply to 2019 class, entering at age 27

OR

OPTION 2- Applying for a PC position for earliest departure in January 2016, coming out at 26, spring of 2018, my MCAT could still be useful (only if I take it in september?) Work as a medical assistant until I depart...
Pros: More MA Hours, PC & MCAT doesn't expire
Cons: I have to move my MCAT to Sept & I have to apply while I'm in PC to get into the 2018 class, entering at age 26

OR

OPTION 3- Work as a MA and do Global Service Corps using my AmeriCorps Ed Award or a different short term program and apply for the next entering class in 2016 or 2017
Pros: More MA Hours, GSC or different experience, apply to 2016 or 2017 class, Work as a FEMA Reservists potentially too
Cons: No PC, Ed Award Gone

WHAT YALL THINK?! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume since you are posting this in re-applicant you already applied once but it doesn't sound like it based off what you wrote so have you?

What does not doing well on the MCAT entail? A 28? Or something more like a 21? Because everything else on your application would indicate an exceptional candidate for a DO and a pretty strong one for MD as well.

From what I've read, as long as you are under 30, your age to medical schools when you apply isn't really a major factor so the last thing you should be thinking is "I want to do PeaceCorps really bad but I won't because being 26 by the time I'm done will damage my chances of getting into med school". Bottom line: being 26 is not too old to med schools by any means.

It sounds like PeaceCorps is something really on your mind and something you are really interested in so if it is then go for it. I would tend to lean towards trying to take the MCAT now and apply while its still valid rather than going abroad for a couple years, not having any interaction with science or anything academically related to it. Having to re-study after not doing anything science related for years after PeaceCorps several years from now sounds horrible and not a recipe for success considering you already had problems with it the first time and really need to make this one count with little room for error. But at the same time I'll say this-----you really have to make this MCAT attempt count. Doing poorly again is not a situation you want to put yourself in. So if you are going to take it this summer, give it your best effort and make sure your practice test scores are in the range you want and that you have a legitimate reason to believe you'll do alot better this time around.

Your GPA isn't the problem, so you don't need a MS.

How bad was the MCAT? Even a year in the Peace Corp won't redeem a poor score. An average to below-average score? yes.

Hey Everyone, I need Advice!

Some background info...Im 23
In College:
- biological sciences pre-prefessional degree
- 3.7 GPA
- college athlete 4 years
- volunteered in dialysis 35 hours
- student-athlete committee 4 years
- biology tutor 7 semesters, 4 hours/week
- Shadowed a DO - 60 hours
After College:
- AmeriCorps 10 months 1,875 hours
Now:
Working as a Medical Assistant

I took the MCAT last summer and didn't do well, I will be taking it again this summer
I've always wanted to do Peace Corps & I'm itching to volunteer abroad

What would be the best option considering my background, the likelihood of getting into med-school, and the age timeline? IDK if 26 or 27 is too old (= above the average)? My first choice is DO, MD, then PA

OPTION 1- Entering in the fall for a Peace Corps Masters Program, coming out at 26, fall of 2018, my MCAT would have expired in this instance
Pros: Masters & PC
Cons: Ed Award gone, MCAT expired, retake MCAT, apply to 2019 class, entering at age 27

OR

OPTION 2- Applying for a PC position for earliest departure in January 2016, coming out at 26, spring of 2018, my MCAT could still be useful (only if I take it in september?) Work as a medical assistant until I depart...
Pros: More MA Hours, PC & MCAT doesn't expire
Cons: I have to move my MCAT to Sept & I have to apply while I'm in PC to get into the 2018 class, entering at age 26

OR

OPTION 3- Work as a MA and do Global Service Corps using my AmeriCorps Ed Award or a different short term program and apply for the next entering class in 2016 or 2017
Pros: More MA Hours, GSC or different experience, apply to 2016 or 2017 class, Work as a FEMA Reservists potentially too
Cons: No PC, Ed Award Gone

WHAT YALL THINK?! thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do your research on PeaceCorps. I am in AmeriCorps right now and have talked to a number of PeaceCorps folks. They are NOT equivalent. The PeaceCorps people have had quite a bit to say about the safety, support etc through PeaceCorps. I have heard of a LOT of problems (I am talking about real problems not complaining that you are in the middle of no where and don't get paid enough). Just do your research and know what you are getting into.

If you want to do international travel there are other good options (for low cost) of doing that, and none of this changes the fact that you haven't (at least not that we can see here) critically evaluated what you need to improve to get accepted. Experiences are an important part of applying, but you need to balance gpa, mcat, research etc. GL!