Masters Program For Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I have applied through PASS for MS in Prostho to 8 schools this year. I dont know if I stand a chance though, as I am a foreign trained dentist (GPA 4.0, NBDE Part 1 88, Toefl 111, recommendations and one pending publication). I was wondering if I should start preparing for part2 or wait till I hear from schools...but any idea what the chances of getting through are?

what are the job prospects after doing this program?

Members don't see this ad.

. If you are a foreign trained dentist (without DDS/DMD from USA or Canada) and have an excellent application package ..for a graduate program ..(high scores in TOEFL, NBDE 1&2, GRE, high GPA, experience, recommendations & publications) then, there is a chance for you to get accepted in a graduate dental program other than: Ortho, Endo, Perio,..Oral Surgery and.. Pros (i.e. Dental Materials, Public Health, Oral Biology, Radiology, AEGD, GPR or maybe Pedo...etc)..
The graduate programs in USA in general take only applicants form accredited dental schools by the ADA or an overseas international student (outside USA and they prefer Europeans).

Sadly I have learned that after I have wasted a LOT of money, time, stress and more over EMOTIONS. Also stay away from Rednecks schools (Alabama, Mississippi & Georgia) as I have been humiliated by UAB (University of Alabama Dental School).

. I hope if I read such post one year ago so I wouldn't hurt myself with the graduate programs, focused on the foreign trained dentist programs/applying all the way back to dental school and that's why I am forwarding my experience to the foreign trained dentists who share the same frustration as I do.

Here we are not dentists, looked down at our experience, education and NOT welcomed.
.Sad but true. .

No really!!?? honestly?? actually I have also been looking into different USA, Canadian and UK dental schools for masters in endo..what do you advise? shall i go for MDS or fellowship in my own country or go for MSc to West?? I am from Pakistan and the only reason am not going for MDS here in my city is that there is a severe lack of fine training here. I had a bad experience of bachelors. The fellowship program in Pakistan (by College of Physicians and Surgeons) is a quality excellent program but its extremenly tough to enter and tough to pass as well after completing your four year residency. Please suggest me what to do?

Hi Everyone
does anyone have a list of the states where u r licensed to practice after a direct MSD from US univ... ?
if so please share..... Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!
what are the job rospects after masters in oral biology...does it really helps in getting thru dental school in US

Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!
Hello!
Since you're doing your PhD can you tell me the job prospects for a foreign trained dentist after getting a MS degree in Oral Biology?

You dont really have to be a bachelors in oral biology from US university to get into MA oral biology. With BDS u have an additional advantage. If u have a decent GPA and GRE around 1200, you have a good chance for MS oralbiology. But the only thing is, u have to take care of your tution expenses until u get some form of assistanship. I know you addressed the question to someone else, hope my reply will give you an idea.
All the best!

Do you know about the job prospects after MS Oral Biology for foreign trained dentists?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
This is a great thread as I am absolutely confused.
I am deciding to either go for the advanced placement, OR a specialty program in endodontics (yes I like endo, weird).
I contacted the state boards and they told me " if you finish a specialty program in the states, you will end up with a limited license to work in hospitals or like government clinics, however, you won't be able to open a private practice unless your DDS/DMD is from an ADA accredited school). Also, You would require a social security number ( which I have no idea what the procedure is to acquire that).

please if anyone has any info

hii frnds....im a foreign trained dentist from india...completed bds in 2012..now im in usa with dependent visa...im planning to be in usa for 3 yrs..
so im not planning for DDS/DMD....i would like to do some courselike masters or research program in usa so that it would be useful to me to pursue my career in india once i go back there...so please frnds help me by sharing ur inputs...
any help will be appreciated...

Dear Dr.
Thanks for allowing me to shoot my questions on you. well me are an oral pathologist from India. me finished my masters recently and me want to know about he Phd program as well as the prospects after Phd. me will be grateful to you if you can provide me information on how to apply and what is the eligibility criteria for the same. waiting in anticipation
Dr. Manish Juneja

Hi Dr. Manish Juneja,

Its good to know an Oral Pathologist from INDIA. Me too in the same boat now. Please guide me how to proceed now. I am preparing for NBDe part 1.Would like to apply for MS programs. Did you find any PHD program?

Do you know about the job prospects after MS Oral Biology for foreign trained dentists?
Im also interested to know this. I am U.S citizen (I have social security number)that has completed my B.D.S degree in South Africa. I have 2 years work experience in government sector. I also have experience in research(published as 1st auther) in my undergraduate program. I am interested in research and training posts...Are there any prospects in doing MS in oral biology? I would like to go and work in US in non clinical dental field preferably. what are my steps? GRE? do I have to do TOEFEL?

Reactions: 1 user
hi all,

I am interested in knowing the job prospects and scope of Masters on oral biology in USA for FTD? please help...urgent...am deciding...

I am interested in pursuing a master's/residency program and would like to discuss experiences with those who are or will be in the same route. Yahoo chat michelleg5254(at)yahoo(dot)com. Voice and text work. Hope to hear from y'all! Michelle xoxo

am interested in pursuing a master's/residency program and would like to discuss experiences with those who are or will be in the same route. Yahoo chat michelleg5254(at)yahoo(dot)com. Voice and text work. Hope to hear from y'all! Michelle xoxo

Hi I hav recently completed my bds from mumbai. I want to pursue post grad in ms orthodontics in usa or canada. Can anyone who is already into post grad program give me some information on this topic. I directly want to get into ms without dds. I know it is difficult but is it possible. What r the things which I need to address before applying to build up a strong cv.