Masters program: masters in biotech or MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which masters?

• Biotech

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • MPH

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bioethics

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

ral22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply to a masters program that I want to complete during my gap years. The school I work for offers a masters in biotech and an MPH. Which one would do you think would be better? They also offer a masters in bioethics which I might be interested in. Which would be best?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you're more interested in biomedical research, then go for biotech. If you like social science research, go with MPH.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking at something to help you get into med school, an MPH won't really do much for you (at least from everything I've seen). Pursue whichever you're more interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MPH is more useful later on.

I am interested in both but would like something that would increase my chances of admission, would biotech be the pick then?

I am interested in both but would like something that would increase my chances of admission, would biotech be the pick then?
I think it all depends on the curriculum of both programs. I recently graduated from a great one year biotech program that allowed for a lot of flexibility in the courses. Only 3 courses mandatory within the Biotech realm and all others are chosen based on the desires of the student. I was able to take several classes at taught by professors at the medical center (Mechanisms in Human Disease, Virology and Systems Neuroscience) including a few PhD level classes that I really enjoyed. This program also let you choose a lab to complete a 6 hour research rotation over the summer for the basis of your graduate thesis.

My advice would be to look into the curriculum of the programs you're interested in and see if you might reach out to previous students. If you have more questions about my program, I'd be happy to speak with you. Send me a conversation invite and I'll get you all the information. Also no GRE needed for this one!

The graduate chair of the public health program knows the admission director of my state medical school. The grad chair told me that science masters carry more weight than public health masters for their medical school. So based on that I would say go with the biotech degree.

Have you taken the MCAT ?

Just wondering. I think biotech would also help if you havent taken MCAT.

In either case you would want to use the degree if you can possibly.

Doing a Master's in biotech, right now. Most of my curriculum is applicable to what you'll be learning during MS-1 (for instance, we're learning about biochemical cascades and the pathology implicated in when they malfunction). It's a nice primer. But, then again, I love my program.

I think it all depends on the curriculum of both programs. I recently graduated from a great one year biotech program that allowed for a lot of flexibility in the courses. Only 3 courses mandatory within the Biotech realm and all others are chosen based on the desires of the student. I was able to take several classes at taught by professors at the medical center (Mechanisms in Human Disease, Virology and Systems Neuroscience) including a few PhD level classes that I really enjoyed. This program also let you choose a lab to complete a 6 hour research rotation over the summer for the basis of your graduate thesis.

My advice would be to look into the curriculum of the programs you're interested in and see if you might reach out to previous students. If you have more questions about my program, I'd be happy to speak with you. Send me a conversation invite and I'll get you all the information. Also no GRE needed for this one!

Hey, I was wondering if you were still willing to share any details about your masters program. It sounds really interesting. I'm planning to apply for next year and this one really sounds like something that'd be really beneficial.