Master's Program Starting in Spring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoopaggie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a master's program that starts in Spring since I'm graduating with my bachelor's this fall. The primary reason is so that I can raise my GPA and increase my chance of going to med school. Can anyone give me a list of good master's programs that start in spring?

Members don't see this ad.

Most masters programs will NOT help your UG GPA, other than specifically SMPs and that is indirect as a function of programs reputation, linkages, and feeder schools. There are a few schools that do a specific replacement on GPA but they are few and far between

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/post-bac-smp-honoring-medical-schools.1076406/#post-16426648
Thanks! Yes, I was somewhat aware of the fact that my undergrad GPA will not be replaced by Master's, but wasn't 100% sure. So I hear a lot about people doing Master's program and getting into med school, which is why I'm planning to do a Master's. Right now, as a Texas resident, my uGPA is 3.60 and by the time I graduate, it'll be 3.63. For out of state, I'm afraid that my GPA would be a lot lower. I withdrew from biochem II a year ago and retook it this semester, but to my surprise, I got a C in the course with 79% after the final exam, and I plan to retake it. It's the first advanced science course where I did not get an A. My GPA showed an upward trend throughout my undergrad until it hit 4.0 last semester, but I got 3.4 this semester because of the biochem class (I got A's in all other courses including gross anatomy) My friend who has already secured his spot in med school through connections and his 4.0 GPA has told me that 3.6 GPA is just not going to make it for med school, which I think is a very realistic say. But a lot of people on SDN told me that 3.6 is just fine for med school. I don't know which advice I should listen to. So I'm thinking that my best shot here is doing a master's or post-bac that starts in spring. Would appreciate it if you could give me any advice or a list of post-bac programs that that you know starts in spring

A few points

1) Dont retake a course C or better. Take a different upper level course in Bio or Chem. Retake for MD application doesnt do anything.
2) Depending on the rest of your application, a 3.6 and solid MCAT is competitive. Research that before you drop a boat load of debt and money on a SMP.
3) Unless you have poor prereq grades a formal postbacc wont do much
4) you may be better off getting a few additional upper level courses as "DIY postbacc" to show some solid work
5) spend your money on MCAT prep and do well, will be a much bigger impact on your record.
6) Dont let the 1 C bug you. Really, a single C in a tough class with a sterling record otherwise in a term would appear to me as the "ball-buster" professor

So do all that, apply, and then if you dont get in revisit masters
Thank you. That really helps me a lot with planning what I really need to do. So I have poor prereq grades (just had a bad freshman year). So as a confirmation of point 3 that you made, I have one question to ask. so since my prereqs aren't in good shape, would you say a formal postbacc could be helpful? I don't think I have enough time to take a few more upper-level courses though because I'm graduating this December, but I'm planning to take physiology in the fall (that counts as one I guess). Also, I made my decision to pursue medicine pretty recently and have nothing really spectacular on my resume except for 1000+ hours of working as a biomedical research assistant (no longer do research and did not do a thesis) and 500 hrs of community services.
I had people tell me to just do well on MCAT and work on extracurricular activities until next summer, which is the very advice you gave me, but I have poor prereq grades. Do you still think that I should just concentrate on MCAT instead of doing a postbacc?