Masters vs Post Bacc (+moving to a new city)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artisan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just joined SDN. So basically here's my dilemma. I will be getting my bachelors in August 2016. My science gpa is a 2.9 and my cumulative gpa right now is a 3.23. I've already taken 2 semesters of Biology and got B's in those. I've also taking one semester of physics (A), two semesters of Chemistry (C's). So right now I need to still take organic chem, another semester of physics, and probably Biochem. In August 2016 or either by Jan 2017, I want to move to MO. The post bac I was looking at is at Avila, but I was also contemplating a masters in biomedical sciences from KCUMB or a masters in nutrition from KU. Basically, I need advice/insight on which program to choose with my ultimate goal of getting into med school. With the masters programs, I would need to take pre-reqs then apply. The threads on those programs are older so I was wondering if anybody has been to these programs or have any good insight. I have contacted them both and done some research but hearing more from students who are in/completed these programs would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the delayed response. Applying for residency now so stalking sdn way more often. Been awhile since I looked at this forum.

I was living in KC and did my post-bacc at Avila. Out of the few options in the area, I'd highly recommend it. Dr. Sullivan is the program director and head science guy in the relatively small department, but he knows what he's doing and got me where I wanted to be. I basically had to start from scratch for science/math requirements and I was able to get everything done in 3 semesters. At our first meeting, we sat down and planned out my entire course of study based on his knowledge of when different courses were offered. It was great to have a solid plan after my first encounter.

This may not be of value to you 4 months later--sorry! If you have any other q's, feel free to PM me. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the delayed response. Applying for residency now so stalking sdn way more often. Been awhile since I looked at this forum.

I was living in KC and did my post-bacc at Avila. Out of the few options in the area, I'd highly recommend it. Dr. Sullivan is the program director and head science guy in the relatively small department, but he knows what he's doing and got me where I wanted to be. I basically had to start from scratch for science/math requirements and I was able to get everything done in 3 semesters. At our first meeting, we sat down and planned out my entire course of study based on his knowledge of when different courses were offered. It was great to have a solid plan after my first encounter.

This may not be of value to you 4 months later--sorry! If you have any other q's, feel free to PM me. Cheers.

Thanks so much for replying! I am still trying to decide where to go. I've been accepted to Avila, but I want to be sure it's a good program because I'll be moving about 16 hours from home to go there lol but how were the classes? Was it easy to register? Also did they have any clinical opportunities to build your resume and exposure while in the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for replying! I am still trying to decide where to go. I've been accepted to Avila, but I want to be sure it's a good program because I'll be moving about 16 hours from home to go there lol but how were the classes? Was it easy to register? Also did they have any clinical opportunities to build your resume and exposure while in the program?
Is there some external reason you are moving to KC (other than that it is amazing, of course)? I would not move here just to go to Avila. It's far from what I once read about "formal" post-bacc programs. Like I wrote above, I pretty much just hashed out how I could get all the req's in in a timely fashion with Dr. Sullivan, and that's about it. I recall only two other non-trad types during my 3 semesters there--one was also doing pre-med req's and the other was pre-dentistry. Other than that, it was class with 10-20 college kids for the most part. I appreciated the lack of structure bc it allowed me to go to class, do my homework, and then work a mindless job 25-35 hours/week. If you are looking for something more structured, this is not the program for you. I don't recall any specific clinical opportunities--I just volunteered at a nearby ER.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there some external reason you are moving to KC (other than that it is amazing, of course)? I would not move here just to go to Avila. It's far from what I once read about "formal" post-bacc programs. Like I wrote above, I pretty much just hashed out how I could get all the req's in in a timely fashion with Dr. Sullivan, and that's about it. I recall only two other non-trad types during my 3 semesters there--one was also doing pre-med req's and the other was pre-dentistry. Other than that, it was class with 10-20 college kids for the most part. I appreciated the lack of structure bc it allowed me to go to class, do my homework, and then work a mindless job 25-35 hours/week. If you are looking for something more structured, this is not the program for you. I don't recall any specific clinical opportunities--I just volunteered at a nearby ER.

Yes my bf lives there. They have a January start, so that's another reason I wanna go. I've also applied to the program at Meredith College. I need to be able to work so the flexibility at Avila is pretty good. I just want to be able to get my classes done and enhance my application for medical school. Also thank you for responding, it's really helpful to talk to someone who has been through the program.

Yes my bf lives there. They have a January start, so that's another reason I wanna go. I've also applied to the program at Meredith College. I need to be able to work so the flexibility at Avila is pretty good. I just want to be able to get my classes done and enhance my application for medical school. Also thank you for responding, it's really helpful to talk to someone who has been through the program.

Sounds like a pretty good plan! Just one more thing I thought of: if you are looking for more advanced courses, just make sure they are offered in a time frame that works for you. I don't remember the specifics, but genetics and biochem were only offered like every other year or something and didn't work for me, so I had to take them elsewhere. I was able to do a condensed summer genetics course an hour away at Central Missouri and biochem online through Colorado State. Random, but it worked. I'd highly recommend meeting with or at least speaking to Dr. Sullivan before you make any final commitments just so you get your courses done in a timely fashion.

My pleasure! Hope it works out for you.