Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

MATCH 2005 early or late?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by mountaindew2006, 09.29.04.

1. mountaindew2006

mountaindew2006 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey a friend of mine is going into med/peds and she's wondering whether she should set up her interview early or late? Early=nov, early dec. Late =rest

her thinking is if u interview early, both you and the interviewer are energetic, etc. the later you do it though, the more likely PD ppl are going to remember you.

any thoughts??
  2. BellKicker

BellKicker Twisted Miler

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yesterday a PC told me that interviewing late was the best choice. How did this happen? I told her half jokingly "I want the latest date you have". I guess that was unusual because she went on to explain how everyone thought the early dates were better but, in fact, the last interviewees were often ranked the highest.

Then again, you won't have a chance to go to a second look if you interview in February.
  3. nyresident

nyresident Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    if you interview at 12 places, some will have to be in november, and some will have to be in january. can't win... especially when the programs you're less enthusiastic about offer you the interviews first and you're sort of committed to scheduling in order to get the dates you want.
  4. mountaindew2006

mountaindew2006 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    well in her situation, i think all her places will give her an interview since they've been doing so so far. But i sorta agree with the above poster in terms of when to interview, especially at places you like. I agree with the fact that you should first interview at places ur not serious about (to sorta practice) and then be a refined interviewee wtih the program you really like.

well tell me what you all think...keep it coming
  5. PeterY

PeterY Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    too early you are inexperienced

too late and you are burned out

i would try to schedule the interviews that you care most about right around the middle, say december. that being said, rumors persist that interviewing in january will help you rank higher than in november...

Peter
  6. fourthyearmed

fourthyearmed Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Can you do second looks after the interview season in over but before the match list goes in? Say maybe in early February?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal