Match 2014 Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nebraska. Number 1.

And since I just heard you all say Nebraska?! I had interview invites on both coasts and many places in between. Wake was my number 2. But as an old married guy Nebraska offers a great situation for my family, as well as a great and growing program. Definitely one that would be more highly coveted if in a coastal state.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nebraska. Number 1.

And since I just heard you all say Nebraska?! I had interview invites on both coasts and many places in between. Wake was my number 2. But as an old married guy Nebraska offers a great situation for my family, as well as a great and growing program. Definitely one that would be more highly coveted if in a coastal state.

Congrats! I'll be a CA1 this summer. I agree with you, Nebraska is a gem. I didn't expect to like it so much before I interviewed. And, they're building up their fellowship programs too with newly added peds and CC. Omaha looks like a great place for my family, too. Can't wait for July!

Those in this years match have access to the list via the "reports" section of the NRMP website. I'm guessing it will be released to the public shortly. Very interesting to see these spots left open in what everyone seems to be (possibly falsely) espousing as an increasingly competitive match across all specialties.
I think top programs having a handful of spots left between them is expected, it happens every year since they value themselves so highly. What's most surprising is some programs completely bombed, having a ton of spots open.

I'm guessing those had some serious issues driving applicants away.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it good etiquette to write a thank you note to you PD for accepting you. I haven't heard anything from my program yet?

I sent the PD, APD and secretaries thank you emails after I matched. I got an official letter, but didn't hear from the PD. Probably because I matched advanced for them. But they were quick and enthusiastic with their responses. So I don't think it would hurt if you didn't, but it would like nice if you did.

I won't post the name of the program, but I was just looking over the "NRMP Match Outcome for All Institutions by State 2014" pdf, and one of the programs has 8 spots (Categorical+Advanced), but only matched 1 applicant. How the hell is that possible!? Is this just bad planning on the part of the hospital?

I won't post the name of the program, but I was just looking over the "NRMP Match Outcome for All Institutions by State 2014" pdf, and one of the programs has 8 spots (Categorical+Advanced), but only matched 1 applicant. How the hell is that possible!? Is this just bad planning on the part of the hospital?

I can't find this document on the nrmp website. Can you link to it?

That was very shocking when I was looking it over. That and another popular program that had 8 out of 13 advanced spots open.

One has to assume there was something going on during those interviews or the program vastly overrated themselves.

Last edited:

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. I know that program likes to use advanced spots specifically for people in the military and often fill those 2 post-SOAP, but why 5 of 6 categorical spots went unfilled...couldn't fathom.

you guys sure we can't talk about the programs that didn't fill? Almost every other sub-forum is openly discussing the report and we talked about it last year without issue.... People posted the regional report that was released on monday as soon as it was posted, nobody made a fuss about it.

you guys sure we can't talk about the programs that didn't fill? Almost every other sub-forum is openly discussing the report and we talked about it last year without issue.... People posted the regional report that was released on monday as soon as it was posted, nobody made a fuss about it.
Do you really feel like risking your residency match position? Nobody will fault you for being cautious.
Why can't we talk about it? The info is public
The info is public when you can see it without logging in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really feel like risking your residency match position? Nobody will fault you for being cautious.

The info is public when you can see it without logging in.
I matched to a program that DID fill and I do not need to jeopardize that by talking about some random program that didn't

At my local med schools EM was chosen 3 to 1 over Anesthesiology. Is that a Regional thing? Perhaps, the CRNA issue is bigger here because Med Students see the CRNA in the OR more than other regions?

Anyone want to chime in about their class choosing Anesthesiology in greater numbers over EM? I suspect the AMG pool is picking EM in larger numbers. Please feel free to quote some actual Match data.

At my local med schools EM was chosen 3 to 1 over Anesthesiology. Is that a Regional thing? Perhaps, the CRNA issue is bigger here because Med Students see the CRNA in the OR more than other regions?

Anyone want to chime in about their class choosing Anesthesiology in greater numbers over EM? I suspect the AMG pool is picking EM in larger numbers. Please feel free to quote some actual Match data.
My med school this year had 3:2 anesthesia to EM

It was roughly the same last year when I graduated, but I know quite a few who applied to EM that didn't match, so it may have been closer to 1:1.

Last edited:
My program rarely sends many to anesthesia, but it mainly has to do with the fact we have no program here and no exposure to it unless you seek it actively. Eastern Midwest I suppose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who nearly went in to anesthesia, I'm interested what people in the specialty make of categorical and advanced positions going unfilled at some big name places (BID, BW, and Cornell all had open positions) per the NRMP data released today.

Fluke, intentional choice (thinking/hoping they could pick up a stronger applicant in the SOAP), or indication it was much more of a buyer's market in anesthesia than in years past (e.g. programs didn't interview/build out their ROLs enough)?

This intrigued me as I was glancing through the data as you just don't see residency positions in any specialty at one of the Harvard affiliates (or any Ivy) go unfilled all that often.
I think they probably did not rank everyone that they interviewed and probably were just thinking they would pick up a good applicant in the SOAP but I would think the very top Anesthesia applicants would be applying to these programs and they would have plenty of good choices.
Its kind of frustrating that programs become this selective to the point of not matching fully. I didnt get the opportunity to interview at these programs but I did match at one of the top programs in the country. Did anyone interview at any of these places and rank them above the current program you matched at? What advantage would it be for a program to pick up an Ortho or Derm applicant in the SOAP that didn't want Anesthesia vs an almost equally as strong Anesthesia candidate who would love to match there?

I think they probably did not rank everyone that they interviewed and probably were just thinking they would pick up a good applicant in the SOAP but I would think the very top Anesthesia applicants would be applying to these programs and they would have plenty of good choices.
Its kind of frustrating that programs become this selective to the point of not matching fully. I didnt get the opportunity to interview at these programs but I did match at one of the top programs in the country. Did anyone interview at any of these places and rank them above the current program you matched at? What advantage would it be for a program to pick up an Ortho or Derm applicant in the SOAP that didn't want Anesthesia vs an almost equally as strong Anesthesia candidate who would love to match there?

If you matched at a top program, perhaps these programs thought you were out of their reach. With limited interview days/resources, maybe they don't want to waste an interview slot on a candidate who is only using them as a back up.

Blade,

EM has been more competitive than Gas for at least 3 years. More people apply than do for anesthesia overall. More people fail to match EM than gas as well. People like the shift work, less encroachment, more security (I mean, as flawed as the current EMTALA is hospitals are using the ER as bridges to admissions purposely, in my area hospitals have billboards with current wait times for crying out loud....).

Also the avg med school requires a legit EM rotation while the same cant be said for anesthesia so more are exposed to it. Avg matched board scores are still slightly higher for gas however if you want to use that metric as a gauge of competitiveness, though I'd think % that match and how many don't is a better metric.

P.S. I'm unapologetically anesthesia all the way. I was between the two. But I'd have ended up playing in traffic if I had to obs every atypical CP, fill scripts, and treat URIs all day in an "emergency" room.

As someone who nearly went in to anesthesia, I'm interested what people in the specialty make of categorical and advanced positions going unfilled at some big name places (BID, BW, and Cornell all had open positions) per the NRMP data released today.

Fluke, intentional choice (thinking/hoping they could pick up a stronger applicant in the SOAP), or indication it was much more of a buyer's market in anesthesia than in years past (e.g. programs didn't interview/build out their ROLs enough)?

This intrigued me as I was glancing through the data as you just don't see residency positions in any specialty at one of the Harvard affiliates (or any Ivy) go unfilled all that often.

BID announced that their Chair was leaving right before rank lists were due. It definitely had an affect on my list, I would assume it affected others as well

Also the avg med school requires a legit EM rotation while the same cant be said for anesthesia so more are exposed to it. Avg matched board scores are still slightly higher for gas however if you want to use that metric as a gauge of competitiveness, though I'd think % that match and how many don't is a better metric.

Funny, I went to an average to more-than-average med school, and I had a required week of anesthesia, no EM at all. I think shift work with trauma was a big turn-on for those that matched last year from my class.

My school doesn't require any emergency medicine or anesthesiology. I think in the last 5 or 6 years there have been more entering EM from my institution.

I thought I would really like EM then I had my required EM month. I describe it as primary care on steroids. I strongly dislike primary care and you couldn't pay me enough to do EM. When you get truly sick patients it's great but for the other 90-95% of the patients no thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
If you matched at a top program, perhaps these programs thought you were out of their reach. With limited interview days/resources, maybe they don't want to waste an interview slot on a candidate who is only using them as a back up.
I see what your saying but I highly doubt BW and BID are back ups. I called these programs a couple times expressing my strong interest and I would have ranked them #1 had I gotten an interview. I really wanted to be in boston but Boston is not the most DO friendly place and that's their prerogative, I'm just frustrated they didn't even fill up

I see what your saying but I highly doubt BW and BID are back ups. I called these programs a couple times expressing my strong interest and I would have ranked them #1 had I gotten an interview. I really wanted to be in boston but Boston is not the most DO friendly place and that's their prerogative, I'm just frustrated they didn't even fill up

Sorry, I'm not an applicant so I don't know which programs went unfilled. I agree, programs like BW and BID aren't back-ups. That being said, I also didn't know you were a DO. I think that says it all.

Sorry, I'm not an applicant so I don't know which programs went unfilled. I agree, programs like BW and BID aren't back-ups. That being said, I also didn't know you were a DO. I think that says it all.
I love this place... people are always so friendly.

Your missing my point which is these places don't fill when they have perfectly good applicants right in front of them... My question is why. I was just using myself as an example. I'm sure there were md applicants who interviewed there that were great. I can imagine they ranked all of their interviewees and did not fill and if they did then maybe they should have looked at more kids Including those with those terrible letters after thier name.

And by the way BW does have a DO in their program I talked to them about it so it is in the realm of possibility

Last edited:

I'm sincerely sorry that you didn't get to interview at an institution that you were really interested in. However, just be happy that you ended up matching into your desired specialty. There were a lot of good candidates (both M.D. and D.O.) who did not match into anesthesiology. GME is a numbers game, and just be glad that you have a seat at the table. I can't imagine what those individuals who were not able to match and/or SOAP are going through.

I'm sincerely sorry that you didn't get to interview at an institution that you were really interested in. However, just be happy that you ended up matching into your desired specialty. There were a lot of good candidates (both M.D. and D.O.) who did not match into anesthesiology. GME is a numbers game, and just be glad that you have a seat at the table. I can't imagine what those individuals who were not able to match and/or SOAP are going through.
Your absolutely right and I am sooo happy where I matched. I have no regrets. I'd like to get back to the original reason for the post and hear where some other kids matched. My main reason for posting was to hear why people think these strong programs did not fill and also if there was anyone who had ranked them higher then the program they matched at.

Your absolutely right and I am sooo happy where I matched. I have no regrets. I'd like to get back to the original reason for the post and hear where some other kids matched. My main reason for posting was to hear why people think these strong programs did not fill and also if there was anyone who had ranked them higher then the program they matched at.
These programs know that a very strong resident from another residency like General Surgery will end up at their program. They have a history of filling up with top level people. This has been going on in anesthesia for 3 decades now and nothing has changed. They would rather remain unfilled than accept a person they view as "beneath them" in terms of statistics. Also, Program directors aren't as concerned about the initial specialty choice of a person compared to his/her statistics. That is the way the game is played for top 20 programs.

Yea I guess I would just think the kids they brought in to interview the first round would have been pretty stellar but maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway to answer your original question blade our school is probably 2:1 em to anes

Yea I guess I would just think the kids they brought in to interview the first round would have been pretty stellar but maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway to answer your original question blade our school is probably 2:1 em to anes

I think the candidates that they brought in to interview were probably stellar that is the reason why they didn't fill - because the same top institution were fighting after the same group interviewed candidates.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the candidates that they brought in to interview were probably stellar that is the reason why they didn't fill - because the same top institution were fighting after the same group interviewed candidates.

Completely agree. The entire northeast corridor was interviewing the same 100+ people. My sense is that applicants applied to/interviewed at more programs. So a few programs ended up short at the end of match day.

BID announced that their Chair was leaving right before rank lists were due. It definitely had an affect on my list, I would assume it affected others as well

PD decided to take the high road. Classier choice than letting everyone know the day after the match. Get people who want to be there, rather than a bunch who start training thinking you lied to them. There are several other Chairs that will be leaving soon. Frankly, doesn't make much if any difference for most residency programs. Good PD, however, worth their weight in gold.

Completely agree. The entire northeast corridor was interviewing the same 100+ people. My sense is that applicants applied to/interviewed at more programs. So a few programs ended up short at the end of match day.

I interviewed at more programs than recommended.

Applicants will do what's in their best interest, as will residency programs.

This ultimately leads to applicants going on 20 interviews and programs ranking 200 for 10 slots.

Talked to NRMP, they said we were free to discuss it. If I was told incorrectly, feel free to remove it mods, or I can take it down.

Full List. Includes research and R positions

Stanford - 2
UF - 6
Rush - 9
UIC - 4
Maryland - 6
Beth Israel - 2
B&W - 1
Tufts - 1
UMass - 7
Beumont - 1
Henry Ford - 4
Minnesota - 1
MO-Kansas - 1
Rutgers (newark) - 1
Barnabas - 4
New Mexico - 1
NYMC - 1
Cornell - 1
Stoney Brook - 4
Ohio State - 4
Geisinger - 1
Temple - 1
MUSC - 2
Tennessee - 1
Utah - 2

Looks like some of the rumored to be malignant/workhorse places, a few of the prestigious programs that likely simply underestimated the number of people they'd have to interview/rank to get the top applicants, and a smattering of others that missed 1 or 2 spots for who knows why.

What are some of the malignant/workhorse programs from that list?

Rush matched 89/91 spots, or 98% of their positions in the previous 5 cycles. It isn't difficult to see what happened. Everyone this cycle read that scathing scutwork review, and they just didn't do a good enough job addressing those issues during the interview.

Just to give an idea. Posted on my old program's Facebook page. West coast program.

"The Match Results for the incoming class of 2015 residents are in and they are fantastic! We received more than 1000 applications for 14 positions (no typo there!). We interviewed 100 of the top candidates. We matched four of our top 20 candidates, four in the next 20, and the rest up to spot 67. All our incoming resident physicians have won multiple awards and accolades, and they're all very nice, fun people as well."

Just to give an idea. Posted on my old program's Facebook page. West coast program.

"The Match Results for the incoming class of 2015 residents are in and they are fantastic! We received more than 1000 applications for 14 positions (no typo there!). We interviewed 100 of the top candidates. We matched four of our top 20 candidates, four in the next 20, and the rest up to spot 67. All our incoming resident physicians have won multiple awards and accolades, and they're all very nice, fun people as well."

This is the trend. By adding med schools and expanding class sizes, while decreasing or holding residency positions stable, this is inevitable. No matter how messed up our current system is, would anyone rather train in Ghana or Bangladesh? No? Neither would the Ghanaian or Bangladeshi. Without more training spots, the natural trend is increased competition everywhere.
I doubt I'd match where I went if I had to do it today. I didn't even go anywhere impressive. And it wasn't very long ago!