Match Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiaappli1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with it? It is preventing me from enjoying my 4th year!

I would honestly be happy with my top 4-6 ,and super happy with my top 1. I am aware of the statistics but I still have this fear that I will end up matching 7+ or not matching at all.

I am applying to IM which isn't as competitive than a lot of specialties but I am way below average ( which makes me think that the statistics don't apply to me + I won't be very high on a program's rank list.

I am being neurotic, I know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm getting a little angsty, too. It comes in waves. I hope you get some enjoyment out of 4th year soon!

How about comparing it to the mess that was applying to medical school? Where only 1 in 10 people actually get a spot? In that light, it's a breeze.

Reactions: 4 users
How about comparing it to the mess that was applying to medical school? Where only 1 in 10 people actually get a spot? In that light, it's a breeze.

Pretty sure the acceptance rate is more like 4 to 5 in 10 people (get a spot in at least one medical school).

Still the point is well taken. Match rate is 94%+.

How do you guys deal with it? It is preventing me from enjoying my 4th year!

I would honestly be happy with my top 4-6 ,and super happy with my top 1. I am aware of the statistics but I still have this fear that I will end up matching 7+ or not matching at all.

I am applying to IM which isn't as competitive than a lot of specialties but I am way below average ( which makes me think that the statistics don't apply to me + I won't be very high on a program's rank list.

I am being neurotic, I know.

There are few things in life we have control over, this is one of them. What ever happens, you'll make the best of it.

Yeah, I would be more worried if you did not have enough interviews and places to rank.

Just do your rank list based on what you want. The programs will surely do their list the way they want.

And see how it comes out. ..............

Why worry about something that is out of your control? All you can do is rank them and see where you go. It appears you should be safe to at least match somewhere.

re:

New

~~~~~~

This is a misunderstanding...about 40% of those American college applicants who take the MCAT WILL BE ACCEPTED/MATRICULATE at an American medical school. The reason that it seems like 1 in 10 is duplicate/ghost applications.

re:

New

~~~~~~

This is a misunderstanding...about 40% of those American college applicants who take the MCAT WILL BE ACCEPTED/MATRICULATE at an American medical school. The reason that it seems like 1 in 10 is duplicate/ghost applications.

That will teach me to post something on SDN before checking the actual stats, rather than simply picking a number out of thin air.

Reactions: 1 users
re:

New

~~~~~~

This isn't quite right either. There's approximately 100,000 administrations of the MCAT every year, with half the scores being less than the old score of 25 (no clue what the new equivalent is). Now, I'm sure a number of them them are people taking the test more than once or taking it in order to become podiatrists, but I guarantee you there's a huge # of people who take it and then realize they have zero chance of getting into a US MD school. Those people aren't included in your denominator of American college applicants who take the MCAT. The proportion of people who take the MCAT eventually matriculating into medical school is certainly less than 40%.

If you think December sucked...wait for February. I recommend massage, yoga, meditation. Find yourself a good book to conqueror. If you haven't read Game of Thrones...that's a good place to start. By the time you are finishing the series, the match results will be out.

If you think December sucked...wait for February. I recommend massage, yoga, meditation. Find yourself a good book to conqueror. If you haven't read Game of Thrones...that's a good place to start. By the time you are finishing the series, the match results will be out residency will be over.

FTFY.

Correction...

If you think December sucked...wait for February. I recommend massage, yoga, meditation. Find yourself a good book to conqueror. If you haven't read Game of Thrones...that's a good place to start. By the time you are finishing the currently published books, the match results will be out.

There.

Correction...

If you think December sucked...wait for February. I recommend massage, yoga, meditation. Find yourself a good book to conqueror. If you haven't read Game of Thrones...that's a good place to start. By the time you are finishing the currently published books, the match results will be out.

There.

correction 2....

*conquer

but yea I am gonna stroke out before this whole process is over

Not sure about others but as someone going into a surgical subspecialty, this is just as stressful as med school apps regardless of odds. On a break b/w interview days right now and having time to think about it is the worst. Would much rather be interviewing or on some clinical rotation. Feb 24th to Mar 14th is going to be brutal.

This might just be me, but I'm oscillating between match anxiety and "why the $&@!# don't I know anything?!" anxiety. Running and meditating have helped, but so has reading, practicing sutures and knots, and spending time with my fam that I know I'll see a lot less of come July. At least if you're studying stuff in your specialty, you get the peace of mind that comes with feeling somewhat prepared, even if you really can't be;-)

I gained some weight through third and fourth year and I did not get any motivation to deal with it till now. I think my interviews are officially over. I have waves of anxiety as well where I feel sick to my stomach and some crying spells when fear takes over. I signed up for gym a month ago and I spend a good chunk of my free time there. Group classes like yoga and zumba really helps to get mind off things. Plus, it will help a lot if you start residency with a strong healthy looking body to envy. It is after all a new page in life. I also realized that even though I sang really well in college I gave up my music for past few years. I began doing some music covers as well. Basically, I have been doing all sorts of things i didnt get a chance to do during medical school....Reading Anna Kaenina by tolstoy, making a rough attempt at canvas painting....you name it....whatever that helps.

Also, I would like to remind folks that sometimes some of life's best blessings are ones we never see coming.

So, if you do not get your #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It will be okay. You got a spot and a chance to become a physician. Be happy and celebrate what you got and not what you think you would have liked to have gotten.

My deep thought for the year. :uhno:

Also, I would like to remind folks that sometimes some of life's best blessings are ones we never see coming.

So, if you do not get your #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It will be okay. You got a spot and a chance to become a physician. Be happy and celebrate what you got and not what you think you would have liked to have gotten.

My deep thought for the year. :uhno:

54517640.jpg