Match Day 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not so sure about Moscow (never been there) and Chicago, but I guess I forgot about the other two b/c I don't like the cities lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not so sure about Moscow (never been there) and Chicago, but I guess I forgot about the other two b/c I don't like the cities lol.

Moscow is pretty diverse. I'd say on par with San Francisco.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what is surgery-preliminary? Does it differ from general surgery?

Just out of curiosity, what is surgery-preliminary? Does it differ from general surgery?
also what's the difference between preliminary and transitional?

Preliminary and transitional years are PGY-1 (intern) positions that you do before an "advanced" residency that starts in PGY-2 (like anesthesia, rad-onc, derm, etc). You usually match to both at once, so that's why people with a match to a prelim/ty typically also have a match to an advanced specialty.

I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation, but a prelim year is in one general area, either medicine or surgery. A transitional year consists of rotations, including medicine and surgery.

Reactions: 2 users
Preliminary and transitional years are PGY-1 (intern) positions that you do before an "advanced" residency that starts in PGY-2 (like anesthesia, rad-onc, derm, etc). You usually match to both at once, so that's why people with a match to a prelim/ty typically also have a match to an advanced specialty.

I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation, but a prelim year is in one general area, either medicine or surgery. A transitional year consists of rotations, including medicine and surgery.

Right. Preliminary medicine or surgery programs are 1 year programs designed to fulfill the basic intern experience for someone who is planning a career in one of the many specialties that technically begin PGY-2 (second year of residency). Specialties for which most people complete a preliminary medicine year include radiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, some anesthesiology, PM&R, neurology, radiation oncology, and so on. Several surgical subspecialties require a separate preliminary surgery year, although quite a few programs have a prelim surgery year directly connected to their advanced program (so, in essence, if you match into Urology at program X, you also 'automatically' match into Preliminary Surgery for your first year at program X).

To make it more confusing, some people going into specialties that are not classically thought of as "surgical" (radiology, ophthalmology) will choose to complete a Preliminary Surgery year instead of Medicine.

To make it even more confusing, some people choose to substitute a Transitional Year for where Preliminary Medicine would otherwise be appropriate (see list above). TYs are usually (but not always) more competitive to match into than Prelim Medicine. They often contain fewer core months on the wards (2-6) per year, and allow for a flexible schedule with a handful of elective and less intense required rotations. These programs usually afford you significantly more free time than most intern year programs.

Hopefully that explains some of what was being asked.

Reactions: 3 users
Medical students rotate primarily at these first four for core rotations:
1) Ben Taub General Hospital - Houston's county hospital...imagine doing rotations at the county hospital in the country's most diverse city. My favorite hospital to rotate at and the favorite of most other students. Hands on, very diverse pathologies, things you legitimately don't see elsewhere
2) Michael E DeBakey VA - the largest VA in the country, 2nd largest government building after the Pentagon
3) St. Lukes Hospital - private hospital associated with Texas Heart Insitute (big time Cards/CT program), site of first successful heart transplant
4) Texas Children's Hospital - largest children's hospital in the US, ranked 4th in the contry in 2013 (haven't seen the most recent ranking) but it's usually top 5
5) Methodist - less students rotate here, but you CAN do selectives/electives here such as urology, ent, psych
6) MD Anderson - very few rotate here...4 each rotation do psychiatry, but other than that, i dont think anyone else rotates here
- also we some do clinical rotations as well as some preclinical clinical experiences at a variety of outpatient clinics

so with our hospitals, you get clinical experience with all patient populations and pathologies (county, veterans, children, private) and you see how medicine is practiced in different settings. if i can make one plug that isn't just for baylor, i'd recommend that all pre-meds strongly considering going to a medical school with a county hospital...you get so much more hands on experience/training...it's awesome

Couldn't agree more.

The schools with great clinical rotations always seem to have all 5 types of hospitals available (academic/tertiary, private/community, county, veteran's, and children's). In addition, nearly everyone seems to get more responsibility and hands on experience at VA and county hospitals (where you're often treated like an intern).

Reactions: 2 users

Note that someone who ONLY has a General Surgery Prelim spot (without a following Urology, etc) is a person who usually was NOT able to match into a categorical Gen Surg spot (for all 5-7 years of training) and only has a prelim spot for a year (or maybe two) and has to TRY again to match or find a categorical spot somehow. In other words, you usually don't want JUST prelim gen surg spot (unless it is meant to go onto something like urology and you also have a spot saved there) because you will have to continue the process of trying to find a spot for all years of training.

Members don't see this ad :)

Right. Preliminary medicine or surgery programs are 1 year programs designed to fulfill the basic intern experience for someone who is planning a career in one of the many specialties that technically begin PGY-2 (second year of residency). Specialties for which most people complete a preliminary medicine year include radiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, some anesthesiology, PM&R, neurology, radiation oncology, and so on. Several surgical subspecialties require a separate preliminary surgery year, although quite a few programs have a prelim surgery year directly connected to their advanced program (so, in essence, if you match into Urology at program X, you also 'automatically' match into Preliminary Surgery for your first year at program X).

To make it more confusing, some people going into specialties that are not classically thought of as "surgical" (radiology, ophthalmology) will choose to complete a Preliminary Surgery year instead of Medicine.

To make it even more confusing, some people choose to substitute a Transitional Year for where Preliminary Medicine would otherwise be appropriate (see list above). TYs are usually (but not always) more competitive to match into than Prelim Medicine. They often contain fewer core months on the wards (2-6) per year, and allow for a flexible schedule with a handful of elective and less intense required rotations. These programs usually afford you significantly more free time than most intern year programs.

Hopefully that explains some of what was being asked.

How screwed are you if you change your mind during the intern year. For example let's say you're doing your surgery intern year for gen surgery but during the ortho rotation you feel like changing career paths. Is it too late then??

Disclaimer: just an "out of curiosity question." Def not thinking that far ahead

Last edited:
Note that someone who ONLY has a General Surgery Prelim spot (without a following Urology, etc) is a person who usually was NOT able to match into a categorical Gen Surg spot (for all 5-7 years of training) and only has a prelim spot for a year (or maybe two) and has to TRY again to match or find a categorical spot somehow. In other words, you usually don't want JUST prelim gen surg spot (unless it is meant to go onto something like urology and you also have a spot saved there) because you will have to continue the process of trying to find a spot for all years of training.

Also worth noting that on de-identified match lists sorted by specialty, it can be impossible to tell how many of the prelim matches are associated with an advanced match, and how many were people who scrambled into a prelim spot or didn't match their advanced specialty of choice.

Reactions: 1 users
How screwed are you if you change your mind during the intern year. For example let's say you're doing your surgery intern year for gen surgery but during the ortho rotation you feel like changing career paths. Is it too late then??

Disclaimer: just an "out of curiosity question." Def not thinking that far ahead

No, it's not too late, it just becomes that much more difficult to land a residency slot. However, I'm not sure how many general surgery interns rotate through orthopaedics. Seems like it'd be similar to a pediatrics intern rotating through the MICU.

Perhaps a really random question, but do residency directors care about grades in an associated masters program?

No, it's not too late, it just becomes that much more difficult to land a residency slot. However, I'm not sure how many general surgery interns rotate through orthopaedics. Seems like it'd be similar to a pediatrics intern rotating through the MICU.

It's exceptionally difficult to move "up" in the world once you are in residency. (When I say "up" I mean in terms of general competitiveness/prestige).

So a unhappy ortho intern might be able to successfully find a general surgery or an anesthesia position (since that is a "downward" move). It would be very unlikely for someone who initially matched in a less competitive field to move up into ortho or plastics, etc.

For the most part their only chance of doing so would be if an opening came up in an ortho program that needed to be filled, i.e. an ortho intern quits for something else.

Reactions: 1 users

It's exceptionally difficult to move "up" in the world once you are in residency. (When I say "up" I mean in terms of general competitiveness/prestige).

So a unhappy ortho intern might be able to successfully find a general surgery or an anesthesia position (since that is a "downward" move). It would be very unlikely for someone who initially matched in a less competitive field to move up into ortho or plastics, etc.

For the most part their only chance of doing so would be if an opening came up in an ortho program that needed to be filled, i.e. an ortho intern quits for something else.

Thanks. Not long ago, I was looking at a school's neurosurgery website and one of the residents apparently quit her ortho position after doing a neurosurgery rotation during the intern year and found a very desirable neuro spot for the PGY-2. So I guess I can assume that these are about equal in competitiveness (she went from one academic program to another).

Also worth noting that on de-identified match lists sorted by specialty, it can be impossible to tell how many of the prelim matches are associated with an advanced match, and how many were people who scrambled into a prelim spot or didn't match their advanced specialty of choice.

Likely that is done on purpose. Gotta keep the school reputation up.

The Taylor Swift School of Medicine

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/03/residency-locations-revealed-at-match-day/

tumblr_m90rr8p2YL1qlk5u6o1_1280.jpg

Anesthesiology

Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Mayo

Child Neurology
UTSW
Children's Hospital Boston (neuro-developmental disorders)

Dermatology
Emory
Baylor
Iowa

Emergency Medicine
Case Western
Medical College of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Wayne State
UCLA (x2)
University of Wisconsin
Cincinnati
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Denver Health Medical Center

Family Medicine
Wake Forest Baptist

General Surgery
Navy Medical Center
UTSW
Vanderbilt (x2)
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State

Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt (x7)
Navy Medical Center
Hopkins
Pitt (Women's Health)
Pitt (x2)
University of Chicago
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Michigan (x2)
University of Washington
Emory
Stanford
Yale
Tufts

Medicine-Pediatrics
Vanderbilt

Neurosurgery
Utah
USC

Neurology
Deaconess Medical Center
Vanderbilt

Ob-Gyn
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Ohio State
Christiana Care

Opthalmology
Einstein-Montefiore
Michigan

Orthopedic Surgery
Carolinas Medical Center
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
University of Oklahoma
Emory

Otolaryngology
Baylor
Northwestern
Vanderbilt

Pathology
UCLA
Stanford

Pediatrics
Pitt
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Vanderbilt (x2)
UCSF
Einstein-Montefiore
University of Washington
Children's Hospital Boston
Indiana University

Plastic Surgery
Northwestern
Duke

Psychiatry
University of Illinois-Chicago
UCLA
Mass General
Baylor
UCLA
Pitt

Radiology
Duke
Missouri

Surgery-Prelimary
Vanderbilt (x2)
UCLA

Urology
UCLA
Cleveland Clinic

Last edited:
Anyone have Oklahoma's match list? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

UCSD Match List 2014:

Anesthesiology (5)
Loma Linda
U Arizona
U Arizona
UCSD
U Michigan

Dermatology (4)
Mt. Sinai
Pitt
UCSD
UNC

Emergency Medicine (4)
UCD
UCI
UCI
UCSD

Family Medicine (10)
Family Health Centers of San Diego
Kaiser San Diego
Methodist Hospital - Sacramento
Rochester
Scripps Mercy
Sutter – Santa Rosa
Tripler Army – Honolulu
UCLA-Harbor
Ventura County
Ventura County

General Surgery (14)
Arrowhead
Harvard – B&W
Harvard – B&W
Kaiser Los Angeles
Rush
UCD
UCI
UCI
UCI
UCSD
UCSD
UCSF
UCSF
U Washington

Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology (1)
Loma Linda

Internal Medicine (20)
Johns Hopkins
Kaiser Los Angeles
Kaiser Santa Clara
Penn
Santa Clara Valley
Santa Clara Valley
Santa Clara Valley
Scripps Green
Scripps Mercy
St. Mary’s – San Francisco
Stanford
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
U Washington
U Washington
U Washington
Wash U

Medicine-Pediatrics (5)
Baylor
Baylor
UCSD
USC
USC

Neurological Surgery (1)
USC

OB/GYN (8)
Harvard – B&W
Navy – San Diego
Stanford
UCLA
UCLA
U Chicago
U Oklahoma
Yale

Ophthalmology (2)
UCSD
UCSD

Orthopedic Surgery (2)
UCLA - Harbor
USC

Pathology (4)
Harvard – B&W
Johns Hopkins
Penn
Stanford

Pediatrics (14)
Childrens LA
Navy – Portsmouth
Stanford
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
USC
U Washington

Plastic Surgery (2)
Baylor
Stanford

Psychiatry (7)
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Stanford
UCD
UCSD
UCSD
Yale

Psychiatry and Family Medicine (1)
UCSD

Radiation Oncology (2)
Harvard – B&W
U Michigan

Radiology (10)
Penn
Rochester
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UT Houston
U Washington
U Washington

Urology (3)
Kaiser Pasadena
UCLA
U Washington

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
4 derm , 4 optho, 1 rad onc, 8 ortho, 1 vascular, 1 urology

Could you please put up the whole 2014 match list for Rosalind Franklin SOM or refer us the link for it?

UCSD Match List 2014:

Anesthesiology (5)
Loma Linda
U Arizona
U Arizona
UCSD
U Michigan

Dermatology (4)
Mt. Sinai
Pitt
UCSD
UNC

Emergency Medicine (4)
UCD
UCI
UCI
UCSD

Family Medicine (10)
Family Health Centers of San Diego
Kaiser San Diego
Methodist Hospital - Sacramento
Rochester
Scripps Mercy
Sutter – Santa Rosa
Tripler Army – Honolulu
UCLA-Harbor
Ventura County
Ventura County

General Surgery (14)
Arrowhead
Harvard – B&W
Harvard – B&W
Kaiser Los Angeles
Rush
UCD
UCI
UCI
UCI
UCSD
UCSD
UCSF
UCSF
U Washington

Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology (1)
Loma Linda

Internal Medicine (20)
Johns Hopkins
Kaiser Los Angeles
Kaiser Santa Clara
Penn
Santa Clara Valley
Santa Clara Valley
Santa Clara Valley
Scripps Green
Scripps Mercy
St. Mary’s – San Francisco
Stanford
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
U Washington
U Washington
U Washington
Wash U

Medicine-Pediatrics (5)
Baylor
Baylor
UCSD
USC
USC

Neurological Surgery (1)
USC

OB/GYN (8)
Harvard – B&W
Navy – San Diego
Stanford
UCLA
UCLA
U Chicago
U Oklahoma
Yale

Ophthalmology (2)
UCSD
UCSD

Orthopedic Surgery (2)
UCLA - Harbor
USC

Pathology (4)
Harvard – B&W
Johns Hopkins
Penn
Stanford

Pediatrics (14)
Childrens LA
Navy – Portsmouth
Stanford
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
UCSD
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
USC
U Washington

Plastic Surgery (2)
Baylor
Stanford

Psychiatry (7)
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Stanford
UCD
UCSD
UCSD
Yale

Psychiatry and Family Medicine (1)
UCSD

Radiation Oncology (2)
Harvard – B&W
U Michigan

Radiology (10)
Penn
Rochester
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSD
UT Houston
U Washington
U Washington

Urology (3)
Kaiser Pasadena
UCLA
U Washington

Wow, that's a lot of gsurg. Are some of those prelim matches?

NJMS Residency Match List 2014

Anesthesiology
(3) Yale-New Haven Hosp CT
Jackson Memorial Hosp FL
Brigham & Womens Hosp MA
Rutgers-R W Johnson Medical School NJ
(4) NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr NY
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr NY
NYU School Of Medicine NY
Cleveland Clinic Fdn OH
UPMC Medical Education PA

Child Neurology
Childrens National Med Ctr DC

Dermatology
Stony Brook Teach Hosps NY
Thomas Jefferson Univ PA

Emergency Medicine
U Connecticut School of Medicine CT
Yale-New Haven Hosp CT
Johns Hopkins Hosp MD
(2) Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School NJ
SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY
Albert Einstein Med Ctr PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA PA
Thomas Jefferson Univ PA

Family Medicine
Middlesex Hospital CT
Christiana Care DE
Overlook Hospital NJ
Mt. Sinai/Institute for Family Health NY
Lancaster Gen Hosp PA
York Hospital PA
U Utah Affil Hospitals UT
Fam Med SW Washington WA

General Surgery
B I Deaconess Med Ctr MA
Western Michigan Univ School of Medicine MI
(2) Morristown Mem Hosp NJ
Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School NJ
(2) NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr NY
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr NY
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys/Lenox Hill NY
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr NY
Geisinger Health System PA

Internal Medicine
UC San Diego Med Ctr CA
George Washington Univ DC
Georgetown Univ Hosp DC
Emory Univ SOM GA
Tulane Univ SOM LA
(3) Boston Univ Med Ctr MA
(2) U Maryland Med Ctr MD
Barnes-Jewish Hosp MO
Duke Univ Med Ctr NC
(2) Cooper University Hospital NJ
(5) Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School NJ
St Peters University Hosp NJ
(2) NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr NY
(3) Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai NY
(4) Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr NY
Albany Medical Center NY
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY NY
(7) Temple Univ Hosp PA
Thomas Jefferson Univ PA
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch TX

Medicine-Pediatrics
Christiana Care DE
Neurological Surgery
U North Carolina Hospitals NC
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys NY

Neurology
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai NY

Obstetrics-Gynecology
Cooper University Hospital NJ
Albany Medical Center NY
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr NY
University at Buffalo SOM NY
(2) Thomas Jefferson Univ PA
Temple Univ Hosp PA

Ophthalmology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine NY
New York Eye & Ear Infirmary NY

Orthopedic Surgery
St. Josephs/Seton Hall Univ Sch of Health & Med NJ
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys/Lenox ill NY
Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA PA

Otolaryngology
Jackson Memorial Hosp FL
Harvard Med School/Mass Eye and Ear MA

Pathology

Pediatrics
(2) Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr NY
Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr NY
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr NY
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ RI
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston TX

Physical Med. & Rehabilitation
(2) JFK/Rutgers-R W Johnson Medical School NJ
(2) NYP Hosp-Columbia & Cornell NY
NYMC-Metropolitan Hosp Ctr NY

Plastic Surgery
Page 2Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai NY

Psychiatry
Yale-New Haven Hosp CT
U North Dakota SOM ND
Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt NY
Thomas Jefferson Univ PA

Radiology-Diagnostic
U Colorado SOM-Denver CO
Yale-New Haven Hosp CT
(2) NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr NY
Thomas Jefferson Univ PA

Urology
(2) UC Irvine Med Ctr CA
(2) U Maryland Med Ctr MD
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr NY
(2) Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys VA

Well, I was really pointing it out because I'm placing some of the big 4 institutions beneath non-big 4 institutions for IM.

My R.O.L. is going to look something like this:

Northwestern
UChicago
Vanderbilt
Penn
MGH
B&W
BIDMC
Columbia
Loyola
Rush
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
UCSF
...et al...

NO, I am not suggesting that I already know my ROL. I'm saying I would attend a litany of places not considered quite on the same level as UCSF, before considering UCSF. As much as I love San Francisco, I want to go to a program with a very strong track record of placing people into fellowship.

"But bakedbeans, why would you go to Penn or Vanderbilt over MGH?"

Well, that answer is pretty simple. New York Giants for life.

I found fit to be as important, if not more, than it was for medical school. Before I did sub-i's/interviews I thought my top five would be (not in any order)
Columbia
Hopkins
Penn
MGH
UCSF

Only one of those was in my top 5 when I submitted my list and only two were in my top 10.

^^^^After my sub I months only like ONE of my prior "top choices" actually even got ranked!!! Just goes to show you there is more to a program than a name :)

btw if anyone can't read it, i can try to write them all down.

hate to be that guy, but if you're still willing, I'd love to have a written version - I can't read most of the small print. If not that's cool too.