Match Day 2016! How'd it go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestMD2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's here! It happened! How'd it go? Where'd you match?? Was it your top spot? (If you're willing to share, of course.) Any post-match thoughts?

I imagine that most folks are still processing everything and enjoying the rush of finally 'knowing'.

As a PGY-1, I was so excited to hear from MS4 friends about where they're headed off to, and especially looking forward to seeing some old friends who happen to be moving near.

I really love my program, and it's...a special honor, I guess you could say, to be able to hear the list of future friends and colleagues.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all--I have a great class of incomings, too.

BTW--the "global impression" of increased applicants was correct:

"2016 Match Results
850 US allopathic Seniors "Matched" into psychiatry. This is an increase from 774 in 2015. This is in keeping with the projected trends of the past three years.
A full report will follow later in the day."

And that's just allopathic...

Reactions: 1 users
Excited to be going to UW Seattle track! My list was on the other thread so it is what it is. Everyone I know says that they knew this was where I actually wanted to be, so I guess it worked out great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my top choice, which is exactly where I've been for the last four years -- UW Madison. A choice enforced by necessity, but a quality program nonetheless, where I am comfortable with the workplace and the people and will be able to hit the ground running in July. Now, if only getting my top choice could help solve the other problems in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I didn't get my Harvard South Shore spot I wanted so badly </3. I'm disappointed because I thought the interview had gone well. I sort of regret posting my rank list now... But I can't take it back. I don't know if I bombed my interviews or what... I hope I can still find a path to being a high quality LGBT mental health-focused psychiatrist.

I was very surprised to match at my #6. UVA. The area is beautiful and the hospital is nice, new, and clean. I liked the residents. The program has a lot going for it... Um... I just wasn't expecting to end up there. Gosh. Hopefully I can adjust to living in a city of only ~60000 people after expecting a city of 1 million plus.

Reactions: 7 users
I didn't get my Harvard South Shore spot I wanted so badly </3. I'm disappointed because I thought the interview had gone well. I sort of regret posting my rank list now... But I can't take it back. I don't know if I bombed my interviews or what... I hope I can still find a path to being a high quality LGBT mental health-focused psychiatrist.

I was very surprised to match at my #6. UVA. The area is beautiful and the hospital is nice, new, and clean. I liked the residents. The program has a lot going for it... Um... I just wasn't expecting to end up there. Gosh. Hopefully I can adjust to living in a city of only ~60000 people after expecting a city of 1 million plus.

DC is much bigger and not very far from Charlottesville at all. Do not let official statistics fool you, it is definitely part of the great East Coast Boston-Richmond Megalopolis.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched at #2, UPMC/WPIC. Super bummed that I did not get OHSU, but I suppose this is objectively a fancier program and I got in incredibly well with everyone I met there. Partner is highly displeased that it is not Portland, but at least we can live much larger on a resident's salary in Pitt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Got my top choice, which is exactly where I've been for the last four years -- UW Madison. A choice enforced by necessity, but a quality program nonetheless, where I am comfortable with the workplace and the people and will be able to hit the ground running in July. Now, if only getting my top choice could help solve the other problems in my life.

So maybe 20 was a tad bit of overkill after all...

I was in similar shoes last year. Had a PD at my #1 give me the impression I'd be there that year, when I matched elsewhere it was a shock and a bit of disappointment.

Remember though you ranked your program because there are many things that interest you. Like myself and many others before you I'm sure in as little as 6 months you'll be questioning why you didn't initially rank that program higher.

Congrats on the match

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Feeling a little stunned and still processing... Ended up at a program that I really liked (probably my favorite in terms of actual program) that I ranked a little lower because of geography/location, and after a program where I felt the PD had all but told me I had a spot if I wanted it.

I feel like a few days from now I'll probably be more excited, but right now I'm just in shock I think.

I wish I felt better about it... I think maybe I should take a long nap :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Matched at my #1 (small enough that I don't want to name it). A little amazed after another classmate, who I thought was a much better candidate than I am, matched there just a few minutes before I did.

Matched first choice at a small program in New England. I had made a last minute change to my ROL based on my partner's preference. So, it's wonderful not needing to relocate but some mixed feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at #2, UPMC/WPIC. Super bummed that I did not get OHSU, but I suppose this is objectively a fancier program and I got in incredibly well with everyone I met there. Partner is highly displeased that it is not Portland, but at least we can live much larger on a resident's salary in Pitt.

You came out on top. Pitt is a premier academic program with world renowned faculty. OHSU is nice but not in the same league. While it's not the Pacific NW, I have a lot of friends in/from Pittsburgh, and it's a great city with lots to do.

What I'd like to know, and what I think could be helpful to future applicants, is if there's even any point in accepting interviews off of a waitlist/at the last minute that are clearly due to cancellation? I spent $500 each on two separate flights for last minute interview invites. At this point, that seems like a poor choice. I'm out $1,000, and I didn't match at either of those places (my 1 and 2). In Emory's case, I actually scheduled other interviews around the days they had me wait-listed for and because of that ended up having to cancel one. Did anyone here match into a program off the interview waitlist or that they got a late invite for?

It would be interesting to have some stats to help people weigh the odds and do a cost benefit analysis.

Johns Hopkins and #1 on ROL. Not much cross country skiing there, but loved the countryside around Baltimore and the quirky areas of the city. Still not convinced that The Wire isn't an accurate view of the city despite reassurances. Just kidding!

What I'd like to know, and what I think could be helpful to future applicants, is if there's even any point in accepting interviews off of a waitlist/at the last minute that are clearly due to cancellation? I spent $500 each on two separate flights for last minute interview invites. At this point, that seems like a poor choice. I'm out $1,000, and I didn't match at either of those places (my 1 and 2). In Emory's case, I actually scheduled other interviews around the days they had me wait-listed for and because of that ended up having to cancel one. Did anyone here match into a program off the interview waitlist or that they got a late invite for?

It would be interesting to have some stats to help people weigh the odds and do a cost benefit analysis.

The problem with this approach is that you would probably need access to the ranks assigned to you by different programs and the total number of applicants they ranked to calculate the mean rank or match-probability per interview value. This information will not be forthcoming.

I have faith you will adjust and grow to like to Charlottesville! I grew up near there and have spent a lot of time in Charlottesville..it's such a beautiful area and surprisingly there is a lot to do. Good wineries, breweries, lots of outdoorsy things (hiking, biking and such). It is a small city and if your single it might be a problem, but otherwise its a very charming and cute town! Plus Richmond is only 40 min away, which has a lot more to do in terms of culture, restaurants, etc. And like another poster said DC is only 2-3 hrs away so you could easily do fun weekend trips and enjoy DC without having to suffer the cost of living in DC!

The problem with this approach is that you would probably need access to the ranks assigned to you by different programs and the total number of applicants they ranked to calculate the mean rank or match-probability per interview value. This information will not be forthcoming.

Yeah, I know it's impossible to have truly good data. I thought maybe a % matched with regular interview day versus % matched after waitlist interview day could be attainable.

Feeling a little stunned and still processing... Ended up at a program that I really liked (probably my favorite in terms of actual program) that I ranked a little lower because of geography/location, and after a program where I felt the PD had all but told me I had a spot if I wanted it.

I feel like a few days from now I'll probably be more excited, but right now I'm just in shock I think.

I wish I felt better about it... I think maybe I should take a long nap :(

Congrats on matching!! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get your first choice..I know how you feel, I didn't either. I matched at my #3 but right now as a resident I couldn't be happier and I'm glad things worked out the way they did! I wanted to match in a big city but alas it didn't work out and I'm a smaller-ish program now. Hopefully things will work out for you too! Good luck and go out and celebrate after your nap because regardless it is still a great achievement that you (and everyone else on this thread) matched!

I have faith you will adjust and grow to like to Charlottesville! I grew up near there and have spent a lot of time in Charlottesville..it's such a beautiful area and surprisingly there is a lot to do. Good wineries, breweries, lots of outdoorsy things (hiking, biking and such). It is a small city and if your single it might be a problem, but otherwise its a very charming and cute town! Plus Richmond is only 40 min away, which has a lot more to do in terms of culture, restaurants, etc. And like another poster said DC is only 2-3 hrs away so you could easily do fun weekend trips and enjoy DC without having to suffer the cost of living in DC!

I'm not sure I can convince my S.O. to move there or if there would even be jobs for her (EDIT: I say this due to opinions she has voiced), so being single could very well be a thing.... which is pretty much the only reason the place wasn't higher on my list. I'm not looking to finish residency 33 and single. If it becomes an issue, it seems like a lot of people are able to find people to date in Charlottesville or "long-distance" in Richmond or some other nearby city.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be great! I liked the program a lot and I'm very confident it has most and possibly all of the things I wanted for my residency. I was very interested in some of the research going on there. I really liked the people I met. I was impressed with the city's walkability and the diverse culinary offerings. The natural beauty of the area is magnificent. I like the access to the DC and the eastern seaboard. I'm sure the training and the people will be wonderful. It was a surprise, but I think it's for the best. I think UVA's culture is a better fit with my personality.

Last edited:
I'm a 40 year old attending and single.

It's not so bad. :)

Still, I hope it works out with your lady friend.

Also, I should add that Pittsburgh is way better than Portland.

Alright. I've never been to Portland and it actually sounds awesome, but Pittsburgh is great. Low cost of living. Tons to do. And both of the big health systems there have been very good to the Lioness in her day. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@RoguePenguin, I matched at a place where I got a last-minute interview on the last interview day of the season. In psych, yes, you can match at a program that way. Also, being single during residency isn't the end of the world and don't assume that if you start single, you'll end single. UVA is a pretty darn good match and it has residencies in many fields, which means tons of people in the same boat as you. If nothing else, you'll make great friends. It's not like you matched at some podunk malignant program at a 10-bed hospital in some western state where the closest city is 300 miles away. You ranked it for a reason. Give it a chance.

Matched #2 at UCLA-SFV! Both my #1 and #2 were extremely close and pretty much only separated by location of sites, so I'm super excited! LA life, baby!

Reactions: 5 users
@RoguePenguin, I matched at a place where I got a last-minute interview on the last interview day of the season. In psych, yes, you can match at a program that way. Also, being single during residency isn't the end of the world and don't assume that if you start single, you'll end single. UVA is a pretty darn good match and it has residencies in many fields, which means tons of people in the same boat as you. If nothing else, you'll make great friends. It's not like you matched at some podunk malignant program at a 10-bed hospital in some western state where the closest city is 300 miles away. You ranked it for a reason. Give it a chance.

Yeah, I just made a post about how I'm happy about it. The other dude is the one who said being single would be a problem in that city. Obviously, I wasn't SUPER concerned or it wouldn't have been on my list, as you rightly said. I cannot control my girlfriend's opinions or behavior. It's been an issue ever since we learned I would have no chance of matching where she currently lives.

I literally made a list of things I liked about the program and said matching there was for the best. And I've said before, on this site, that I'd be happy with any of my top 7-10, which includes my match. I'm not sure what else you want from me. My friends who helped me make my list are happy for me, because of all the great, positive things I said about the program prior to match. It's not like we're having a pity party over here.

As far as the other waitlist-matching thing, I was just curious. Good grief. I'm broke as I've ever been and now I need to figure out my new housing. It'd be nice to have $1000 extra. One of the reasons I share so much on this site is because I think the whole residency application process could stand to have more transparency and having information, such as the "statistical" cost-benefit of an extra last minute interview, would be a part of that.

Last edited:

Alright. I've never been to Portland and it actually sounds awesome, but Pittsburgh is great. Low cost of living. Tons to do. And both of the big health systems there have been very good to the Lioness in her day. :)

I'm guessing cost of living is way better in Pittsburgh than Portland. With the way rents are going in Portland now, I think it would be pretty rough to move here on a resident salary.

I'm a 40 year old attending and single.

It's not so bad. :)

Still, I hope it works out with your lady friend.

Can I pm you about UPMC?

Sure, but I'm hopelessly out of date. I went to Pitt for med school, but graduated in '04. AGH residency. Left Pittsburgh in '11.

Ultra-pumped, couldn't be happier. Matched to my #2, despite overwhelmingly positive post interview communication from my #1. Glad it all worked out, but everybody that knows this process was right - you can't trust anybody!

Ultra-pumped, couldn't be happier. Matched to my #2, despite overwhelmingly positive post interview communication from my #1. Glad it all worked out, but everybody that knows this process was right - you can't trust anybody!

Pretty much all of this!

I'm ending up in a city where I've wanted to be all my life so I couldn't be happier. Also my PD is amazing and one of the most respected on these forms so that should give you a clue ;)

Psych did get more popular, not by double or anything, but a first real clearly palpable increase in interest. My prediction of a wild SOAP didn't happen so programs did what they needed to do to fill. I'm wondering if we will hear the average # of interviews per slot programs offered. I'm sure it grew, but not as much as the # of interviews per applicant I'm guessing. Anyway, psych is a diamond in the rough and congratulations everyone. For those disappointed in where they ended up, use radical acceptance because the longer you take to get your arms around reality, the longer you will make yourself crazy. Most programs do a good job and the opportunity to become good at psychiatry is there if you work at it. If you didn't get in, do something constructive and try again.

Matched to my #1 in Omaha, NE. Absolutely thrilled and congrats to all of those who matched as well. We're really doing it though aren't we buddy!?

Matched to my #1 in Cleveland and I'm thrilled! Congrats to everyone who made it through the year and persevered...best of luck moving forward into intern year.

Lower than what I would have liked. Came a bit of a shock because, like the case with other people, I was showered with interview and post-interview love by some programs higher on my list. And the way this process works, you have months to think and daydream about the programs you interviewed at. I'm over it now though and almost excited again.

Johns Hopkins and #1 on ROL. Not much cross country skiing there, but loved the countryside around Baltimore and the quirky areas of the city.

Congratulations--I really love it here! The program is exceptional, more than I could have ever imagined. Looking forward to meeting soon, and PM me if you have any questions. You'll get messages from us current PGY-1s soon!

Matched at my #1! Super excited about staying in my home town and about the other incoming residents. It's going to be a power team!

Just notice how many folks on this thread feel they were at least a little bit misled by post interview communications. I felt the same way a couple of years ago when I got similar emails. It is really one of the dirty little secrets about this process - trust nobody. And don't engage in the "love letter" BS, either.

Just notice how many folks on this thread feel they were at least a little bit misled by post interview communications. I felt the same way a couple of years ago when I got similar emails. It is really one of the dirty little secrets about this process - trust nobody. And don't engage in the "love letter" BS, either.

Maybe the sorting algorithm isn't how they say it is? Nothing like absolutely zero transparency in all of medical school education.

I think people let themselves be misled. Too easy to read "We'd love to see you here" or "We think you're a great fit" as "You're definitely in our Top 10." Programs do it too, and rank people higher if they think they're showing interest. Hey, everybody wants to be liked...

Congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Matched to my #1, BCM. Absolutely ecstatic to be joining an awesome group of incoming residents with such diverse interests and skill-sets and to be living in HTX for the next 4 years!

I think people let themselves be misled. Too easy to read "We'd love to see you here" or "We think you're a great fit" as "You're definitely in our Top 10." Programs do it too, and rank people higher if they think they're showing interest. Hey, everybody wants to be liked...

Don't think though people are referring to generic statements like these. I can't speak for others, but I got a couple of long personalized emails. None of it amounted to "we will rank you in the top 10" but it is easy to be misled by such gestures.

I think people let themselves be misled. Too easy to read "We'd love to see you here" or "We think you're a great fit" as "You're definitely in our Top 10."

What about "Congratulations, you're at the top of our list! We really want you here and are going to shamelessly do everything we can to recruit you?"

It's statements like these that 1) are completely unnecessary 2) make all PDs look bad 3) lead to hurt feelings. I get it, what she meant was "in the top half where it's theoretically possible that I could match."

I get it... PDs are great people who are just forced by a horrible system that depresses their employees wages to exaggerate the truth... But when families and futures are on the line, this stuff hurts people, there is no excuse, and it needs to stop. I know there are absolutely self-less PDs out there who are non-stop advocates for all applicants, I even had one advise me to rank another program ahead of his... but sleezy also exists!

Also, even if applicants lie to or exaggerate interest to PDs, it's often because preferences change... We aren't ranking PDs, we're ranking locations, program structures, hospitals, wages, how much we value input from our significant others, costs of living, family, residents, attendings and you! So many variables. PDs are just ranking people, so to be mislead is hurtful on a personal level. If I was ranking PDs, it would have been the easiest choice in the world and my list would have been nothing like it was.

Last edited:
What about "Congratulations, you're at the top of our list! We really want you here and are going to shamelessly do everything we can to recruit you?"

It's statements like these that 1) are completely unnecessary 2) make all PDs look bad 3) lead to hurt feelings. I get it, what she meant was "in the top half where it's theoretically possible that I could match."

I get it... PDs are great people who are just forced by a horrible system that depresses their employees wages to exaggerate the truth... But when families and futures are on the line, this stuff hurts people, there is no excuse, and it needs to stop. I know there are absolutely self-less PDs out there who are non-stop advocates for all applicants, I even had one advise me to rank another program ahead of his... but sleezy also exists!

Also, even if applicants lie to or exaggerate interest to PDs, it's often because preferences change... We aren't ranking PDs, we're ranking locations, program structures, hospitals, wages, how much we value input from our significant others, costs of living, family, residents, attendings and you! So many variables. PDs are just ranking people, so to be mislead is hurtful on a personal level. If I was ranking PDs, it would have been the easiest choice in the world and my list would have been nothing like it did.
PDs are not solo decision-makers in this process either. And we feel pressure to "woo" applicants, too--I was blatantly told one year that "I didn't hear from you so I assumed you weren't interested". In my post-interview communication I make clear that I am sending the same message to every applicant, that we wouldn't have interviewed them if we didn't like them enough to rank them, and that I wish them Good Luck in the Match. So maybe that errs on the side of disinterest--I don't know. I will acknowledge that the disadvantage that all applicants have is that they only go through this ONCE, and we do this multiple years, so applicants are probably more subject to faulty "conventional wisdom", tea-leaf reading, and personal stress and anxiety. I don't know what we can do about that, short of blatantly publishing our rank lists to one another...and that just opens a different can of worms and injustices.

PDs are not solo decision-makers in this process either. And we feel pressure to "woo" applicants, too--I was blatantly told one year that "I didn't hear from you so I assumed you weren't interested". In my post-interview communication I make clear that I am sending the same message to every applicant, that we wouldn't have interviewed them if we didn't like them enough to rank them, and that I wish them Good Luck in the Match. So maybe that errs on the side of disinterest--I don't know. I will acknowledge that the disadvantage that all applicants have is that they only go through this ONCE, and we do this multiple years, so applicants are probably more subject to faulty "conventional wisdom", tea-leaf reading, and personal stress and anxiety. I don't know what we can do about that, short of blatantly publishing our rank lists to one another...and that just opens a different can of worms and injustices.

It really is a cattle call. Many interests and personalities.... and the process is time limited for all to begin at the same time. The usual special snowflakes are the ones who get their nose bent out of shape.

I liked Yale's post-interview communication approach. They explained to us that they don't send it out, and why, during the interview day. I thus never felt like not hearing from them was an indicator of any kind of disinterest.

I have to echo the above posters that it's not just "we think you're great!" that misleads applicants. I received an email from my #1 explaining how invested they were in recruiting me and welcoming me to let them know about anything that would help to that end, and I let them know they were my #1. I matched at #2. This was mildly deflating at the beginning but I have absolutely loved my program, so all worked out in the end.

In short I hear the multiple attendings insisting that messages are generic and not misleading, but take a listen to the residents who have recently come through. I think there seems to be a different consensus story. I for one reccomend Yale's approach: let's just stop the post-interview love letters from the program side.

Reactions: 6 users
With more time to process I'm more excited now :)

Really I think it has worked out for the better in the long run, as I said before it was one of my favorite programs (and arguably a much better program than where I was hoping to match) but I had moved it lower because of location. I've wanted to move & talked about moving for residency for a long time but I think as that idea became more of a reality I kinda backed off of it a little. I think yesterday's disappointment was less true disappointment and more fear about moving halfway across the country by myself. I've had the fortune of being very close to family and friends for med school so I'm a little worried about that support system not being there.

I forgot to post my rank list in the other thread, so here seems okay. I realize this is probably a weird list for some people and I wasn't particular about staying in Arizona, but I had to follow muh heart:

1. Maricopa Medical Center -- matched! I'm so incredibly happy, I love this place.
2. U of AZ South Campus
3. USC
4. UCLA-Harbor
5. UCLA-SFV
6. MCW

The rest in no particular order: University of Wisconsin, UC Irvine, OHSU, U of AZ Tucson, U of AZ Phoenix, Kaiser, University of Iowa