Match gift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking to get a gift for match for a friend (he's wanting to go into EM.) Any suggestions? Im looking for something that's EM related or anything that would be useful during residency! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I'm looking to get a gift for match for a friend (he's wanting to go into EM.) Any suggestions? Im looking for something that's EM related or anything that would be useful during residency! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

take him/her out to a romantic dinner :)

M4 here. Booze/food. I have all the medical stuff I need.

If he doesn't already have one...a Leatherman Raptor multi tool is a very useful gift in your price range.

Amazon product

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for the honest (and hilarious) suggestions!! I'll keep doing some research but maybe a nice dinner or something along those lines would be more appreciated!

What about an engraved pen? Or some pocket reference em book?

Politely disagree. Three years of residency and four years of attendinghood, and I have never wanted or thought I could use one of these at work.
Love it. Had classmates who used them in residency. In the community setting, I might not have easily accessible scissors - "grab my scissors and cut" is a whole lot better than "who has scissors" when the infrequent bad trauma makes everybody tense. The side clip is easy for carrying it as well.

Plus, it's the one medical thing the M4 probably doesn't have.

Thank you everyone for the honest (and hilarious) suggestions!! I'll keep doing some research but maybe a nice dinner or something along those lines would be more appreciated!

What about an engraved pen? Or some pocket reference em book?

pens get lost all the time, and well maybe some EM app would be good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Engraved pen will get lost. Pocket books have been replaced by smartphone apps.

Pepid app has been invaluable as an MS4, will definitely be reupping for residency...may be out of budget if you can't find a trial shorter than a year. Otherwise I second good booze.

Pepid app has been invaluable as an MS4, will definitely be reupping for residency...may be out of budget if you can't find a trial shorter than a year. Otherwise I second good booze.

Politely disagree. WikEM is free, and infinitely easier to use than PEPID (which, hey - could have changed its interface since I was a resident).

Really? Why?

Last I left PEPID it was like trying to read a .txt file.

When did you use PEPID last (just so I have a reference)?

PEPID is a lifesaver for me, perhaps literally. I stopped using WikiEM a year or more ago because it often didn't have what I searched for.

I wonder if PEPID has a free trial you could use to test it out..not sure.

When did you use PEPID last (just so I have a reference)?

PEPID is a lifesaver for me, perhaps literally. I stopped using WikiEM a year or more ago because it often didn't have what I searched for.

I wonder if PEPID has a free trial you could use to test it out..not sure.

Intern year was 2009/2010. That was my last slog thu that unnavigable OS.

Rare, unique and fits your budget

flip.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Get him something he will enjoy and use wisely.

Such as a Buck 119, a bottle of bourbon, a flashlight, some sort of tool, or a nice pair of cashmere/leather gloves.

There is nothing medically-related that anyone has ever given me that I have put to good use, other than the subscription to UWorld my parents got me for Christmas (I asked for it because I couldn't afford it) during MSII.

Most people in the position to match into a medical specialty know exactly what they need and anything else will be superfluous.

Reactions: 1 users