Match in Washington from Out-Of-State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saguarojack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my heart set on a community program in Seattle (a specific one), but my only concrete connection to the city is family (mother moved here this past year) and my best friends now live there. I've attempted to arrange a Sub-I here, but University of Washington has filled all spots at all Seattle hospitals with a Family Medicine residency with their own students (I reached out to each program separately).

Aside from approaching these programs at National Conference, what are some other ways to increase my chances of matching or to communicate effectively my desire to be in the NW for residency and later to practice?

About me: USMD at state school. Step 1 pass 1st time (below average), 3rd year all high pass (50-75th percentile), step 2 pending. Strong letters lined up. Tons of research all over the place with a couple pubs and many poster presentations. Hard science masters degree with teaching experience previously. Devoted a lot of time to underserved programs in my home city. LGBT outreach and education locally. A couple leadership positions here and there and sprinkled with beer brewing/poultry raising as extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad.

Have a great essay. You could try rotating there under something else, IM, EM, Rad, etc. Then you would be there to go visit the FP director and that office staff. Many times the morning report involves all students in all rotations.

As someone who lives in WA and works for a Residency program, I have always heard that having family in the area is pretty strong especially if you emphasize this in your interview/personal statement. My program has taken interns who have a significant other or family living in the city but were out of the city. My problem, although large, also takes a lot of OOS/OOR (outside WWAMI) interns.

Reactions: 1 user