Match list 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
didn't see a thread on this! LETS SEE THOSE MATCH LISTS.

Members don't see this ad.

AWESOME NYCOM Match List!!! So proud of us.

Temple Radiology, Columbia/Cornell (NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital) Emergency Medicine, North Shore LIJ Ophthalmology, NYU PM&R, St Luke's Roosevelt Anesthesiology, Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital) Obstetrics and Gynecology, just to name a few from the top of my head haha... congratulations to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note, anyone know where/when I can look up 2014 NRMP statisitics? I looked on their website, but they still only have 2013's up. I'm interested to know what was competitive this year, which specialties got more competitive, how many people went unmatched, etc.

So what's the consensus? More competitive? Less? I noticed a higher percentage of DO's matched, which iirc continues a trend over the last few years.

Anyone have the DMU match list?

Reactions: 1 user
87% ? I'm assuming that doesn't include SOAP and scramble?

That's my estimate based on the people that didn't participate or match AOA. It does NOT include SOAP or scramble. I believe total DO GME placement is still ~99%.

Unfortunately, the lack of more specific stats means we can only estimate total match rate. When the match is combined, it should give us a better idea of total match stats.

Our school seems to have had a great year. Out of a 70-80 person class, there are two neurosurgeons, one AOA, one ACGME at Tulane, and at least one ACGME ortho match.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DOs matched at a record 77.7%. That makes the total DO match somewhere around 87%. Pretty good guys.

There were 5153 grads this year, but 5645 DO's participated in the match. 2341 matched AOA positions while 2127 matched ACGME positions. Therefore the overall match rate I calculated is (2341+2127)/5645 = 79.15%. If we only take the number of the new grads in consideration, the match rate becomes 86.71%. Either way, I expect that the percentage of DO's who secured a PGY-1 position after AOA scramble and SOAP to be above 95%.

That said, DO's had an overall higher match rate than any previous year.

https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html
http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...Residency-Match-Advance-Data-Tables-FINAL.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
There were 5153 grads this year, but 5645 DO's participated in the match. 2341 matched AOA positions while 2127 matched ACGME positions. Therefore the overall match rate I calculated is (2341+2127)/5645 = 79.15%. If we only take the number of the new grads in consideration, the match rate becomes 86.71%. Either way, I expect that the percentage of DO's who secured a PGY-1 position after AOA scramble and SOAP to be above 95%.

http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...Residency-Match-Advance-Data-Tables-FINAL.pdf

Just to clarify -- are you saying that the 95% of DOs who did not match would have found a spot in SOAP? That's great. How do you figure the rate being so high?

Haha, thanks for corroborating bro! iA we'll all be fine.

Also, its consistent with what we know about non-seniors (i.e. their match stats are generally much less than seniors, as is consistent when you compare MD seniors to MD grads).

Also, the direct comparison even how you calculated it is difficult considering the possibilty that some people who scrambled AOA could have potentially matched ACGME, but simply chose to secure a spot. I hope that when the match combines we'll have a more exact idea of the match stats.

Last edited:
Just to clarify -- are you saying that the 95% of DOs who did not match would have found a spot in SOAP? That's great. How do you figure the rate being so high?

No, I was speculating that, overall, >95% of DO grads will secure a residency spot, and that after the official matches, AOA scramble, and SOAP.

The basis of my speculations is as follows:

The Data show that 1177 DO's didn't match AOA and ACGME positions.
According to this https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html, there were 924 positions left unfilled after the AOA match. According to this http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm, there were 267 pgy-1 residency positions left after the scramble (I counted them. If you don't trust me, knock yourself out). This means that 657 DO's matched AOA post match positions though scrambling.
This leaves us with 1177 - 657 = 520 unmatched DO's.
*I assumed that out of approximately 1000 ACGME unfilled positions, DO's were able to secure (through SOAP) at least 1/4th of them, or 250 spots.
*This now leaves 270 DO's out of 5645 (which include ~500 non-senior DO applicants) without a residency position. 270/5645 * 100 = 5%.

*The last two lines are pure speculations and I have no way to support my claims with facts.

i love match day. i know it may be weird, but if you are having trouble staying motivated, watch some videos of M4s opening their match day letters. frission inducing.

4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and everything in between--all that can be said about your hard work lies within an envelope. beautiful.

Reactions: 5 users
Some more for NYCOM from my classmates:

Internal Medicine at Yale, Internal Medicine at Cleveland Clinic, Pediatrics at The Children's Hospital at Montefiore (Albert Einstein College of Medicine), I'll post more when the official match list comes out. Anything is possible, keep working hard guys!

Does this mean that DO ACGME matching are improving and more programs are becoming more receptive?

Very pumped to here this good news, sounds like NYCOM did some serious work.

Anyone want to post some VCOM-VC info

No, I was speculating that, overall, >95% of DO grads will secure a residency spot, and that after the official matches, AOA scramble, and SOAP.

The basis of my speculations is as follows:

The Data show that 1177 DO's didn't match AOA and ACGME positions.
According to this https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html, there were 924 positions left unfilled after the AOA match. According to this http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm, there were 267 pgy-1 residency positions left after the scramble (I counted them. If you don't trust me, knock yourself out). This means that 657 DO's matched AOA post match positions though scrambling.
This leaves us with 1177 - 657 = 520 unmatched DO's.
*I assumed that out of approximately 1000 ACGME unfilled positions, DO's were able to secure (through SOAP) at least 1/4th of them, or 250 spots.
*This now leaves 270 DO's out of 5645 (which include ~500 non-senior DO applicants) without a residency position. 270/5645 * 100 = 5%.

*The last two lines are pure speculations and I have no way to support my claims with facts.
All of is makes sense except for the ACGME scramble where I believe last year the number of DO that found spots in the scramble was only 90 so I would go with that number so figure 5225/5645 = 92.6%

All of is makes sense except for the ACGME scramble where I believe last year the number of DO that found spots in the scramble was only 90 so I would go with that number so figure 5225/5645 = 92.6%

Wow. Only 90?? I thought that they would get at least a quarter of the spots and USMD's get half while everyone else gets the remaining quarter.

Wow. Only 90?? I thought that they would get at least a quarter of the spots and USMD's get half while everyone else gets the remaining quarter.

There are thousands of IMGs/FMGs (6000+) in the SOAP and only about ~600 DOs and ~970 MD seniors (+ another ~880 MD grads), so it makes sense that more spots will go to MDs (there's >3 times as many of them as DOs). That said, there are still spots open after the SOAP, but I'm sure its a small number.

Also, as for the remaining 257 AOA spots post-scramble, is that just after the AOA scramble or after all placement (i.e. after DOs who fail to match ACGME try to scramble into AOA spots)? If its the former, that might mean more DOs getting placed than previously estimated. Remember that for US MDs and IMGs/FMGs the NRMP SOAP is basically their last chance, whereas DOs still have some AOA to fall back on.

Again, this will all change with the combined match, so all we can do is just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
There are thousands of IMGs/FMGs (6000+) in the SOAP and only about ~600 DOs and ~970 MD seniors (+ another ~880 MD grads), so it makes sense that more spots will go to MDs (there's >3 times as many of them as DOs). That said, there are still spots open after the SOAP, but I'm sure its a small number.

Also, as for the remaining 257 AOA spots post-scramble, is that just after the AOA scramble or after all placement (i.e. after DOs who fail to match ACGME try to scramble into AOA spots)? If its the former, that might mean more DOs getting placed than previously estimated. Remember that for US MDs and IMGs/FMGs the NRMP SOAP is basically their last chance, whereas DOs still have some AOA to fall back on.

Again, this will all change with the combined match, so all we can do is just wait and see what happens.

Yeah, that would be a waste of 257 funded spots. The merger will ensure that no funded position will be left unoccupied. This in turn will increase the USMD and DO placement in post-graduate training.

On a side note, 92.6% is a good placement rate for and not too far below that of USMD's. They initially had a combined match rate of 90.3% (senior applicants and previous grads). If we assume 600 of that 1000 unmatched spots eventually get occupied by them, then the combined placement rate becomes 93.5%, only 1% higher than that of DO's.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would be a waste of 257 funded spots. The merger will ensure that no funded position will be left unoccupied. This in turn will increase the USMD and DO placement in post-graduate training.

On a side note, 92.6% is a good placement rate for and not too far below that of USMD's. They initially had a combined match rate of 90.3% (senior applicants and previous grads). If we assume 600 of that 1000 unmatched spots eventually get occupied by them, then the combined placement rate becomes 93.5%, only 1% higher than that of DO's.
I thought it would be much higher... Like 97%+... 92%+ does not bring me that much comfort unless there are a good number of applicants who decide to wait for a year to beef up their resume so they can be more competitive for a particular specialty.

Last edited:
I thought it would be much higher... Like 97%+...

New (July 2013) COCA requirements require every accredited DO school to have a 98% GME placement rate over 3 years. So, if it isn't that high already, it will be, or schools will close. I see more schools expanding their OPTIs as opposed to closing down.

I thought it would be much higher... Like 97%+...

Remember, this rate is the combined rate for senior applicants plus previous graduates who usually have a placement rate of as low as 50%. If we were to calculate the placement rate for senior applicants only, USMD's will have a rate of 98%+ and DO's will have a rate of 96%+.

The thing that I wonder about, who are those previous grads? Are they the ones who failed to match in previous years, or are they physicians who are looking to switch specialties?

Remember, this rate is the combined rate for senior applicants plus previous graduates who usually have a placement rate of as low as 50%. If we were to calculate the placement rate for senior applicants only, USMD's will have a rate of 98%+ and DO's will have a rate of 96%+.
Oh I see... This is much better then... I thought these numbers were only for seniors. Why previous US grads have such low placement rate?

Oh I see... This is much better then... I thought these numbers were only for seniors. Why previous US grads have such low placement rate?

If you didn't match the first time around, I would wonder about your fitness to enter residency after being away from the rigors of medical school for 1+ years...

I get rusty and have to re-study stuff in a matter of 2-3 months, and that's when I'm doing something different in medicine (i.e. forget lab reference ranges after doing a surgery rotation) Imagine if I spent a year away from medical school completely, or just doing bench research etc.

Last edited:
Lmu Dcom

Univ Tenn family med and pathology
Emory PMR(unconfirmed)
Univ cincy Rads
univ Wisconsin PMR
Wake Forrest pathology
Univ of Toledo EM *3 folks
Univ of MS EM
OK state-Tulsa EM
Doctors Hospital EM
Portsmouth Oh-EM
Sparrow Urology
Botsford Rads
Doctors Hospital rads
MCG- Surgery
Univ if Vermont anesthesia
We also had 3other EM matches in michigan that I know of that are AOA(two of them MSU affiliated with one of them being EM/IM) and one acgme in sagnaw michigan.

You mean after scramble/soap right?

I'm not a DO student, but my fiancé is. He matched to Loma Linda pediatrics.

Anyone else going there? We are so excited, but scared. We've never left from home (Arizona) before. :D

Reactions: 1 user
GA-PCOM

Ortho match at Banner Health
Neurosurg match at Tulane, and an AOA neurosurg match
IM - Georgetown
Neuro - Wake Forest
Rads - MCG, U of South Alabama

The thing that I wonder about, who are those previous grads? Are they the ones who failed to match in previous years, or are they physicians who are looking to switch specialties?

Probably both, but probably more so the former. I've heard of some people that don't match who want a very specific (and often competitive residency) doing a pre-residency fellowship, research, TRI, etc. and reapplying.

Also, it looks like the spots of PGY-1 programs left after the scramble are slowly shrinking, most likely due to people who failed to match ACGME.

If you didn't match the first time around, I would wonder about your fitness to enter residency after being away from the rigors of medical school for 1+ years...

I get rusty and have to re-study stuff in a matter of 2-3 months, and that's when I'm doing something different in medicine (i.e. forget lab reference ranges after doing a surgery rotation) Imagine if I spent a year away from medical school completely, or just doing bench research etc.

Hopefully they'd find something to do to keep them sharp, e.g. observership, research, shadowing, etc.

radiology and anesthesiology are not that competitive anymore, but IMO any allo EM, NS, or upper tier IM, and I guess ophtho match is impressive. Not sure if Yale or GT's programs are considered "upper tier", but must be solid programs.

its crazy how just a few years ago, a DO was lucky to match even a community ACGME rads program. Today? 81 unfilled Rads spots in the match

Last edited:
Probably both, but probably more so the former. I've heard of some people that don't match who want a very specific (and often competitive residency) doing a pre-residency fellowship, research, TRI, etc. and reapplying.

Also, it looks like the spots of PGY-1 programs left after the scramble are slowly shrinking, most likely due to people who failed to match ACGME.

Hopefully they'd find something to do to keep them sharp, e.g. observership, research, shadowing, etc.
Really? I haven't been keeping count of the post match slots.

radiology and anesthesiology are not that competitive anymore, but IMO any allo EM, NS, or upper tier IM, and I guess ophtho match is impressive. Not sure if Yale or GT's programs are considered "upper tier", but must be solid programs.

its crazy how just a few years ago, a DO was lucky to match even a community ACGME rads program. Today? 81 unfilled Rads spots in the match

Whoa, I remember reading on the Rads forum how they said Rad's job market isn't exactly great. Maybe this will encourage residencies to close down?

But most likely IMGs will just fill the position.

Overall glad to see this and I'm sure it will improve for DOs as the unified match gets underway.

Its possible I miscounted, but I counted 250-something (thought it was 256, but not sure)... hold on, I'll recount it.

Recount: 253 (14 less than when you counted).

My number and your number are close enough to assume that I miscounted. However I still wonder if the possibility to scramble for the remaining slots is still existent.

My number and your number are close enough to assume that I miscounted. However I still wonder if the possibility to scramble for the remaining slots is still existent.

Why wouldn't it be? I'd imagine it'd be open until July 1st. Programs want to fill their spots. Spots going unfilled = loss of funding and generally not looking good (bad for reputation). I'd imagine its only in the programs best interest to accept people the longest they could.

Its also possible that some/many of those are already filled and just haven't been updated.

Whoa, I remember reading on the Rads forum how they said Rad's job market isn't exactly great. Maybe this will encourage residencies to close down?

But most likely IMGs will just fill the position.

Overall glad to see this and I'm sure it will improve for DOs as the unified match gets underway.

The 81 is a bit misleading. I think something like 100 new spots were made in ~2010. Before that there were only ~6-8 unfilled spots/yr (back when it was "more competitive") and since then the number of unfilled spots has been ~80, so if anything more people are actually matching rads now than before 2010. That said, having stagnant apps in a time when more docs are graduating actually isn't a great sign for the future.

Last edited:
It is good to see the ACGME Neurosurg matches. Keep it up! Perhaps it will become more common when I get there.

Look at page 5 of that report. A few things are as evident as IMG are getting squeezed out badly, judging from that 2010-2014 trend, I mean these guys have it bad. Also, for those potentially interested in EM, that 99. something percent for the filled EM positions is very telling about the increasing competitiveness of the specialty, however, at the same time many of these spots are being filled by IMG's, so there is room still for future US grads. My 0.02

GA-PCOM

Ortho match at Banner Health
Neurosurg match at Tulane, and an AOA neurosurg match
IM - Georgetown
Neuro - Wake Forest
Rads - MCG, U of South Alabama
Also, can you confirm or deny the rumor I heard about an ACGME derm match for ga-pcom

Last edited: