Match List 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenjixshadow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Just want to make this clear..

~20% DOs who didn't matched into ACGME most likely entered into earlier AOA match correct?

Integrating AOA + ACGME should yield the match rate of DO close to upper 90's

It'd be interesting to see the match rate of ACGME increasing as more and more previously AOA accredited residencies become ACGME accredited.

Reactions: 1 users
match lists broken down by schools, anyone?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to make this clear..

~20% DOs who didn't matched into ACGME most likely entered into earlier AOA match correct?

Integrating AOA + ACGME should yield the match rate of DO close to upper 90's

It'd be interesting to see the match rate of ACGME increasing as more and more previously AOA accredited residencies become ACGME accredited.

That 20% bet everything on the ACGME match and did not match at all. They will have to scramble/soap. The 26% that withdrew are mostly the ones that matched into AOA residencies.

Integrating the two matches will put matching near 100%, last year it was 99.41%.

Reactions: 10 users
KCOM 2016 (this doesn't include everyone; some people haven't uploaded their info yet, but it's the vast majority of the class)

Anesthesia

Oklahoma State University
Des Peres Hospital
Riverside Medical Center
St. Louis University
Cleveland Clinic
University of Chicago
St. Louis University
Northeast Regional Medical Center

Derm

Botsford Hospital
SAUSHEC

Emergency Med

Inspira Health Network
Arrowhead Regional Medical Ctr
Allegiance Health
Madigan Army Medical Center
Botsford Hospital
Central Michigan University
Akron City Hospital (NEOMED/Summa)
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
New York Methodist Hospital
Texas Tech
Univ. California Davis
University of Texas - Dell SOM
Geisinger Medical Center
Akron General Hospital

Family Med

Offutt AFB
Sparrow Hospital
Metro Health
McLaren Macomb
Lakeland Regional Medical Center
SIU Quincy Family Medicine
St. John Macomb-Oakland
St. John Medical Center
Forbes Hospital Allegheny Health Network
UP Health System - Marquette
Community Westview Hospital
Munson Medical Center
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Heart of Lancaster Regional Med Center
University of Wyoming
Medical College of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
Medical College of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
McLaren Macomb
Valley Medical Center
The Wright Center
Community Westview Hospital
McLaren Oakland
Northeast Regional Medical Center
United Memorial Medical Center
University of Wisconsin: Wausau
St. Mary Corwin
Palm Springs General Hospital
Center For Family Medicine/SIU Springfield
Danville Regional Medical Center
SIU Quincy Family Medicine
Corpus Christi Medical Center
Center For Family Medicine/SIU Springfield
Community Health Care
Integris Bass Baptist Health Center
Truman Medical Center- Lakewood
Mercy Hospital-St. Louis
HonorHealth Scottsdale Osborn
Idaho State University
UMKC/Truman Medical Center-Lakewood
TriHealth Bethesda Family Practice
University of Maryland Medical Center
Duke University
Mizzou

Family Med/NMM

Florida Hospital - East Orlando
Southampton Hospital

General Surgery

Doctors Hospital
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb
Beaumont-Trenton
Genesys
St. John's Episcopal
St. John's Episcopal
Geisinger Wyoming Valley

Internal Medicine

Naval Medical Center San Diego
Allegheny General Hospital
St. John Macomb-Oakland
Freeman Health System
Largo Medical Center
Lakeland Regional Medical Ceter
Wright Patterson AFB/Miami Valley
Freeman Health System
Oklahoma State University/OMECO
Unity Health
Corpus Christi Medical Center
VA Medical Center
Maricopa Medical Center
U Arizona COM-Phoenix
Hennepin County Medical Center
Loyola University
University of Kansas

NMM

Michigan State University

Neurology

Garden City
Southern Illinois Univeristy

OB/GYN

Genesys Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb
Grandview Hospital
St. John Macomb-Oakland
Presence St. Francis Hospital
Mercy Hospital

Ophtho

SAUSHEC
Grandview

Orthopedics

McLaren Greater Lansing
Western Reserve Hospital
McLaren Greater Lansing
Mayo Clinic

Pathology

SAMMC

Pediatrics

Dayton Children's Hospital / Wright Patterson Air Force Base
OSU/OMECO
Oklahoma State/OMECO
Childrens Regional/Cooper University Hospital
MU Women's & Children's Hospital
St. Louis University
University of New Mexico SOM
University of Illinois-OSF
Crozer Chester Medical Center/DuPont Hospital for Children
University of Iowa Children's Hospital
University of South Dakota Sanford Children's Hospital
Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent

Psychiatry

Naval Medical Center San Diego
MSUCOM/Detroit Wayne County Health Authority
JPS
Mayo

Radiology

McLaren Oakland
University of Texas Med School-Houston
University of Louisville
University of Missouri
Maricopa County Hospital

Transitional Year

PGY1-Gen Surg-Civilian Deferred
Weatherford Regional Medical Center
Botsford Hospital
Capital Region Medical Center
Bayonne Medical Center
Beaumont-Trenton
Palisades Medical Center

Vascular Surgery

Charleston Area Medical Center/West Virginia University

Just wanted to add:

I know match lists are fun to look at, but please do make your decision on a school based on it. These lists change yearly and really only reflect an individual's performance. It doesn't have much to do with the school per se.

Reactions: 7 users
Attached is a 2016 Kansas City University match list for 163 students. It's probably only about 2/3rds complete.

Also add the following:
-PM&R at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)
-ENT at Tulane University (New Orleans, LA)

Attachments

• KCU Class of 2016 Matches.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
I like that KCOM ortho match at Mayo!

Reactions: 3 users
I like that KCOM ortho match at Mayo!

Apparently Mayo is very DO friendly in a lot of competative specialties if you have an app that is on par with their standards. I find that interesting

Reactions: 8 users
Apparently Mayo is very DO friendly in a lot of competative specialties if you have an app that is on par with their standards. I find that interesting

Don't get me wrong, Mayo is a great place to train, but have you ever been to Rochester, MN? Mayo's location provides a difficulty recruiting problem for them, which is why it's slightly "easier" for DO's to match there whereas at other programs often mentioned in the same breath as Mayo, DO applications will likely just get filtered out on the basis of being a DO.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add:

I know match lists are fun to look at, but please do make your decision on a school based on it. These lists change yearly and really only reflect an individual's performance. It doesn't have much to do with the school per se.
Absolutely they have a lot to do with the school. Shows the resources and mentors to educate students to do well. Certainly individuals can stand out, but looking at match lists year to year provides some sense of a school's ability to match students into XYZ speciality.

Don't get me wrong, Mayo is a great place to train, but have you ever been to Rochester, MN? Mayo's location provides a difficulty recruiting problem for them, which is why it's slightly "easier" for DO's to match there whereas at other programs often mentioned in the same breath as Mayo, DO applications will likely just get filtered out on the basis of being a DO.
Mayo has the best Ortho program in the country. My buddy from a top 10 school with a 265+ step 1 ranked Mayo #1 and ended up matching at his #5. So this student must have been stellar.

I'm surprised that no one talks about that one Olive UCLA Internal Medicine match by KCU. There is no DO in that program. That person is that first DO to match there.

Agree. Every year I see established DO schools have students match well into different specialties whereas some schools have half of their students match into primary care. If I was a pre-med and I know that I want to specialize, I'd put my money on more established schools.

The match lists at KCU really do make me happy for choosing this place.

I heard NYIT and RVU had great matches this year

@SLC Any word on SOMAs match list?

Yes.. I would really like to see SOMA's match list as well!

Word on the street is that TCOM grads killed it this year, looking forward to seeing the official list

Just so everyone knows why there is a delay getting these match lists up, few schools that I know release an official match list so it is usually self reported on a google doc. All my fellow 4th years are out celebrating and partying this weekend and no one is really thinking about updating the list right now. I'm looking at the WesternU google doc and probably only half or so have put theirs up. Just have some patience and most places should be updated soon.

Ok, you have a point, but I wish in general people would stop undermining a great match from a DO school with "Oh but it's in a crappy location or oh it's not an upper tier program. Ortho at Mayo is fantastic, and sure it's not in NYC or LA but it's still admirable, I'd say.

Reactions: 2 users
Word on the street is that TCOM grads killed it this year, looking forward to seeing the official list

It was a pretty good match for them. I don't have the official list but the ones i remember:

Harvard (PM&R), beth israel deaconess(Anes), Emory (peds), UTHSCSA (gen surg), U- Arkansas (optho), UTSW (PM&R, EM, Psych, neuro) , Loma Linda (Ob and Neuro), U south carolina (IM), U Nebraska (EM) Baylor College of med (EM), Tulane (Peds), UMKC (peds), Wake Forest (IM), University of Washington (PM&R), University of Utah (PM&R) a bunch more peds and internal med at UTHSCSA, Texas Tech, UT Houston, Baylor Dallas, Texas A&M, UT Galveston. It seems like more than half the class went into a university based program around Texas.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely they have a lot to do with the school. Shows the resources and mentors to educate students to do well. Certainly individuals can stand out, but looking at match lists year to year provides some sense of a school's ability to match students into XYZ speciality.

Eh, I agree and disagree. I would only give my school credit for preparing me to do well on Step 1, which is obviously a component of matching something competitive (so in that sense I agree with you). However, 3rd/4th year are all you. You make the connections, you prepare yourself for all boards after Step 1, you seek out mentors (my school really only knows about the AOA match and nearly nothing about the ACGME match), etc. My school is almost totally disengaged 3rd/4th year which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it forces the students to do more work, which also isn't a bad thing. The only reason I bring this up is because I think student>>school when it comes to matching ACGME (AOA is a little different).

Also, in the ACGME world, I don't think one program I interviewed at had heard of my school and it is definitely one of the more established DO schools. My point is, school name doesn't carry any weight for ACGME residencies like Yale, Harvard, Wash U, etc. More than likely, they have never heard of it, which again is why I don't think where you go to school has much to do with a match list. Even if you look at newer DO schools (some of which I've probably never even heard of), there is going to be an outlier that is an awesome match. Can we credit the school for that? Partly, but I would argue the student is by far the more important factor. Every school has years with varying degrees of match list "awesomeness". I'm sure there are times when you can look at Harvard's or Yale's list and say that you aren't that impressed.

There is also some self selection. People from a more rural area may go to a more rural school, and may decide to go to a rural program for residency. Again, this doesn't really pertain to the school per se, but it is the student that really drives match list. Is it the school's fault that they didn't have any matches at the prestigious NYU in New York City or MGH in Boston? I think not.

Like I said, I will agree that the school is partly responsible for a match list. However, I would never advise a pre-med to look at a match list to help determine where they are going. It really doesn't matter. Go to whatever school, do your best, and accomplish whatever you want. I'm really only saying this from an ACGME side of things; maybe you can argue that it's different for AOA, but that isn't my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Eh, I agree and disagree. I would only give my school credit for preparing me to do well on Step 1, which is obviously a component of matching something competitive (so in that sense I agree with you). However, 3rd/4th year are all you. You make the connections, you prepare yourself for all boards after Step 1, you seek out mentors (my school really only knows about the AOA match and nearly nothing about the ACGME match), etc. My school is almost totally disengaged 3rd/4th year which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it forces the students to do more work, which also isn't a bad thing. The only reason I bring this up is because I think student>>school when it comes to matching ACGME (AOA is a little different).

Also, in the ACGME world, I don't think one program I interviewed at had heard of my school and it is definitely one of the more established DO schools. My point is, school name doesn't carry any weight for ACGME residencies like Yale, Harvard, Wash U, etc. More than likely, they have never heard of it, which again is why I don't think where you go to school has much to do with a match list. Even if you look at newer DO schools (some of which I've probably never even heard of), there is going to be an outlier that is an awesome match. Can we credit the school for that? Partly, but I would argue the student is by far the more important factor. Every school has years with varying degrees of match list "awesomeness". I'm sure there are times when you can look at Harvard's or Yale's list and say that you aren't that impressed.

Like I said, I will agree that the school is partly responsible for a match list. However, I would never advise a pre-med to look at a match list to help determine where they are going. It really doesn't matter. Go to whatever school, do your best, and accomplish whatever you want. I'm really only saying this from an ACGME side of things; maybe you can argue that it's different for AOA, but that isn't my point.

The MD side has a gradation of school prestige as you mentioned so their match lists are clearly different. A DO is a DO no matter where he/she went to school which really stinks because we have a gradation of schools too... Match lists from DO schools are near meaningless in terms of evaluating how "good" a DO school is. You MIGHT see some "pipeline" type things such as a school normally sending students to X nearby hospitals for Y specialty year after year, but that's about it.

The MD side has a gradation of school prestige as you mentioned so their match lists are clearly different. A DO is a DO no matter where he/she went to school which really stinks because we have a gradation of schools too... Match lists from DO schools are near meaningless in terms of evaluating how "good" a DO school is. You MIGHT see some "pipeline" type things such as a school normally sending students to X nearby hospitals for Y specialty year after year, but that's about it.

Totally agree.

And I'm curious (since I didn't apply AOA), did any 4th years ever hear on the interview trail "Wow, you went to DMU/KCOM/PCOM/whatever. I'm really impressed."? Probably not, because it really doesn't matter. But please correct me if you did hear that.

Totally agree.

And I'm curious (since I didn't apply AOA), did any 4th years ever hear on the interview trail "Wow, you went to DMU/KCOM/PCOM/whatever. I'm really impressed."? Probably not, because it really doesn't matter. But please correct me if you did hear that.
Can we get this forum back on topic?

ENT at Tulane for KCUMB

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
I'm surprised that no one talks about that one Olive UCLA Internal Medicine match by KCU. There is no DO in that program. That person is that first DO to match there.

That's actually not true. There is one DO from Western who's currently a PGY-2 and there have been at least 2-3 other Western grads in that program in the last 5 years to my knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
DCOM match looking "mediocre"...again. You can see the very few brave souls who posted their match results on DCOM's facebook.

Anesthesiology at the University of Louisville
Anesthesiology at
Medical University of South Carolina

Family Medicine at St. Joe Regional Med Center in South Bend, Indiana
Family Medicine at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Jackson
Family Medicine at UT Health Northeast in Tyler, Texas
Family Medicine at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo Mississippi (2)
Family Medicine at the University of Alabama

Internal Medicine at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point in Hudson, Florida
Internal Medicine at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville
Internal Medicine at University of Kentucky

Pediatrics at University of Louisville
Pediatrics at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pediatrics at the University of Tennessee - Chattanooga

Surgery-Prelim at Loyola University Chicago

Just wanted to add:

Agree, if people really want to analyze match lists, they have to look at several cycles. Most of the time it'll still be somewhat meaningless, but there are some things you can take out of it. Examples:

School X had zero people match derm over the last 5 cycles, probably not the best place to go if you want to match derm. Probably not the best place to go if you've got your heart set on derm.

School Y had multiple people match at a particular prestigious program in a certain competitive specialty several years in a row. Probably means school Y has a decent reputation there which could help your odds.

School Z regularly matches 50% of it's class into family med and less than 5% of people matched into a surgical specialty. School Z probably focuses more on primary care and doesn't attract/encourage it's students to take the surgical route. Might not be the school for someone wanting to cut for a living.

Not saying any of this would be 100%, but looking at several years/cycles will give pre-meds a far better idea of where a school is likely to take them than just a single match list.

Apparently Mayo is very DO friendly in a lot of competitive specialties if you have an app that is on par with their standards. I find that interesting

They are. KCU has had 3 people match derm there in the past 4-5 years (and had several more people match into other specialties there as well).

Mayo has the best Ortho program in the country. My buddy from a top 10 school with a 265+ step 1 ranked Mayo #1 and ended up matching at his #5. So this student must have been stellar.

That's highly debatable and a lot of people would argue that Mayo's overrated b/c of the name. That being said, it's still an outstanding program and I'd be shocked if anyone that matched there (especially in ortho) wasn't a very strong and well-rounded applicant.

the way the script goes is even if a student matches at a place thats 99.998 percent excellence people will repeatedly emphasize the .002 that is off about a program

That's highly debatable and a lot of people would argue that Mayo's overrated b/c of the name. That being said, it's still an outstanding program and I'd be shocked if anyone that matched there (especially in ortho) wasn't a very strong and well-rounded applicant.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. They have a large amount of residencies that are considered top tier, including ortho. Here is a list of top places for each residency a poster had made:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/compilation-of-top-residency-programs.906704/#post-12426310

Again, these list can change and a lot of it is word of mouth from PDs (and this word of mouth travels through SDN). It's all a matter of what residency programs your looking at, not so much the place itself.

One can make arguments about it being in a small city and other reasons. In the end, that Mayo match in Ortho was an insanely stellar match.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. They have a large amount of residencies that are considered top tier, including ortho. Here is a list of top places for each residency a poster had made:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/compilation-of-top-residency-programs.906704/#post-12426310

Again, these list can change and a lot of it is word of mouth from PDs (and this word of mouth travels through SDN). It's all a matter of what residency programs your looking at, not so much the place itself.

One can make arguments about it being in a small city and other reasons. In the end, that Mayo match in Ortho was an insanely stellar match.

FYI, the list you're referencing is basically straight up copied and pasted from Doximity. I'm not saying Mayo doesn't have incredibly strong programs in some areas (like ortho), but I often here people say "OMG, ___ matched X specialty at Mayo! You know that's (one of) the best program(s) in the country!", when that field is riding off of Mayo's name. Granted, I'll concede that for ortho I've never heard someone argue it's not a top 5 program.

There's also a difference between saying a program is one of the best vs. THE best in the country, and when it comes to residency, there are too many variable factors (level of research funding, number of publications, number of people sub-specializing, patient volume/variety, etc.) to make definitive lists for residency programs. It's the same reason med schools are placed into 'tiers' instead of given concrete rankings.

FYI, the list you're referencing is basically straight up copied and pasted from Doximity. I'm not saying Mayo doesn't have incredibly strong programs in some areas (like ortho), but I often here people say "OMG, ___ matched X specialty at Mayo! You know that's (one of) the best program(s) in the country!", when that field is riding off of Mayo's name. Granted, I'll concede that for ortho I've never heard someone argue it's not a top 5 program.

There's also a difference between saying a program is one of the best vs. THE best in the country, and when it comes to residency, there are too many variable factors (level of research funding, number of publications, number of people sub-specializing, patient volume/variety, etc.) to make definitive lists for residency programs. It's the same reason med schools are placed into 'tiers' instead of given concrete rankings.

Sorry I think I might have misunderstood your former post. I wasn't sure whether you questioning whether it was a top tier program or the top program amongst ortho programs. You're right, one cannot consider this the top program, there are too many variables (hence the tiers). I have read threads in the past and it was considered a top tier residency program by ortho applicants (not just that thread with the doximity report generated list, but the list does match what I have read for some of the specialties such as PM&R, Neuro, etc.). True that those people who state that Mayo is a good match no matter what the field are people who don't have an understanding of the tiers of each field. However, Mayo still has many residencies that are considered top tier in their respective fields, so one also has to be careful to not write them off either.

It always amazes me how much of discussions about matching is regurged gossip from the thread next door

Nova hit some interesting stuff this year. IM at einstein and georgetown, anesth at Icahn, optho at Georgia.

"Those arent competitive"

Yeah i dont care, i just came here to eyeball the code while everyone runs around frantically