Match lists 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is hilariously off-topic...

LMU-DCOM's Facebook posted a few of their matches, not sure what's good or not. This is also only people who agreed to have their name and face on the website, so I doubt anyone else is going to post.

EM
~St. Elizabeth (Boardman, Ohio)
~ UoRochester

FM
~UAB-Huntsville
~ UoTennessee-Murfreesboro
~UoTennessee-Knoxville

IM
~Greenville Health System (south carolina)
~UoFlorida**

Pathology
~UoFlorida**

PMR
~Larkin Community Hospital (Miami, FL)

**Florida matches are a couple.

When do they normally release the match list? Someone else matched IM at Cleveland Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

When do they normally release the match list? Someone else matched IM at Cleveland Clinic

Can't speak for LMU-DCOM but my school doesn't usually "publish" a match list. They'll often times send one out to newly accepted students, and those in M1-M3 at the time, but they don't publish a public one to my knowledge. LMU may be the same.

Can't speak for LMU-DCOM but my school doesn't usually "publish" a match list. They'll often times send one out to newly accepted students, and those in M1-M3 at the time, but they don't publish a public one to my knowledge. LMU may be the same.

I've only ever seen the big map that they print in the lobby of the school. I don't think they publish the list publicly other than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
is this list self-reported? i know some of the matches at KCUMB, and i do not see them on this list.
Added a few that were missed:
Derm @ KU
Neurosurgery @ Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
PM&R @ UT- Houston

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a 4th year at DCOM. Yeah you're right, those official facebook page posts are entirely voluntary and a large portion of our class seems not to be very interested in participating in that.

All in all our class seems to have done fairly well in the match. I don't really have the perspective to accurately judge, but from what I saw it seems that the AOA match was a little rough at first (more scrambles than I expected to see) but the ACGME match went pretty well by comparison. Probably a self-selection thing.

I don't want to get into posting a ton of our matches because frankly I feel like these SDN conversations about who is bottom/mid/upper tier tend to pretty severely miss the point about what residency and the match is actually about. Probably just like any other DO school out there we have some highlight matches (Optho at UNC, EM at Cornell, Psych at Harvard, a handful of decent IM, some Ortho, Neurosurg, etc etc), but also like any other med school we have a ton of community matches and a handful of sad stories as well. I know a guy who's near the top of our class that had to SOAP into a field that has absolutely nothing to do with what he originally wanted to do... It was a real tradegy. Taking these highlight matches and trying to contort them into a means to assess the strength of the school is really a poor strategy I think. Here's the truth about ANY DO school in this country: the matches are generally more slanted towards primary care/community programs compared to MD schools, and every school has a small number of standout individuals that chased and caught some name brand programs. In the end I think the people who got those highlight matches are probably the type of people that would have done it no matter what school they attended, and on the other hand every once in a while some people just seem to get screwed over. These outliers seem to me to have very little bearing on nationwide trends in DO competetiveness or any value at all in predicting outcomes for individual students/applicants. Aggregate data would be another story entirely, but (for reasons that are easy to speculate about), DO schools don't tend to be entirely forthcoming with raw match lists.

This makes me more nervous about going to DCOM :(

sooo those match lists that was suppose to be on here.....

I've only ever seen the big map that they print in the lobby of the school. I don't think they publish the list publicly other than that.

I think they do actually. There's usually a .PDF version of those posters on the website, though I'm not sure when they actually publish them.

Well it shouldn't. Makes me wonder if maybe you didn't get the point of what I said?

Reactions: 1 user

That's really not what the point of the post was. Honestly our class did really well in terms of people matching into what they wanted and a lot of people got their first choice program at that. I think the point is that taking the people that matched into "OMG neurosurg at Harvard" or something and making assumptions about the school as a whole is kinda ridiculous. You are always going to have outlier awesome matches and outlier sad story matches. Trying to "read" a match list is actually pretty useless unless you know if the specialty/program is the student's first choice. I chose my program based on multiple factors, but location and ease of transfer for my significant other was at the top of my list. I matched at my number 1 program and it would probably be considered a "low tier" program if you just look at the name. Honestly out of our whole class there were only 2 that I know of that didn't match in the ACGME match that tried for it. The AOA match was a little harsher for us but a lot of that are the people that tried to match something very competitive in the AOA but had backup less competitive ACGME programs. After going through the whole match process I am of the opinion that your school has very little to do with where and what a person matches in (and DCOM at least takes a very minimalist approach in general after 1st and 2nd year).

You shouldn't be. DCOM has been doing pretty well in the match for the last few years (especially for a newer school) and I don't see that changing. The board pass rate is solid. Not doing "great" in the AOA match isn't a bad thing. I've spoken to two DCOM MS4's who swung for the fences and applied to Derm and ENT for the AOA match but really wanted to do ACGME IM. We're not UPenn, but last year we got some matches in Facial Plastics, Ortho, Urology, and Opthalm. A few good named places too such as Emory and UAB, and this year I've heard of Harvard and Cornell. But match lists aren't empirical evidence of how good or bad a class is anyway, it's too hard to judge.

Last edited:
The board pass rate couldn't be any better.

Ehhhh not sure I agree with you on that one buddy. There's a reason why the school decided to pay for study materials and set up the boot camp thing for the PE, and that reason is our class haha.

Anyways, that's not the point of this thread. Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ehhhh not sure I agree with you on that one buddy. There's a reason why the school decided to pay for study materials and set up the boot camp thing for the PE, and that reason is our class haha.

Anyways, that's not the point of this thread. Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Interesting, I was told they are >90%. I assume you're an OMS-4? Maybe things have been a little better the past two years. They did just give us more dedicated study time, but I think that was more from complaints rather than performance. But thanks for letting me know, I hope the match went well for you.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just reading too many match horror stories. Plus with the merger, I have no idea how things will work by 2019. I'm obviously not expecting to have a chance at plastics and I have no interest in derm, but I most likely am interested in EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I guess I'm just reading too
many match horror stories. Plus with the merger, I have no idea how things will work by 2019. I'm obviously not expecting to have a chance at plastics and I have no interest in derm, but I most likely am interested in EM.

I honestly think the merger will help make 'bottom of the barrel' AOA residencies more desirable once they get ACGME accreditation. (Assuming they don't close. I think the majority will be fine.) It will force them to get their act together, and having the ACGME's gold standard stamp of approval will go a long way too.

As far as this thread goes, the only reason it's become a troll buffet is because there aren't that many match lists out yet.

In the meantime, what is the difference between a transitional rotating internship, transitional year, and preliminary year?

In the meantime, what is the difference between a transitional rotating internship, transitional year, and preliminary year?

Traditional rotating internship is a DO only thing, you basically spend a year doing rotations in a variety of different fields. It used to be a sort of "right of passage" for DO's before they entered their specialty. In the AOA residency system, you can (to my knowledge) use a TRI as an intern-year before transitioning on to an advanced PGY-2 residency such as Derm, Neuro etc.

Transitional year is a similar thing in the ACGME system. Most transitional years I'm aware of are basically a year of IM. Designed to be used as the required intern year before entering a residency that starts at PGY-2 such as anesthesiology, neurology, PM&R, Radiology, etc.

Preliminary year's are also used occasionally in the place of "transitional year" but basically it's IM or Surgery, and you get worked hard and have nothing guaranteed after PGY-1 (it's a one year program). If you're entering a PGY-2 field such as those mentioned above, this can work out OK, but if you're doing it because you failed to match IM or Surgery, it can be a stop-gap to give yourself another year to try matching again. Most preliminary year's don't ever go anywhere, but if you kill it you could have a shot at snatching someone's spot that was booted from the categorical program during PGY-1 if that were to happen. These prelim's are not something you want to get involved with unless you have no other choice from what I gather because there's a high chance that after the year is over you still have to re-apply for residency again.

ATSU-SOMA

We have a class of people dedicated to primary care (we were the first class to have a health disparities interest group, which was wildly popular), so the majority are doing something primary care oriented.

I posted some of the "name brand's" earlier but here's our breakdown:

Anesthesiology 4
Diagnostic Rad 3
EM 13
FM 40
FM-NMM 2
Gen Surg 6
IM 19
Neurology 1
PM and R 3
NMM-OMT 1
ObGyn 3
Path 1
Peds 9
Psych 4
TY/TRI/PY 3

About half the class still hasn't entered their match into the google-doc so I don't have much more institution information.

No list yet, but there is a Facebook page where ~1/3 of the class has posted their matches. I'm noticing lots of ACGME ortho matches, lots of EM matches @ places like BCM in Houston, UTSW, UTH, JPS, UT-Austin, UTEP. Bunch of other Baylor matches. It's looking pretty good so far. A nice variety of specialties. The mentions so far look pretty comparable to a couple of the TX MD schools who released their lists already.

ATSU-SOMA

We have a class of people dedicated to primary care (we were the first class to have a health disparities interest group, which was wildly popular), so the majority are doing something primary care oriented.

I posted some of the "name brand's" earlier but here's our breakdown:

Anesthesiology 4
Diagnostic Rad 3
EM 13
FM 40
FM-NMM 2
Gen Surg 6
IM 19
Neurology 1
PM and R 3
NMM-OMT 1
ObGyn 3
Path 1
Peds 9
Psych 4
TY/TRI/PY 3

About half the class still hasn't entered their match into the google-doc so I don't have much more institution information.

Can you please post which fields the UC-Irvine, UC-Davis, and UCSF-SF matches are in?

More Facebook posts from DCOM today

IM at Cleveland Clinic ( :bow: ) and UT-Memphis
Peds at LeHigh valley PA

There were a number of DO's I met at my Cleveland Clinic interview both as residents and as interviewees. CCF is pretty DO friendly for IM

is this list self-reported? i know some of the matches at KCUMB, and i do not see them on this list.
This is the "official" list that was sent to us by our dean. Not sure if people that matched into pgy-2 residencies had their specialty included. Not really sure.

I'm interested to find out what is up with the people that did "Traditional rotating internships and transitional year". Maybe they matched a PGY-2 program or maybe they have other special circumstances (pregnant, didn't match what they wanted.. etc). Regardless, congrats to them and I hope our class has an equally good match

The PCOM completed match list won't be out for a week or more (subpar dean of student affairs) but some quick matches off the top of my head:

Cleveland Clinic Anesthesiology
Wake Forest Anesthesiology
UAB Anthesiology
Harvard-South Shore Psyc
Penn State Anesthesiology
Jefferson Anes x 4
VCU Anes x 3
4/4 people going for Urology matched AOA
All but one of the applicants applying ortho matched (around 10 people)- all AOA
Couple med-peds, IM/EM, that sort of thing too

We were a very anesthesiology heavy class with a lot of the smartest people in the class going for that field.

Looks like we're taking over Jefferson and VCU! 10 Ortho matches? Sounds pretty high this year

Rowan som had a em ucsd match last year. Speaking of rowan som, anyone have a match list?

DCOM matches (self reported via a google map we have going). The map is student run so not everyone has responded.

AOA matches:
Internal Medicine - Genesys Regional, Camden Clark Med Ctr, Danville Regional Med Ctr, Lakeland Health, Bay Area Medical Center,
Gen surg - Botsford Hospital, Gensys Regional, Good Samaritan (OR)
Ortho - York Memorial Hospital
Neurosurgery - Doctors Hospital
OBGYN - Botsford Hospital, OSU/OMECO Health Ctr (OK)
Neurology - Botsford Hospital
Emergency Med - Mercy Health System (OH)
EM/IM - St. John Med Center/University Hospitals
Family Practice - Community Westview Hospital, Good Samaritan (OR), Manatee Memorial Hospital, Manchester Memorial Hospital (CT), St Petersburg General (FL)
Peds - Marshall (VA)
Psych - Freeman Hospital
PM&R - Larkin Community Hospital
TRI - Allegiance Health, St. James Franciscan,

ACGME matches
OBGYN - Oklahoma State, Beth Israel Med Ctr (Newark)
Emergency Med - Western Michigan/Stryker, Cornell, Drexel, Rochester
Family Practice - University of South FL, ETSU, Via Christi Hospital, Utah Valley
Internal Medicine - Cleveland Clinic, Georgetown, Univ of Florida, Univ of TN Memphis (3), Baptist Health System, Greenville Health System,
Gen Surg - CAMC Memorial Hospital
Opthalmology - Univ South Carolina/Palmetto Health
Psych - Harvard/Cambridge Health Alliance, MSU/Sparrow
Peds - Univ of TX
Pathology - Univ of TN Knoxville, Univ of FL
PM&R - UAB

Last edited:
Random question: Where is "Doctors Hospital"?

I don't know for sure, like I said this is self-reported data so I just transcribed it here without interpretation. That said, when I Google "Doctors Hospital Neurosurgery Residency," it appears to be in Columbus Ohio...

Last edited:
Alright alright, I edited the list. Keep your panties on.

This is an early look at unpublished, self-reported data. It ain't going to be perfect.

Alright alright, I edited the list. Keep your panties on.

This is an early look at unpublished, self-reported data. It ain't going to be perfect.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to be annoying. I know Harvard has multiple affiliated places, just never heard of residencies mentioned by the name Harvard.

I'm a 4th year at DCOM. Yeah you're right, those official facebook page posts are entirely voluntary and a large portion of our class seems not to be very interested in participating in that

I don't want to get into posting a ton of our matches because frankly I feel like these SDN conversations about who is bottom/mid/upper tier tend to pretty severely miss the point about what residency and the match is actually about. Probably just like any other DO school out there we have some highlight matches (Optho at UNC, EM at Cornell, Psych at Harvard, a handful of decent IM, some Ortho, Neurosurg, etc etc), but also like any other med school we have a ton of community matches and a handful of sad stories as well.

DCOM matches (self reported via a google map we have going). The map is student run so not everyone has responded.

ACGME matches
OBGYN - Oklahoma State, Beth Israel Med Ctr (Newark)
Emergency Med - Western Michigan/Stryker, Cornell, Drexel, Rochester
Family Practice - University of South FL, ETSU, Via Christi Hospital, Utah Valley
Internal Medicine - Cleveland Clinic, Georgetown, Univ of Florida, Univ of TN Memphis (3), Baptist Health System, Greenville Health System,
Gen Surg - CAMC Memorial Hospital
Opthalmology - Univ South Carolina/Palmetto Health
Psych - Harvard/Cambridge Health Alliance, MSU/Sparrow
Peds - Univ of TX
Pathology - Univ of TN Knoxville, Univ of FL
PM&R - UAB

I dont see a match at UNC for Ophthalmology. Important distinction between UNC - a pretty darn solid program and USC/Palmetto Health - which is a program that is chronically on probation and at risk for closing each year. Could someone clear this up, or is this a mixup?

Also, I believe OBGYN at OK State is an AOA residency?