Match lists 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a spambot

Got it, but I also just realized that it's almost word for word the same as my post on page 1 about the RVU EM match at UofUtah

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason there are so few neuro matches per school? Is it because of the preliminary year? Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what is the reason there are so few neuro matches per school? I'm interested in the field but there is only a few every year. Is it because of the preliminary year? Thanks!
Because neuro sucks?
J/k we had a couple neuro matches in my school. It just isn't a hugely popular specialty for some reason. I know everyone who wanted it in my class was able to match though

Reactions: 1 user
Because neuro sucks?
J/k we had a couple neuro matches in my school. It just isn't a hugely popular specialty for some reason. I know everyone who wanted it in my class was able to match though

haha hey! OK great, thanks!

Cant wait to find out why Mass General is actually not that impressive of a match! Trolls....Assemble!!

Anesthesiology isn't that competitive anymore. The gloominess of that forum speaks for itself. One of their concerns is that the ACA will cause an eventual collapse of the private health insurance industry. This would decimate salaries, as government payors reimburse more poorly for anesthesia than any other specialty (apparently).

Yep, and that makes a match at MGH less of a miraculous occurrence. But I don't know if they've ever matched a DO before or not. I tend to be more impressed by the DO's who break into new places than those who match at strong programs that have occasionally matched DO's in the past.

Looking at the current resident roster at MGH anesthesia, I don't see a single DO.

UChicago (Pritzker) is starting to take DO's in their anesthesia program as well. I believe there is a DO (or 2?) currently in the program, a CA-1 starting next year, and a Categorical starting next year as well.

Reactions: 3 users
UChicago (Pritzker) is starting to take DO's in their anesthesia program as well. I believe there is a DO (or 2?) currently in the program, a CA-1 starting next year, and a Categorical starting next year as well.

Oh damn...you're right. CA-3 from KCU.

The one starting CA-1 also from KCU?

it is true though that anesthesiology isn't that competitive anymore. The gloominess of that forum speaks for itself. One of their concerns seems to be that the ACA will cause an eventual collapse of the private health insurance industry. This would decimate salaries, as government payors reimburse more poorly for anesthesia than any other specialty (apparently).
It's the internet, man. There is another speciality that is untouchable on SDN but is actually fine in real life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly any match at MGH is pretty dang impressive.

I myself am always impressed with a Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic match (the HOME site) because they always rank at the top of many specialties in country.

But I will say that IM at Mayo Clinic in MN is extremely competitive and I have yet to see a DO match there....yet. ;)

I myself am always impressed with a Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic match (the HOME site) because they always rank at the top of many specialties in country.

But I will say that IM at Mayo Clinic in MN is extremely competitive and I have yet to see a DO match there....yet. ;)

Listen up guys @AlteredScale the premed is impressed. His -4 months of experience in med school and being 4 years away from the match make him extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy on the subject. As an IM resident I must defer to him.

(stop reading here if you think i'm a troll)

For IM CCF is not a good program despite the fact that you recognize it's name. Mayo is a solid mid tier program in an awful location so they have trouble attracting the types of candidates that end up at similar programs. There are DOs in both programs.

I don't know anything about anesthesia programs therefore will not comment on the MGH match. I wish others on this board would also admit when they are not knowledgeable about a subject rather than just repeating warped versions of what they've read on the Internet. As others have mentioned though US MDs are running very far away from anesthesia making it significantly less competitive than it was just a few years ago.

Listen up guys @AlteredScale the premed is impressed. His -4 months of experience in med school and being 4 years away from the match make him extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy on the subject. As an IM resident I must defer to him.

For IM CCF is not a good program despite the fact that you recognize it's name. Mayo is a solid mid tier program in an awful location so they have trouble attracting the types of candidates that end up at similar programs. There are DOs in both programs.

I don't know anything about anesthesia programs therefore will not comment on the MGH match. I wish others on this board would also admit when they are not knowledgeable about a subject rather than just repeating warped versions of what they've read on the Internet. As others have mentioned though US MDs are running very far away from anesthesia making it significantly less competitive than it was just a few years ago.

Seriously man. Just stop.

Reactions: 4 users

You could be educational without being a douche... Just saying.

Reactions: 4 users

For what it's worth, I always enjoy your input. While it may be polarizing to one direction, it's a nice contrast to those who do the exact opposite. Plus... Ron Swanson.
You had me at meat tornado.

Your opinion on some of the KCOM ACGME matches? Like integrated plastics at mayo and ct surgery? I honestly have no idea as far as what is 'competitive' as far as different programs and specialties go.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, I always enjoy your input. While it may be polarizing to one direction, it's a nice contrast to those who do the exact opposite. Plus... Ron Swanson.
You had me at meat tornado.

Your opinion on some of the KCOM ACGME matches? Like integrated plastics at mayo and ct surgery? I honestly have no idea as far as what is 'competitive' as far as different programs and specialties go.

I appreciate the support.

I have no comment on plastics or CT surgery since they are nowhere near my field. I defer to @SouthernSurgeon (for real this time)

Right, because my personal opinion on being impressed about specific matches obviously means I'm suggesting that those are top tier programs.

For being a resident at a top tier program (I'm assuming) your sarcasm is... mid-tier.

Also there are no DO's at Mayo Clinic's IM program in MN. You can check again yourself.

Right, because my personal opinion on being impressed about specific matches obviously means I'm suggesting that those are top tier programs.

For being a resident at a top tier program (I'm assuming) your sarcasm is... mid-tier.

Also there are no DO's at Mayo Clinic's IM program in MN. You can check again yourself.

I'm not at a top tier program. Does that revelation make my advice/opinion more palatable?

It's hard to tell whether mayo has DOs. They only list about a dozen residents and don't have the full list on their website. They certainly interview DOs though as you can see from the IM match thread (the post under that one is another DO who interviewed there):

School: DO
Step Scores: 250, 266 (667, 680)
Grades: Mostly honors including IM, P in OBGYN
Research: No pubs or posters
AOA: The DO version SSP
Interview Invites:
Minnesota, Mayo Clinic (Rochester), U Colorado, OHSU, CCF
Loyola, SLU, Wake Forest, VCU, UIC, Indiana, U Tennessee, LSU

Rejections: lots: GWU, Dartmouth, UVA, WUSTL, OSU, Yale, Penn, JH Bayview, Utah
Never heard anything: Rush, GWU, Georgetown, WUSTL, OSU, USC, Iowa

Matched (+ # on ROL):
Minnesota! Definitely the program I felt was the best overall fit for me.

Advice
:
You need to be a really well-rounded candidate for the competitive programs, especially as a DO. I heard more from "reach programs" than I thought I would. So apply bravely and broadly. Good step scores matter. I think there are many programs that are completely out of reach as a DO, no matter the strength of your application.

I'm not at a top tier program. Does that revelation make my advice/opinion more palatable?

It's hard to tell whether mayo has DOs. They only list about a dozen residents and don't have the full list on their website. They certainly interview DOs though as you can see from the IM match thread:

I've never discredited your advice. Obviously you have a better understanding of residency programs. You are correct that a good cohort of programs are simply closed off for those who are DO grads.

The way you provide that advice is far from palatable (I'm talking stinky tofu distasteful, apologies to those who enjoy that stuff), but I expect nothing less from a resident.

In regards to the Mayo IM: why is it mid-tier as supposed to top-tier?

I've never discredited your advice. Obviously you have a better understanding of residency programs. You are correct that a good cohort of programs are simply closed off for those who are DO grads.

The way you provide that advice is far from palatable (I'm talking stinky tofu distasteful, apologies to those who enjoy that stuff), but I expect nothing less from a resident.

Because Rochester.

Noone would pay attention if I wasn't a little brash.

"tiers" for residency and fellowship are all about general reputation and opinion. There's no list like the one we all refer to for US MD schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Until I went through the match process, I thought @MeatTornado was a dick. Now I think he offers valuable, sometimes impudent perspective in addition to being a dick. I think he would be more convincing if he sugar coated his message, but that is exactly what he is trying to combat.

Reactions: 5 users
Until I went through the match process, I thought @MeatTornado was a dick. Now I think he offers valuable, sometimes impudent perspective in addition to being a dick. I think he would be more convincing if he sugar coated his message, but that is exactly what he is trying to combat.

We should all thank the good lord for meat tornado, the osteopathic profession would be dead without him validating our small place in medicine. Besides, we all now know that a program cannot be top tier if DOs are there...

P.S. This thread is boring as f*** now

Can we get back to the match lists, please?

Everyone knows DOs don't match as well as similar stat US MDs, no one's refuting it.

Everything is about perspective. Sure, DOs don't match into US MD "top tier IM", but a match at any good academic program that has never taken a DO is top tier to us. I've got a ton of US-IMG friends who are psyched about matching at community IM programs, and that's awesome for them, because they should be excited and they did something a big junk of people don't do. I'm not running up to them telling them they matched at a low/no-tier program when they say how excited they are to match at such a great site. That would universally be a douchie move.

So again, please move on and let's get back to listing match lists. LECOM still hasn't sent anything official, and the student one only has 1/3 of students listed, so I'll hold off. I will say there are a ton of EM matches this year though.

Reactions: 10 users
TouroCOM-NY

MATCH RESULTS 2015
Match Program
Match Hospital Match City Match State

Anesthesiology

U Connecticut School of Medicine Farmington CT
Baystate Medical Center Springfield MA

Dermatology
Rutgers Newark NJ

Diagnostic Radiology
Larkin Community Hospital South Miami FL
Integris Baptist Medical Center Oklahoma City OK
Stony Brook Stony Brook NY
St. Lukes Roosevelt New York NY
Staten Island University Hospital Staten Island NY

Emergency Medicine
NYMC-Metropolitan Hosp Ctr-NY New York NY
St Vincent Mercy Med Ctr-OH Toledo OH
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr-NY Brooklyn NY
Morristown Mem Hosp-NJ Morristown NJ
Newark Beth Israel/ St. Barnabas Newark NJ
St. Barnabas Bronx NY
Orange Regional Medical Center Middletown NY
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Houston TX
Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital Johnstown PA
Rutgers-R W Johnson Medical School-NJ New Brunswick NJ
Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY Bronx NY

Family Medicine
Wilson Memorial Johnson City NY
UPMC ALTOONA Altoona PA
Medisys Health Network Flushing NY
Palisades Medical Center North Bergen NJ
St. John's Episcopal Health Far Rockaway NY
The Medical Center Columbus GA
Medisys Health Network Flushing NY
Eastern VA Medical School Norfolk VA
Inspira Valley Medical Center Vineland NJ
Valley Med Ctr-WA Renton WA
Plainview Hospital Plainview NY
Brown Med Sch/Memorial Hosp-RI Pawtucket RI
In His Image Family Medicine Tulsa OK
AHS Morristown Medical Center Morristown NJ
St. John's Episcopal Far Rockaway NY
Nassau University Medical Center East Meadow NY
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Patchogue NY
Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital Binghampton NY

Family Medicine-Emergency Medicine
Aria Health Philadelphia PA
Aria Health Philadelphia PA

General Surgery
St. John's Episcopal Health Far Rockaway NY
Wyckoff Heights Medical Center Brooklyn NY
Wyckoff Heights Medical Center Brooklyn NY
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital Wyandotte MI
Waterbury Hospital Waterbury CT
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Torrance CA

Internal Medicine
Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY New York NY
Ohio State University Med Ctr Colombus OH
Stony Brook Teach Hospital Stony Brook NY
Stony Brook Teach Hospital Stony Brook NY
Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY New York NY
UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA Fresno CA
Trinitas Regional Medical Center Elizabeth NJ
MedStar Franklin Square Med Ctr-MD Baltimore MD
Woodhull Med Ctr-NY Brooklyn NY
St. Michael's Hospital Newark NJ
Sinai Hospital Baltimore MD
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Valhalla NY
Morristown Mem Hosp-NJ Morristown NJ
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY New York NY
Jersey Shore Univ Med Ctr-NJ Neptune NJ
Seton Hall University South Orange NJ
Southampton Hospital Southampton NY
Larkin Hospital Miami FL
Inspira Medical Center Vieneland Nj
Coney Island Hospital Brooklyn NY
St. Barnabas Hospital Bronx NY
East Liverpool City Hospital East Liverpool OH
Staten Island Univ Hosp-NY Staten Island NY
Palmetto General Hospital Hialeah FL
Cooper University Hospital-NJ Camden NJ
Coney Island Hospital Brooklyn NY
Drexel Univ COM/Hahnemann Univ Hosp-PA Philadelphia PA
Jersey Shore Univ Med Ctr-NJ Neptune NJ
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Westchester NY
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr Chicago IL
Greenwich Hospital-CT Greenwich CT
Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-NY Flushing NY
Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-NY Flushing NY

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr Peoria IL

Neurological Surgery
St. Barnabas Medical Center Livingston NJ

OBGYN
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Mineola NY
Sparrow Hospital-MI Lansing MI

Ophthalmology

Orthopedic Surgery
UTMB - Galveston Galveston TX

Pediatrics
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Valhalla NY
U Arizona Affil Hospitals Tucson AZ
Newark Beth Israel Med Ctr-NJ Newark NJ
Good Samaritan Hospital West Islip NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY
Atlantic Health Sys-NJ Morristown NJ
Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC Washington DC
Baystate Med Ctr-MA Springfield MA
Atlantic Health Sys-NJ Morristown NJ
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Stony Brook NY
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston Galveston TX
U Minnesota Med School Minneapolis MN
Maimonides Medical Center Brooklyn NY

PMR
NYMC-Metropolitan Hospital New York NY
New York University New York NY
Carolinas Rehabilitation Charlotte NC
Sinai Hospital Baltimore MD
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Stony Brook NY
UC Davis Davis CA

Psychiatry
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Great Neck NY
Community Health of South Florida Miami FL
Baystate Med Ctr-MA Springfield MA
Palm Beach Consortium West Palm Beach FL
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY Brooklyn NY
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Great Neck NY
Kennedy University/ Our Lady of Lourdes Stratford NJ
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY Brooklyn NY

Radiation-Oncology
WSU/ Detroit Medical Center Detroit MI

TRI
Wilson Mem Reg Med Ctr/UHS-NY Binghampton NY
Christ Hospital Jersey City NJ
Palisades Medical Center North Bergen NY

Touro CA match list anyone?

I'm not in their class so I don't have the actual list and Touro has yet to release the official one. Here are some highlights as far as I'm aware:

gas at UC Davis
EM at USC+LAC
Lots of FM, including UC Davis
General Surgery at UCI
IM at UCI, OHSU, SCVMC
Neurology at Harbor-UCLA
Lots of ACGME Psych, Peds, and PM&R in California programs and otherwise
Even a Child Neuro match

I'm not in their class so I don't have the actual list and Touro has yet to release the official one. Here are some highlights as far as I'm aware:

gas at UC Davis
EM at USC+LAC
General Surgery at UCI
IM at UCI, OHSU, SCVMC
Neurology at Harbor-UCLA
Even a Child Neuro match

Good to see a lot of these, especially EM at LAC+USC, IM & GenSurg at UCI, etc. I know some people at Harbor too, so that's nice.

Last edited:

gas at UC Davis
EM at USC+LAC
General Surgery at UCI
IM at UCI, OHSU, SCVMC
Neurology at Harbor-UCLA
Even a Child Neuro match
The GS at UCI is impressive and so is the GS match at UCLA-Harbor from TouroNY.

Congrats everyone!

Because Rochester.
Not everyone is going to like Rochester as a city, but there is nothing mid-tier about the IM program at Mayo Rochester. Their board pass rate, publication number, fellowship match, etc. make the program itself certainly top tier, if not one of the best in the country.

Not everyone is going to like Rochester as a city, but there is nothing mid-tier about the IM program at Mayo Rochester. Their board pass rate, publication number, fellowship match, etc. make the program itself certainly top tier, if not one of the best in the country.

I agree that the program at Mayo is very good. My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek but the reality is no one wants to go to Mayo for Rochester, while many equally qualified candidates do want to be in Palo Alto, LA, or NYC (for example). They are geographically disadvantaged and that makes it harder for them to be desirable to the caliber of candidate they want.

What's wrong with Rochester?
Rochester is basically Mayo Clinic, MN. It comprises the majority of it's economy. So there's probably not much else there than Mayo. Close enough to the Twin Cities though.

most patients have heard of mayo and cleveland clinic.. and they're clueless about everything else... most people outside boston prolly think brigham and women's is a place for obgyn

Reactions: 2 users
most patients have heard of mayo and cleveland clinic.. and they're clueless about everything else... most people outside boston prolly think brigham and women's is a place for obgyn

Who cares bro? We're all about prestige around here. I don't care if I matched into a specialty of my choice at a place that will provide me with adequate training to become a physician! I'm more worried about what tier residency I match into. I'm trying to impress you guys on the internet

Reactions: 8 users
Who cares bro? We're all about prestige around here. I don't care if I matched into a specialty of my choice at a place that will provide me with adequate training to become a physician! I'm more worried about what tier residency I match into. I'm trying to impress you guys on the internet
Can I just be a perpetual Prelim-Surgery intern at MGH? It's HAHVAD BRAH.

This attitude would be fine...

If it weren't for the fact that despite all the "tiers don't matter this is so stupid" posts...you still end up with the ...

"Zomg someone matched at MGH!!!!!! DO discrimination is dead!!!! SPLOOSH!!!" Posts.

Make up your minds. Either prestige matters or it doesn't. This forum is obsessed with having their cake and eating it too.

There's truth to both sides though. At the end of the day if somebody matches at their specialty of choice, who cares if somebody else doesn't think it's "top tier", as long as that residency is capable of providing adequate training than it's something that person should be proud of. On the other hand, if a DO somehow managed to match MGH, that's something to be proud of too. I really don't see the point in crapping on other people's accomplishments. Maybe i'm just tired of these types of conversations:

Person 1: "This DO school match X amount of people into ortho!"
Person 2: "Yeah, but their JUST AOA matches"

or this personal favorite

Person 1: "Wow a DO matched at X place which never took a DO before!"
Person 2: "Yeah but that specialty isn't competitive anymore"

In all seriousness, who freaking cares man? Why do some people feel the need to bring down another person's accomplishment? I would congratulate any student that matched into ANY specialty that they wanted to do.

Reactions: 7 users
There's truth to both sides though. At the end of the day if somebody matches at their specialty of choice, who cares if somebody else doesn't think it's "top tier", as long as that residency is capable of providing adequate training than it's something that person should be proud of. On the other hand, if a DO somehow managed to match MGH, that's something to be proud of too. I really don't see the point in crapping on other people's accomplishments. Maybe i'm just tired of these types of conversations:

Person 1: "This DO school match X amount of people into ortho!"
Person 2: "Yeah, but their JUST AOA matches"

or this personal favorite

Person 1: "Wow a DO matched at X place which never took a DO before!"
Person 2: "Yeah but that specialty isn't competitive anymore"

In all seriousness, who freaking cares man? Why do some people feel the need to bring down another person's accomplishment? I would congratulate any student that matched into ANY specialty that they wanted to do.

You make it sound like people come here and post about their personal matches and instead of congratulating them we tear them down. That's clearly not what happens....ever. What is happening is that you and others are claiming some nameless faceless stranger's accomplishment that you don't understand and which is taken completely out of context as your own or as an accomplishment for DO-kind. In that case we are absolutely entitled to talk about this abstract random stranger's match in an honest way and analyze what it means in a broader context. If you don't want an honest opinion from people who have more experience then absolutely feel free to ignore my posts or those by @SouthernSurgeon ....I hear the ignore button also gets the job done really well.

I wonder if Meat Tornado treats MD matches at the Allo forums with the same attitude and posts as he does on the DO side.

Plastics is always super competitive but mayo is middle of the road within plastics.

Doximity has plastics at Mayo ranked as a top 15 program overall and #3 in the midwest (behind UMich and Northwestern). Is that really "middle of the road"?

Noone would pay attention if I wasn't a little brash.

You're a resident who regularly comes to the med forums to post and who generally gives good advice. You also defer to others/don't comment on stuff you don't know, which says you're probably not naturally a know-it-all smartass (or at least not a very big one). Someone in your position doesn't need to be a dick to get people's attention, you seem to chose that persona.

This speaks to a problem for Mayo in general: Their reputation >>> their residency competitiveness.

It's similar for the field I know best (general surgery) - the Mayo program is ranked #11 according to Doximity, and yet it is not close to the most competitive or desired program amongst applicants (in fact it has a lot of FMGs compared to most gen surg residencies).

Living in Rochester Minn is a hard stop for a lot of applicants, so their programs aren't as competitive as other places. There is a good chunk of the applicant pool (even in things like plastics) that won't even apply there.

Just to clarify then, when you say 'mid-tier'/middle of the road are you talking about the quality of the program itself or how hard it is to get into?

Personally, I think I may have a pretty big advantage for some places because I'd rather have my balls cut off before I went somewhere like NY or LA. I'd take Mayo over any residency in those locations any day.

This speaks to a problem for Mayo in general: Their reputation >>> their residency competitiveness.

It's similar for the field I know best (general surgery) - the Mayo program is ranked #11 according to Doximity, and yet it is not close to the most competitive or desired program amongst applicants (in fact it has a lot of FMGs compared to most gen surg residencies).

Living in Rochester Minn is a hard stop for a lot of applicants, so their programs aren't as competitive as other places. There is a good chunk of the applicant pool (even in things like plastics) that won't even apply there.

This makes sense to me. Good training in an undesirable location.

Do you think the mayo programs in AZ and FL are more competitive than the MN ones as a result?