Match Magic: Why we should scrap the NRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amyfaith256

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sharing my article on the NRMP match w/cost analysis on Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...dency-matching-system-for-newly-minted-m-d-s/

I advocate free market with continued "medical school student record embargo" (aka medical school's don't release your records till end of MS3/beginning of MS4). Solves the (historical) early-recruitment and all other criticisms of a free-market either don't reflect the current tight labor market and/or are empirically denied by every other job market, full-attending physician jobs, even medical school applications...

Members don't see this ad.

That article points out flaws with the inherent competitiveness of medical residencies and falsely attributes them to the match. People not matching or scrambling into another specialty isn't because of the Match algorithm but rather because of the competitiveness of medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
@Ronin786 Not blaming the lack of matching entirely on NRMP. Clearly, we need to save GME (and let's redivert the cost of the Match to GME) but the Match exacerbates the process. Remember too that hospitals over interview applicants and also contribute a large part of residency funding at their institution in addition to CMS funding. Interviewing 200 applicants and taking full faculty away from their clinical duties for hours every interview day also incurs major costs (it's not just the donuts and coffee I'm talking about). A more sane procedure (my argument is free market with a continued agreement to not release student records until beginning of MS4) would eliminate that waste in $ and resources, assist in student debt, allow for more educational use of MS4, allow for negotiation of contracts, allow for highly competitive applicants to not "hold" interview offers that could go to less competitive applicants, and also give more autonomy/satisfaction in the process which leads to overall improved doctor satisfaction and subsequently better patient care. Also allows for hospitals to craft their own residency class, retaining both diversity and 'cohesiveness', which for a lot of specialties (more team-based ones) is important for patient care as well.

If residencies were less competitive but still through the match, it wouldn't solve all the issues, and the vice versa is true too. Both need to reform...until Congress can get to and Medicare can stop being the third rail of politics, NRMP is something that PHYSICIANS "own" that should change. ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.