Match notification question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkeyealum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next Monday when they inform applicants whether or not they matched, do they inform you if you matched to an advanced program and a prelim program or will they just say that you matched? I'm guessing the latter unless of course you match to an advanced program but not a prelim program.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you'll only know if you matched. No difference between Advanced+Prelim or Categorical.

• Applicants will learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on Monday of Match Week IF they matched to a program by logging in to the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system with their username and password. Applicants will be presented with one of the following messages:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for applicants who
    • matched to a categorical, primary, or reserved (physician only) program.
    • matched to a PGY-1 preliminary and PGY-2 advanced program.
    2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who
    • matched to a PGY-2 advanced position.
    Applicants who receive this message and who are deemed eligible to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will have access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will be eligible to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®)obtain a preliminary position, if needed.

3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who
    • matched to a PGY-1 preliminary position.
    Applicants who receive this message and who are deemed eligible to enter GME education on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will have access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will be eligible to participate in SOAP to obtain an advanced position, if needed.

4. We are sorry, you did not match to any position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who did not match to any program. For applicants participating as a partner of a couple, this statement also may be displayed if the applicant listed the 999999999 program code on the primary rank order list to indicate ‘”No Match”. Applicants who receive this message and who are deemed eligible to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will have access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will be eligible to participate in SOAP for any category of unfilled positions.

5. You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but did not certify a rank order list prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Applicants who receive this message and who are deemed eligible to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will have access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will be eligible to participate in SOAP for any category of unfilled positions.

6. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in The Match but was withdrawn either by the medical school or by the NRMP. Applicants who are withdrawn because they are ineligible to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will not have access to the List of Unfilled Programs or be allowed to participate in SOAP unless by 5:00 p.m. eastern time on the Wednesday prior to Match Week the applicant becomes eligible to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match. Applicants who were withdrawn by the NRMPbecause they obtained positions through another matching plan will not have access to the List of Unfilled Programs or be allowed to participate in SOAP.

At 1:00 p.m. ET on Friday of Match Week, applicants learn where they matched by logging in to theR3 system.
http://www.nrmp.org/faq-sections/non-u-s-senior-faqs/

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you will know if you matched "partially" on Monday. In my case, I didn't apply to prelim programs as I had an out of match intern year at my home program available to me if I matched advanced. My top program was advanced so I knew I had a decent chance of needing the transition year at my home program, the rest of my ROL was mostly categorical.

On the match Monday, I received an email stating I had "matched into an advanced program but not a PGY1 year." I replied to the NRMP asking if they'd let me know the region I matched into for intern year planning purposes. They replied a few minutes later with the actual city of my program which made it obvious that I had matched to my top program. A quick call to my home PD and they sent the intern contract in the mail. Fortunately I didn't have to do a real scramble.