Match Results 2012 Live!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then more people would be competing for clinical jobs requiring residency. If I had a dollar for every time someone mentioned new schools and the job market in this forum, I bet I could pay a semester's tuition :smuggrin:

what? not a whole year? c'mon your in-state tuition has got to be cheap!

Members don't see this ad.

Scrambling sucks. I've sent out 5 CVs and letters of intent and haven't heard anything yet. One spot already got filled. How long should I expect for a response? When should I start calling?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "less desirable".

Members don't see this ad :)
Unaccredited (though in the match so I guess they are seeking accreditation?), didn't match either of their spots for the second year in a row, resident that I spoke with on the phone didn't say anything specifically negative but didn't seem overly thrilled about the program either.

Unaccredited (though in the match so I guess they are seeking accreditation?), didn't match either of their spots for the second year in a row, resident that I spoke with on the phone didn't say anything specifically negative but didn't seem overly thrilled about the program either.

Is that your only option?

Is that your only option?

No, I am scrambling to a couple of other places right now as well. One of them is a VA, which is probably the best option I have at this point. But no offers as of yet, so I'm just wondering if a "bad" residency is still worth it to gain experience.

And in other news, how the hell did ________ not match 5 of their 6 spots? Match people log in and look, I don't think i can disclose the program on here (not that I would usually care).

One thing I have learned is that match information is in (somewhat) real time, whereas the information in the ASHP directory seems out of date. So it's possible that they have been able to expand their program and that's why there's five spots open. Or maybe they just really didn't match five spots.

No, I am scrambling to a couple of other places right now as well. One of them is a VA, which is probably the best option I have at this point. But no offers as of yet, so I'm just wondering if a "bad" residency is still worth it to gain experience.

When I face a tough choice, I find a point system useful for cutting though the fog.

Try list all the pros and cons of each options you have right now, including the no residency alternative. For each item assign a point value based on the relative weight from the most important vs. least improtant. Sum and compare the total points of each option may just give you the answer you've been looking for.

If I am not hearing back from residency programs and I have tried to call multiple times without an answer is it ok to send a follow-up email. I don't want to be that annoying person but I would like to know if I should be even waiting to hear anything further.

If I am not hearing back from residency programs and I have tried to call multiple times without an answer is it ok to send a follow-up email. I don't want to be that annoying person but I would like to know if I should be even waiting to hear anything further.

You should be aggressive and do everything in your power to get through to these programs, especially if they're not contacting you. What do you have to lose? Just my opinion.

Just heard from a residency I applied to today. They have received over 250 applications and are busy sorting through them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be aggressive and do everything in your power to get through to these programs, especially if they're not contacting you. What do you have to lose? Just my opinion.

Thanks for your thoughts. In my crazy I want a residency mind set I wanted a second opinion.

Difference is....MD students aren't ready (or even legally allowed) to practice without a residency, PharmD students can practice immediately. Residency ceases to become a differentiation factor, it simply becomes just another requirement.

There's probably issues with funding vs. medical residencies but i don't feel like looking things up right now.

That was actually my next suggestion. Make residencies required, then people will stop apping to pharmacy schools for the salary, new schools with low standards will stop cropping up, we can stop diluting the talent pool and make everyone's lives easier. Not to mention keep a competitive salary.

Rxlea- i don't think there's anything that can really be said against the diploma mills and crap match rate :/ I know it's mentioned a lot but i'm sure no one really wants to see pharmacy go the way of law. If residencies were required, and schools were shut down there'd be less competition anyway! I think...

When I face a tough choice, I find a point system useful for cutting though the fog.

Try list all the pros and cons of each options you have right now, including the no residency alternative. For each item assign a point value based on the relative weight from the most important vs. least improtant. Sum and compare the total points of each option may just give you the answer you've been looking for.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I will try that when I find a free moment this weekend.

It is crazy hectic for sites to wade through the applications that are pouring in. then trying to set up interviews. I'm not saying don't be aggressive but you might be adding your email to an in box that is full of apps plus the person's regular email. Work has not stopped for me outside of the match, you know? Don't expect an immediate response. Incidentally, I have been somewhat surprised at the lag in response time to my emails.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I matched to my institutions pediatric PGY2 (we don't early commit). There were some very surprising programs that had to scramble in my area, not sure what to make of it.

has anyone here scrambled successfully and how was the process? only one program has responded so far, only to say they're "sorting things out" and would contact me by the end of the week. it's not looking good :(

I successfully scrambled. Sent out apps to 15+ programs, had a phone interview at my top choice and got an offer 2 minutes after we got off the phone. Also had another phone call from another program offer me their spot but turned it down. I feel very lucky.

I successfully scrambled. Sent out apps to 15+ programs, had a phone interview at my top choice and got an offer 2 minutes after we got off the phone. Also had another phone call from another program offer me their spot but turned it down. I feel very lucky.

Congrats!

What kind of program was it?

Incidentally, I have been somewhat surprised at the lag in response time to my emails.

YES! This is so annoying...we are offering you a spot of only 100 open...if you are really interested you would respond!

YES! This is so annoying...we are offering you a spot of only 100 open...if you are really interested you would respond!

I know right, granted, were these sent during business hours? I know a few students who didn't match and still had to trudge through rotations depending on their preceptor. Responding to email might not be feasible.

But hey, it's the scramble, if you didn't start at 12:01pm you were probably toast to begin with.

We filled our spot, whew! Glad that's done. I have a lot of sympathy for candidates in the scramble, competition was fierce. With so many applications, it was basically first sent, first considered. It was impossible to look at each one. Some things to note: spell the site name correctly. C' mon. I threw those out, if you can't be bothered for that detail, you obviously aren't interested in our site. Don't have any errors in your materials. If my spell check highlights them, so should yours. It shows lack of attention to detail, not a good quality in a pharmacist. You have one chance (and about thirty seconds) to make a good first impression. Too much on a CV and the important stuff gets buried in the noise. We all did a bunch of presentations during rotations, congratulations, now which ones were important? My CV is not seven pages long, you are a student, yours shouldn't be either!

More tips to follow when I'm not on my phone.

I'm really stressed out. It would help so much if you guys can help answer 2 questions:

[1] Now in the scramble, I sent 12 programs CV and letter of intent within the first 1.5 hours. With the little bit of connections/networking I got together--I had three program call me only to say "please send the whole application--transcript, all LOR, etc etc and then we'll call you back with a possible interview" Is this a good sign? The fact that they're asking me to send everything in... is that a sign that they're interested from what they see in the CV or do all scramble sites expect the whole package to be send with the initial email? I had my CV and letter of intent all prepared: How was I supposed to predict which programs would have been in the scramble in order to inform my LOR writers?

[2] In the very very possible case, I will not successfully scramble =(... If I'm able to get a staff position at a large, big named clinical teaching hospital (one of the top 10) that I currently intern at and I work my butt off to shine... will this help me if I reapply next year? If that's the case and you know someone who did this before--who do you ask for LORs in such a situation? What projects can one get involved with w/o rotations, w/o preceptors help?

I'm really stressed out. It would help so much if you guys can help answer 2 questions:

[1] Now in the scramble, I sent 12 programs CV and letter of intent within the first 1.5 hours. With the little bit of connections/networking I got together--I had three program call me only to say "please send the whole application--transcript, all LOR, etc etc and then we'll call you back with a possible interview" Is this a good sign? The fact that they're asking me to send everything in... is that a sign that they're interested from what they see in the CV or do all scramble sites expect the whole package to be send with the initial email? I had my CV and letter of intent all prepared: How was I supposed to predict which programs would have been in the scramble in order to inform my LOR writers?

[2] In the very very possible case, I will not successfully scramble =(... If I'm able to get a staff position at a large, big named clinical teaching hospital (one of the top 10) that I currently intern at and I work my butt off to shine... will this help me if I reapply next year? If that's the case and you know someone who did this before--who do you ask for LORs in such a situation? What projects can one get involved with w/o rotations, w/o preceptors help?

Same boat here! Had it all ready to go only to have them ask for more applicant information.

From what I understood, the scramble process took place over a day. Why do some sites do it over one day and some take longer?

Just looked at the scramble list and saw that St. Joe's in NJ added 2 spots that I believe weren't there when the list just came out. I know one guy that matched with them and it says they have 2 open spots. Did they decide to open more spots just for the scramble? Or is it a mistake? Seems strange, but just letting people know that that's 2 more spots on the scramble list, if they're true spots that actually exist. I talked to them at our regional residency showcase and seems like a good program.

Just looked at the scramble list and saw that St. Joe's in NJ added 2 spots that I believe weren't there when the list just came out. I know one guy that matched with them and it says they have 2 open spots. Did they decide to open more spots just for the scramble? Or is it a mistake? Seems strange, but just letting people know that that's 2 more spots on the scramble list, if they're true spots that actually exist. I talked to them at our regional residency showcase and seems like a good program.

Sounds like a budget issue was resolved or somehow their matched residents withdrew from their offer and thus black balled themselves fo' life!

That was actually my next suggestion. Make residencies required, then people will stop apping to pharmacy schools for the salary, new schools with low standards will stop cropping up, we can stop diluting the talent pool and make everyone's lives easier. Not to mention keep a competitive salary.

I feel like if you're at the top of the talent pool, it won't matter how many people are under you. I suppose the salary part is pretty true though for the retail settings (where anyone with a pulse ..)

Still waiting for responses on the scramble. Applied to 8 sites.

Any way some of you scramblers can post your stats? Especially the lurkers...

The only response I got from my scramble emails was one saying they believe the position is filled.
I guess the job hunt begins. :(
Originally I was telling myself that if I didn't match this year I would try again next year, but I don't know now.I believe this has been asked before but, is it considered a negative if you work for a year and then try again for a residency. Do the programs think negatively of you because you didn't match the previous year?

The only response I got from my scramble emails was one saying they believe the position is filled.
I guess the job hunt begins. :(
Originally I was telling myself that if I didn't match this year I would try again next year, but I don't know now.I believe this has been asked before but, is it considered a negative if you work for a year and then try again for a residency. Do the programs think negatively of you because you didn't match the previous year?

why it's considered a negative? just wondering
although i do see based on the stats, people who graduated prior to 2012 had lower match rate than class of 2012...same happened year before, not sure why...

historically, how long have programs typically taken to fill their unmatched positions?

It depends - there are 2 schools of thought.

1 - scoop up the best candidate you can, quickly, without a thorough vetting

2 - run an entire 2nd interview process and risk losing good candidates but know what you're getting

Not having much luck in the scramble. It seems like I'm just not a good candidate for residency.

Probably should have started job hunting long ago, guess it's time to start now.

Are there any scramble spots in Arizona?

None as of this morning, then again I don't recall seeing any AZ programs when I first logged on to scope out the scramble list.

Looks like North Country Healthcare has an opening for a community residency.

haha...didn't bother looking past the pharmacy practice ones, how many unmatched community pharm residencies were there anyway? i would think a ton.

One approach would have been to talk to your LORs ahead of time and discuss the option of using their letter in a generic form and sending out via e-mail as needed. Especially if a quick turn around is needed, there's not much else you can do since pretty much none of your professors would/should have time to rewrite letters for you on Match Day itself. That said, I understand that you couldn't foresee being asked to send an LOR within hours of the match results coming out... Moving forward, keep your chin up and work until you've exhausted all of your options. Good luck!!

Last edited:
If north country is available still....you should check it out ;)

Is it that good? I've just never been that excited about community pharmacy residencies, so I feel like it would be difficult for me to show passion during an interview.

Is it that good? I've just never been that excited about community pharmacy residencies, so I feel like it would be difficult for me to show passion during an interview.

The people up there are awesome! And flagstaff is a great city. I know some pharmacists up there. One is a very, very good friend of mine. She used to work there and is now at flagstaff hospital..

see what it's about, at least. If it's the community health center, it will be super cool...undeserved patients and that sort of thing...One of the pharmacists there is a PharmD/PA. She does both...on certain days PA and PharmD others.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
Congrats to all successful candidates (you are still successful even if you didn't match). I need your advice. I am a foreign trained Pharmacist. I attended a 5 yr B. Pharm. Program. I was offered an unpaid residency spot in the PGY1 class for this year at an institution in Georgia even though I am not eligible to take the Naplex till August (I am volunteering as an intern). This means that I will have to take a loan to support myself for a year even though I will be working 70 hours a week. I am also aware of the difficulty of foreign trained pharmacists to match. Very few facilities accept RPhs for residency. I would just like to know if indeed the potential rewards can justify the opportunity cost which in this case is 4 months of intern pay and about 5 months of pharmacist remuneration. My mind is almost set on walking away but I just wanted to know what people think.

Hello Guys,
Congrats to all successful candidates (you are still successful even if you didn't match). I need your advice. I am a foreign trained Pharmacist. I attended a 5 yr B. Pharm. Program. I was offered an unpaid residency spot in the PGY1 class for this year at an institution in Georgia even though I am not eligible to take the Naplex till August (I am volunteering as an intern). This means that I will have to take a loan to support myself for a year even though I will be working 70 hours a week. I am also aware of the difficulty of foreign trained pharmacists to match. Very few facilities accept RPhs for residency. I would just like to know if indeed the potential rewards can justify the opportunity cost which in this case is 4 months of intern pay and about 5 months of pharmacist remuneration. My mind is almost set on walking away but I just wanted to know what people think.

this just sounds fishy... unpaid "intern" job working 70hrs/week that's advertised as a PGY1 residency?

Hello Guys,

I may be a little bitter right now from not matching so take this with a grain of salt...if someone wanted me to work 70 hours a week for no pay AND I was going to have to go into debt to do so, I'm pretty sure I would tell them to go screw themselves. I don't really know what all options are out there for foreign pharmacists, but this just sounds like a bad deal all around to me. Sounds like that hospital is going hardcore after slave labor.