match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When schools list an AOA derm match, does that mean that a current graduate of the school who is completing their transitional now year matched derm?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea that's the way I read it but there weren't any Prelim designations in that match list so I wasn't completely sure.

The student that matched mayo-az gen-Surg was a categorical spot.
The other student who matched Urology at mayo-mn was also categorical.
This from a fellow KCOMer

Members don't see this ad :)
The student that matched mayo-az gen-Surg was a categorical spot.
The other student who matched Urology at mayo-mn was also categorical.
This from a fellow KCOMer

thank you for clearing that up. I had a feeling it was categorical.

Integrated Vascular match? :eek: AZCOM impressive as always

It's funny because they made a lot of changes to 2013 curriculum due to some perception that 2012 needed more intervention. I'm very glad our upperclassmen did well, which gives me hope that they may ease up on us next year and possibly for 2014 as well.

Please post UP-KYCOM !!!! Just got accepted and am dying to know where y'all match :)

Any results back for NSU-COM?

The rumor-mill here is notorious for being inaccurate, and I'm tired of relying on it.

The rumor-mill here is notorious for being inaccurate, and I'm tired of relying on it.

I went through the match lists on medicine.nova.edu from 2006-2011 and given the "made on" dates in the properties of the .pdfs (yes, this is how I procrastinate) we won't see for a while in an official capacity. I'm talking as late as June.

pikeville?

hope you have another acceptance.

loled.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news from KCUMB yet? I haven't seen anything but I was hoping a current student had.

Anyone seen Western's yet?

Any news from KCUMB yet? I haven't seen anything but I was hoping a current student had.

It won't be out for awhile im sure. But looks like a lot of good IM, Gas, ER, rads, and OB matches at some pretty well known places(aka ACGME and at university hospitals). Several ortho, a neurosurg, an ent, an optho. Ive heard a 2011 grad matched cleveland clinic derm but not 100% sure. Seems like almost everyone got their #1 choice. Not a very surgical class. Seems like very few people went for competitive specialties rather most people went for moderately competitive specialties at competitive programs.

The google spreadsheet is still being populated. Only 84 students have reported their matches. I'll post when there's a larger sample size. Frankly, it doesn't look that great from what I've seen so far. Not a lot of specialty matches, most of what's been reported falls in the EM/PMR/IM/FM category and most of the primary care reported is from the AOA match. A lot of TRI's, most a result from a failed EM match is my guess. The list might look better once the other 170 people in the class stop being lazy and post where they're going.

You'll have to wait until next year for the face melting matches. My class has several outstanding students and I'm curious to see how we'll do.

It won't be out for awhile im sure. But looks like a lot of good IM, Gas, ER, rads, and OB matches at some pretty well known places(aka ACGME and at university hospitals). Several ortho, a neurosurg, an ent, an optho. Ive heard a 2011 grad matched cleveland clinic derm but not 100% sure. Seems like almost everyone got their #1 choice. Not a very surgical class. Seems like very few people went for competitive specialties rather most people went for moderately competitive specialties at competitive programs.

Thanks for replying. I am looking forward to seeing the whole list. KCUMB seems to do pretty well every year.

I went through the match lists on medicine.nova.edu from 2006-2011 and given the "made on" dates in the properties of the .pdfs (yes, this is how I procrastinate) we won't see for a while in an official capacity. I'm talking as late as June.

Good ol' Nova. They'll have a meeting about the meeting to discuss when they'll meet to compile it I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to see when it comes out!

Good ol' Nova. They'll have a meeting about the meeting to discuss when they'll meet to compile it I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to see when it comes out!

I was at the Clinical Ed department earlier today and they were going through the matchlist, I asked them to take a look, they said it was confidential and first has to go through OPTI, who will then approve it to be posted on the website.

I was at the Clinical Ed department earlier today and they were going through the matchlist, I asked them to take a look, they said it was confidential and first has to go through OPTI, who will then approve it to be posted on the website.

ahh ok. thanks for the info!

You again!

I wonder if they include graduates who didn't match the year before as M4s in their official list.

Did you ever get an answer to this?

That pin is pointed at the exact hospital I'm working at right now. There's a Seattle/Boise Cagegorical Track UW-SOM IM residency program where you spend years 1 and 3 in Seattle and year 2 in Boise. The VA hospital here is the main residency site, but the two other big hospitals in town also allow for rotations.

I can't really tell if there's a difference, but there's a UWSOM-sponsored Boise Internal Medicine residency program, rotating through the exact same hospitals, but it looks like maybe all 3 years are in Boise.

It looks like University of Washington has a lot of these primary-care focused IM programs throughout the NW. I wouldn't call it a community program, though, but it's definitely not academic out here.

I've done some research on the Boise/UW IM track, and I believe that while graduates of the program have gone on to fellowships, it is rare and usually only in Pulm/CC. Interesting program though, and one that I'm considering.

Damn, ok for all you bystanders out there, take a look at TCOMs list vs RVU. Not all DO schools are created equal.

I'm not meaning to hate on RVU bc of its tax status but it's just a prime example of a new DO school.

Looks like RVU swept past TCOM-NY....In fact, RVU match rates are shockingly stellar!

Damn, ok for all you bystanders out there, take a look at TCOMs list vs RVU. Not all DO schools are created equal.

I'm not meaning to hate on RVU bc of its tax status but it's just a prime example of a new DO school.

Did RVU students match? Yes. Are they going to be called Docors? Yes. Are their residencies accredited? Yes. So, after all of the B.S. on this site about how "BIG AND BAD" RVU is....it looks like their students win! So...how does that make you feel "hater in the closet"? I bet you are jealous :)

Looks like RVU swept past TCOM-NY....In fact, RVU match rates are shockingly stellar!

There is TCOM and TUCOM-NY. Clarify.

RVU's match list pales in comparison to TCOM's..that was the point.

Did RVU students match? Yes. Are they going to be called Docors? Yes. Are their residencies accredited? Yes. So, after all of the B.S. on this site about how "BIG AND BAD" RVU is....it looks like their students win! So...how does that make you feel "hater in the closet"? I bet you are jealous :)

Jealous of what? The same can be said of every medical school out there, including the one Zissou attends.

I'm glad RVU grads matched with a high % this year and I'm sure they will make great doctor's and will have happy fairy tale endings to their careers. Your posts are kind of pointless and confusing though.

Thats right! Make them earn the T.

TouroCOM (if that's what you're referring to) had 131/135 students match, so that is a 97% match rate before the scramble.

There is TCOM and TUCOM-NY. Clarify.

Actually there is no TUCOM-NY. It's TouroCOM-NY because we are technically not the same entity as the campuses in nevada and california.

I hope when all the pre-meds through M3's get out into your M4 year, you'll understand that there is a greater dynamic to a good Match than just the name. Big name places are great and all, but if you rotate there and you don't feel a fit; what good is it to match there? You are gonna be a doctor. You will find a job just about anywhere you want, no matter where you do your residency. As far as fellowships go, look at the program's success rate in placing fellows, and then work your arse off to get one. Matching -- and your career as a whole -- is more a function of your effort, than any other factor. You do you, and you'll be fine. And yes, I interviewed at places like USF, Mayo - Jacksonville, and UT - Southwestern. I only ranked 2 places; because during rotations and interviews, they felt right. Luckily, the gods did not smite me for my "arrogance", and blessed me with my #1. My advice is be more worried about what fits for you as opposed to the awesome "name". Good luck to ya!

...You are gonna be a doctor. You will find a job just about anywhere you want, no matter where you do your residency. ...

Isn't it the case, though, that the more established and renowned residencies will provide a student with better training through the "breaking-edge" instruments that can be afforded by those programs?

I'm not saying this is the case, but it's what I have read and it gave me the impression that you need to go to a "big name" residency to have a shot at academic medicine or established private practices. Is that the case?

Isn't it the case, though, that the more established and renowned residencies will provide a student with better training through the "breaking-edge" instruments that can be afforded by those programs?

This sounds like you are talking about surgery. I can not speak to that, as surgery is not my thing. My surgery attendings told me I wasn't "artistic" enough to be a surgeon... I was too "cerebral".

As far as the medical residencies, each college (ACP, AAFP, AAP, etc) has guidelines on what you must be exposed to as a resident. You'll be trained according to those guidelines, no matter where you go. Get boarded, and any where you apply will know that you are a capable doctor. "Breaking edge" in the medical residencies usually involves research, and usually wouldn't be standard of practice for several years wherever you landed for your career anyway.

You need to go to a "big name" residency to have a shot at academic medicine or established private practices. Is that the case?

Academic medicine = need to do a lot of research. You can do research pretty much anywhere. Granted, in some places it will be a lot harder because they don't have the support structure in place. But that's the choice you have to make.

From what I've seen (now, talking with limited exposure, and mostly to practices in the larger cities of the South), established practices want doctors who know what they are doing and who can "sell" the practice. Ultimately, they want another money maker. Show you can earn, and they aren't going to care where you did your residency. The only caveat is they will give the advantage to physicians from the places they have already hired from/worked with.

The point of the previous post was more to show the trap of viewing a list as "impressive" or not based on specialty or location. Residency isn't the end point for many of the physicians on those lists. So how do we know what is impressive? Some people are going to go to that Name program and be miserable. When you see those that hate their life, are you going to say "impressive"? These lists do little more than tell us that students placed into residency. It doesn't say anything about intelligence or capabilities. It really doesn't even say that the school had anything to do with the students' success. Congratulate all those that made it. It's an accomplishment to finish school, and even moreso to have a residency. When you earn your spot, you're going to feel pretty good about yourself... no matter where you are going.

WesternU = impressive

Western match looks pretty impressive - especially for folks who want to remain in California. On another note, it still seems USC IM is limiting entrance of Osteopaths. Regardless, there are great matches to Olive View - UCLA.

This sounds like you are talking about surgery. I can not speak to that, as surgery is not my thing. My surgery attendings told me I wasn't "artistic" enough to be a surgeon... I was too "cerebral".

As far as the medical residencies, each college (ACP, AAFP, AAP, etc) has guidelines on what you must be exposed to as a resident. You'll be trained according to those guidelines, no matter where you go. Get boarded, and any where you apply will know that you are a capable doctor. "Breaking edge" in the medical residencies usually involves research, and usually wouldn't be standard of practice for several years wherever you landed for your career anyway.

Academic medicine = need to do a lot of research. You can do research pretty much anywhere. Granted, in some places it will be a lot harder because they don't have the support structure in place. But that's the choice you have to make.

From what I've seen (now, talking with limited exposure, and mostly to practices in the larger cities of the South), established practices want doctors who know what they are doing and who can "sell" the practice. Ultimately, they want another money maker. Show you can earn, and they aren't going to care where you did your residency. The only caveat is they will give the advantage to physicians from the places they have already hired from/worked with.

The point of the previous post was more to show the trap of viewing a list as "impressive" or not based on specialty or location. Residency isn't the end point for many of the physicians on those lists. So how do we know what is impressive? Some people are going to go to that Name program and be miserable. When you see those that hate their life, are you going to say "impressive"? These lists do little more than tell us that students placed into residency. It doesn't say anything about intelligence or capabilities. It really doesn't even say that the school had anything to do with the students' success. Congratulate all those that made it. It's an accomplishment to finish school, and even moreso to have a residency. When you earn your spot, you're going to feel pretty good about yourself... no matter where you are going.

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarity!

Just FYI and clarity purposes, ACP/AAFP/AAP do not set standards for residencies and in fact none of the specialty colleges have anything to do with residency standards.

Residency standards are set by the ACGME and the respective specialty board (e.g. ABIM/ABFM/etc.) and on the AOA side by the AOA and the respective osteopathic specialty college.

One should definitely go where they are happy because as you mentioned happiness does increase your chance for success. But just because all programs meet the minimum standards doesn't mean they all provide equal education/opportunities. Also the concept of malignancy is very important and often forgotten by medical students.

Is there a difference in quality of education between place that's ranked 50th vs 70th (or 30th vs 60th)? No
Is there a difference in quality of education between a mid-tier university program and a random 200 bed community program? ABSOLUTELY

Congratulations to you and all other matched OMS-IVs as well!

Last edited: