match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any lists from DMU or KCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

any lists from DMU or KCOM?

DMU's is not out yet. We got an e-mail out last week from our dean with some information, but not the list. I'm guessing it'll be out soon. It came out mid-May last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does not being published affect your admissions? Does it depend on whether the program is research heavy or not?

Depends on your other grades and if your specialty cares about papers. For example, for hospitals to be designated as Level 1 trauma centers, they need to publish a certain # of trauma papers/yr (at least in NY). So if you published trauma papers and applying to level 1 trauma center, they will be interested. On the other side is a field like radiology where most of technological research comes from few places. I've heard papers are not as important.

It was announced during that residency answer session with Tina. So it's on tegrity as of now under the residency tab.

Oops meant to quote - this is in response to PCOM Philly's match list.

can anyone be so kind to post the matchlist results for PCOM-PA? Thanks

I'm working on assembling a LECOM-B unofficial one. It's going slowly. Have maybe 20% of responses in...

Members don't see this ad :)
2009 - 30, 2010 - ~20, 2011 - 25

It was a rough match this year, I guess
Most of the AOA residencies are combined internships, the number of people matched to an internship will have to reapply through ERAS for next years match (and most of those people are going for AMA residencies). In my opinion the less people that match to a traditional internship and the more that match to a residency program the better the match, its not a bad thing. I think PCOM had a pretty strong match considering all of the competitive residencies matched into. they matched anesthesia at HUP, 4 into neurosurgery, 2 in Optho, 1 in ENT, etc. those are pretty strong for a D.O school.

PCOM doesn't always have an impressive match list.

Ya i agree. Nothing too impressive for a DO school. 4 anesthesiology at good hospital. IM - Columbia and UCLA-Harbor is pretty good though. 4 neurosurg (AOA though).

Ya i agree. Nothing too impressive for a DO school. 4 anesthesiology at good hospital. IM - Columbia and UCLA-Harbor is pretty good though. 4 neurosurg (AOA though).

I think you guys should be careful reading too much into match lists. For example, in my class, we have a guy who got >270 on his USMLE. Doing DO Emergency Med in a location that worked for his family. It won't look impressive, but that's what he wanted.

I've got 2 close friends, top of the class, USMLE's >230, doing Pediatrics back in their hometowns (at decent MD institutions, but nothing that would make pre-meds go "wow"). Why? They love peds and they love their home.

I myself am doing psych back in MY hometown. A decent place, but again, nothing extremely impressive. Add all this up, and you have a match list that seems kind of "meh."

In reality, almost everyone I know got their #1 choice. THAT's the REAL info you want from a match list. What % of students got their #1, 2, 3, etc choice?

Certainly peruse the match lists. I think they're interesting. But be careful in thinking you can determine how "good" or "bad" a school might be based on where people match, and in what specialty.

Also, a lot of the people doing TY's are often really doing other things. We have a guy in my class listed at TY who is doing DO derm. A bunch of TY's go on to radiology. A few TY's just didn't know what they wanted to do and want more time to figure it out. Also a valid reason. Don't read too much into it.

I'm aware. If you look at the list, no one matched radiology. Begs the questions... was there no interest out of 250+ students? Did no one match but want to?

There's always a few heavy hitters in the list but your jaw never hits the floor. But it doesn't have to. As long as you're happy, who cares?

That's not the Columbia you think it is and UCLA-Harbor isn't a very good IM match. I've never really heard anything great about Temple anesthesia either

That's not the Columbia you think it is and UCLA-Harbor isn't a very good IM match. I've never really heard anything great about Temple anesthesia either

Oh my bad, didnt read much more than "Columbia". Also made the UCLA assumption. I thought the Anesthesia was at UPenn? Dam apparently I cant read lol

I think you guys should be careful reading too much into match lists. For example, in my class, we have a guy who got >270 on his USMLE. Doing DO Emergency Med in a location that worked for his family. It won't look impressive, but that's what he wanted.

I've got 2 close friends, top of the class, USMLE's >230, doing Pediatrics back in their hometowns (at decent MD institutions, but nothing that would make pre-meds go "wow"). Why? They love peds and they love their home.

I myself am doing psych back in MY hometown. A decent place, but again, nothing extremely impressive. Add all this up, and you have a match list that seems kind of "meh."

In reality, almost everyone I know got their #1 choice. THAT's the REAL info you want from a match list. What % of students got their #1, 2, 3, etc choice?

Certainly peruse the match lists. I think they're interesting. But be careful in thinking you can determine how "good" or "bad" a school might be based on where people match, and in what specialty.

Also, a lot of the people doing TY's are often really doing other things. We have a guy in my class listed at TY who is doing DO derm. A bunch of TY's go on to radiology. A few TY's just didn't know what they wanted to do and want more time to figure it out. Also a valid reason. Don't read too much into it.

Oh I agree totally. I try not to assume "increase X number of big name university matches = increase in how good the school is". I know there is reasons and not everyone who ends up in a random county hospital isn't qualified to be at some big university hospital.

Im just a big name university ***** when it comes to matches:laugh:

9 matches in ortho surgery as well as 9 in general surgery is pretty impressive imo.

9 matches in ortho surgery as well as 9 in general surgery is pretty impressive imo.

All Ortho matches are AOA and 5 of the 9 matches are PCOM taking its own students

Eight of the nine Gen Surg matches are AOA and 5 of those are PCOM taking its own students. The only ACGME Gen Surg match is at a community hospital affiliate of UPMC.

Impressive? Not so much.

All Ortho matches are AOA and 5 of the 9 matches are PCOM taking its own students

Eight of the nine Gen Surg matches are AOA and 5 of those are PCOM taking its own students. The only ACGME Gen Surg match is at a community hospital affiliate of UPMC.

Impressive? Not so much.

Again, if every single one of those was their #1 choice, I'd call it VERY impressive.

Not everyone WANTS to go to Hopkins. I didn't even apply. Not because I didn't think I'd get in, but because you couldn't pay me enough to live in Baltimore or work in that atmosphere.

It's probably futile, but again I'll say that you shouldn't assume too much from match lists. Having been through the process I can tell you that matching is an interesting game, and how it turns out is VERY dependent on your personal choices, not so much on your school.

Thanks koennen for clearing that up for me. Is it that AOA surgical residencies are not that extensive as ACGME residencies for training or mainly the fact that PCOM residencies were filled by the PCOM medical students themselves?

Just trying to understand more about the matchlist process since I will be an incoming student at PCOM this fall.

I'm aware. If you look at the list, no one matched radiology. Begs the questions... was there no interest out of 250+ students? Did no one match but want to?

There's always a few heavy hitters in the list but your jaw never hits the floor. But it doesn't have to. As long as you're happy, who cares?
This isn't 100% updated, someone matched radiology.

The reason for those 49 Internships was that a TON of students had to scramble. PCOMs matchlist isn't that impressive. Pretty average for a DO school, with a few amazing matches thrown in out of a class of 260 some odd students. This also makes sense, because 2012 had not done well on the boards at all.

I would say about 50-75 very competitive students. About 100 average and the rest below par.

The reason for those 49 Internships was that a TON of students had to scramble. PCOMs matchlist isn't that impressive. Pretty average for a DO school, with a few amazing matches thrown in out of a class of 260 some odd students. This also makes sense, because 2012 had not done well on the boards at all.

I would say about 50-75 very competitive students. About 100 average and the rest below par.
Maybe if PCOM wasn't so regionally biased, they could get some better students, lol. Let me in, PCOM!

Its not necessarily that. I'm sure its a contributing factor. However, boards performance compared to the other "good" DO schools is poor. There is little to no prep provided besides a terrible course.

It also seems like there's a mantra here of not trying to break out of our comfort zone. We have so many OPTI sites and so many residencies that have a history of taking PCOM students that people don't stray from that. It's almost comfortable to go with what has been done before.

Again, if every single one of those was their #1 choice, I'd call it VERY impressive.

Not everyone WANTS to go to Hopkins. I didn't even apply. Not because I didn't think I'd get in, but because you couldn't pay me enough to live in Baltimore or work in that atmosphere.

It's probably futile, but again I'll say that you shouldn't assume too much from match lists. Having been through the process I can tell you that matching is an interesting game, and how it turns out is VERY dependent on your personal choices, not so much on your school.

I hear you, I have always thought these match list should post % of people who matched in their top three. You can get this data but you have to ask the school. That is the only number that really matters, big name uni matches have the wow factor but don't really mean anything. These lists are neat to look at but realistically have very little valuable info.

I hear you, I have always thought these match list should post % of people who matched in their top three. You can get this data but you have to ask the school. That is the only number that really matters, big name uni matches have the wow factor but don't really mean anything. These lists are neat to look at but realistically have very little valuable info.
Top 3 % is a meaningless statistic as well.
By the time you have created your match list, there has been so much selection (self and various programs), that the chances of matching that are relatively high.

Its after people have settled on their specialty via interest or non competitiveness for other specialties. Then its after they have self selected a portion of programs that they think they want/can match at to apply to. Then its after the programs have decided to interview them that they make their match list of the places.

Is NYCOM considered to have a good match list or is it just due to the shear # in class size?

Impressive? Not so much.

Ortho is hard to get no matter what match you go into. Don't be a hater, be happy for others that they matched. ACGME world is heavily biased in the surgical field, even if you have better numbers they just will not take a DO. AOA or ACGME don't matter at the end of the day both of you will be working side by side. Go where you will be happy, remember residency is long.

Ortho is hard to get no matter what match you go into. Don't be a hater, be happy for others that they matched. ACGME world is heavily biased in the surgical field, even if you have better numbers they just will not take a DO. AOA or ACGME don't matter at the end of the day both of you will be working side by side. Go where you will be happy, remember residency is long.

Not a hater at all. If they're happy, I'm happy for them.

Just pointing out that it is not "impressive" for 5 PCOM grads to match ortho at PCOM. As someone else pointed out above, PCOM has a definite tendency to favor its own grads. There occasionally are impressive matches from DO schools . But 5 PCOM'ers matching ortho at PCOM doesn't fall into that category.

I don't buy into the "at the end of the day AOA v ACGME doesn't matter" line. It may or may not, depending on specialty. I won't be working "side by side" with a graduate of a AOA gas program anytime in my lifetime.

There are other examples, but if I keep going you'll start calling me a hater again.

Not a hater at all. If they're happy, I'm happy for them.

Just pointing out that it is not "impressive" for 5 PCOM grads to match ortho at PCOM. As someone else pointed out above, PCOM has a definite tendency to favor its own grads. There occasionally are impressive matches from DO schools . But 5 PCOM'ers matching ortho at PCOM doesn't fall into that category.

I don't buy into the "at the end of the day AOA v ACGME doesn't matter" line. It may or may not, depending on specialty. I won't be working "side by side" with a graduate of a AOA gas program anytime in my lifetime.

There are other examples, but if I keep going you'll start calling me a hater again.

Carry on with your examples, do not be worried about any hatred.

Carry on with your examples, do not be worried about any hatred.

I'm a resident at a large academic medical center. Name a specialty ... any specialty. I can state with virtual certainty that you will not find a single AOA trained doc in any of them. We have DOs in several specialties, but they're all ACGME trained.

So when desjigga says AOA v. ACGME doesn't matter, because we'll all be working "side by side," I respectfully disagree. I doubt that I'll ever be working "side by side" with an AOA trained doc.

I'm a resident at a large academic medical center. Name a specialty ... any specialty. I can state with virtual certainty that you will not find a single AOA trained doc in any of them. We have DOs in several specialties, but they're all ACGME trained.

So when desjigga says AOA v. ACGME doesn't matter, because we'll all be working "side by side," I respectfully disagree. I doubt that I'll ever be working "side by side" with an AOA trained doc.
I don't think he literally meant that you would be working "side by side". In the end, though, you will be working in the same specialty and making the same amount of money. Yes, there are some things like academia or research that you will be at a disadvantage qualifying for, but only the minority of ACGME grads will be doing that.

Last edited:

I would have to Disagree with you, it COMPLETELY depends on the institution and service. I am a graduating NY medical student who is doing an ACGME EM program in a large academic New York hospital and there a couple of AOA trained EM docs who are attending and from my experience rotating through some of the biggest academic hospitals in NY that was the case as well.

Of course all i speak for is EM because that is what I applied for and Matched in. So there are AOA guys who I met at ACEP who work for all kinds of insitutions academic/community and have lead positions in ACGME accredited programs. Dean Olsen D.O. an AOA trained EM Doc is a senior editor for (ACEP) Annals of Emergency Medicine the premier EM journal.

Also just to show you how wrong you are one of my attending in a trauma rotation who went to an AOA residency and he was not only just an attending he was the director of trauma surgery in Columbia-Presbyterian and taught in there ACGME surgery residency. http://mycrains.crainsnewyork.com/40under40/profiles/2008/dr-maurizio-miglietta (He did is gen surg residency in St. Barnabas in the Bronx which is an AOA program).

I am sure that 10 years ago it was said that a D.O. would never see the inside of Hopkins or NYU, etc. but things have changed....

To say you will NEVER be working side-by-side with AOA trained guys is a very ignorant statement.

Progressively the profession has seen its fair share of naysayers and has overcome...

Good Day.

Last edited:

Here are 3 AOA residency trained physicians who are literally working "side by side" with their ACGME residency trained counterparts at Duke University Healthcare. One as a Neurologist, another as an Orthopedic surgeon, and then one as a family practitioner.

The Neurologist was trained at Botsford.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/melissa_w_quan

The Orthopedic surgeon was trained at a PCOM ortho residency.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/scott_l_buckel

The Family practitioner was trained at UMDNJ-Our Lady of the Lordes.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/tiffany_n_lowe_payne

To say you will NEVER be working side-by-side with AOA trained guys is a very ignorant statement.

Progressively the profession has seen its fair share of naysayers and has overcome...

Good Day.

Of course! Anyone who says anything which might even possibly be construed as negative regarding DOs, DO schools or DO training is "ignorant." That's SDN pre-osteo/osteo forum dogma.

What I said is not ignorant at all. I said that there are no AOA trained physicians at my hospital. That's a fact. Based on my specialty and my intended career path, I also said that I didn't expect that I would ever be working side by side with an AOA trained physician. That is my expectation. I could be wrong. My expectation may change. But, those possibilities notwithstanding, my expectation is not "ignorant."

You are reading animus into my statements which does not exist and cannot be reasonably inferred. Relax, Unbunch your panties. Go read the "Proud to be a DO" thread. Sounds like you need some help with your issues.

I

I believe he was speaking from the position of Anesthesia, for which I would agree, as well as Rads, the AOA programs are of considerably lower reputation. *edit*(Or not, saw that he said ANY specialty so there goes that argument)

EM and Trauma, especially in the NE are especially AOA-friendly when it comes to hiring, though I have heard stories of people coming from AOA EM residency being offered less at the same institution than a person from a nearby ACGME residency, with almost all things similar between the two. I could never validate it, and it may be hearsay but it bears consideration. Additionally, there are still definitely institutions, even within EM that DOs won't set foot in until some people retire.

Here are 3 AOA residency trained physicians who are literally working "side by side" with their ACGME residency trained counterparts at Duke University Healthcare. One as a Neurologist, another as an Orthopedic surgeon, and then one as a family practitioner.

The Neurologist was trained at Botsford.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/melissa_w_quan

The Orthopedic surgeon was trained at a PCOM ortho residency.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/scott_l_buckel

The Family practitioner was trained at UMDNJ-Our Lady of the Lordes.
http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/tiffany_n_lowe_payne

Good for them! But, since I'm not a resident a Duke, that has no relevance to what I said does it?

I believe he was speaking from the position of Anesthesia, for which I would agree, as well as Rads, the AOA programs are of considerably lower reputation. *edit*(Or not, saw that he said ANY specialty so there goes that argument)

I thought you had better reading comprehension skills than butterbeansucks until I saw your edit. I was talking about MY institution. Not Duke, not Columbia-Presbyterian, not Johns Hopkins, or anywhere else. MY institution.

I thought you had better reading comprehension skills than butterbeansucks until I saw your edit. I was talking about MY institution. Not Duke, not Columbia-Presbyterian, not Johns Hopkins, or anywhere else. MY institution.

No issues here... I could care less about D.O. Pride, AOA vs. ACGME whatever. Just pointing out that your use of the word "NEVER" was a bit ignorant and uninformed, and I was well aware that you were referring to anesthesia. There is no disagreement that many if not all of the AOA approved programs that are in competitive services (i.e. anesthesia, radiology, etc.) are poor in many ways.But some of them do produce great doctors however few and far between they are. I do hate generalizations so i had to comment (which i usually do not do on this website). The only reason I read this thread was because I was curious what the match results in other schools looked like.

and "Unbunch your panties" Really? way to keep a mature civil conversation going....

As for your personal attacks, it is not befitting of a medical professional. You might want to fix your attitude a bit doctor.

Last edited:
K, I largely agree with you. I'm basing my comments off of what you said, and I understand your point, though your wording is a bit confusing in that you were stressing at your institution only. I am 100% afraid of the future of my career as an AOA-trained EM. A place at a well-known academic center is definitely a rarity, which is why I'm going to an ACGME residency. I'd love to come back and be PD at an AOA place, but there's no way they're going to allow it.

K, I largely agree with you. I'm basing my comments off of what you said, and I understand your point, though your wording is a bit confusing in that you were stressing at your institution only. I am 100% afraid of the future of my career as an AOA-trained EM. A place at a well-known academic center is definitely a rarity, which is why I'm going to an ACGME residency. I'd love to come back and be PD at an AOA place, but there's no way they're going to allow it.

Have you looked into the following dually accredited AOA/ACGME residencies?

Genesys Regional Med Ctr-Health Park - Emergency Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine
Grand Blanc
MI

EW Sparrow Hospital - Emergency Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine
Lansing
MI

NYCOM/Newark Beth Israel MC/St. Barnabas HS - Emergency Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine
Newark
NJ

PCOM/Lehigh Valley Hosp Health Network - Emergency Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine
Bethlehem
PA

PCOM/Albert Einstein Med Ctr - Emergency Medicine Residency
Emergency Medicine
Philadelphia
PA

Unless you name "my (your) institution" there is no way of looking into that. So you call people out to "Name any specialty, any, bla blub" but give no indication of where you work/do your residency.

Then again, this is not about your "large academic medical center", it's about osteopathic residencies and matches in general. Unless you tell us where you work you should be deemed ignorant and ignored.. it sounds like a DO stole your cookie at some point. If you have such beef with DO's and must insist that you will never be working "side by side" with an AOA trained physician you should at least be able to tell us where, otherwise your posts have as much value as your avatar's dead ear.:laugh:

facepalm.jpg

Not Quite sure what you are afraid of :) Like I said I matched into ACGME EM Residency but would have done a AOA one if location wasnt such a huge factor in choosing where to apply. I have been to many ACEP scientific assembly and the atmosphere is quite DO friendly infact most physician recruiters (IN EM ONLY so there is no confusion) don't care if your ABEM or ABOEM boarded. During one of the ACEP meeting, a doctor from Emergency Medicine Physicians (EMP) a large EM group stated it is probably one of the best times to do EM because of the large number of retiring EM physicians who were initially grandfathered in and 99.9% of these large groups(i.e. EMP) which pretty much corner the market on EM jobs take ABEM or ABOEM cert EM docs.

I am also not niave to think that with AOA you will get whatever EM job posting your little heart desires because your right even in EM which is a relatively young feild there are people who will not allow AOA trained non the less D.O.s into there department but there is such an over abundance of positions available and will become available you will always be able to find a position at a competitive salary.