match thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a thought today. As AOA programs transition to ACGME one by one over the next 5 years starting in July, will they move from the AOA match into the ACGME match?

The reason I ask is, i remember at one of those town hall things hey emailed us, they said only a percentage of DO residencies will keep the "osteopathic focus". That means that a good amount of AOA residencies will be indistinguishable (on paper) from ACGME ones starting in July.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard about PDs from dual-accredited programs pulling out of the AOA match before. The NMS doesn't have an "all-in" policy, so it's very possible for programs that get ACGME accredited to switch.

That said, a PD at a random dual-accredited program basically said that they don't know what's happening, mainly because nothing concrete has been sent out yet, so they are just doing things like they always have (some spots in the AOA match and some in the ACGME one).

Everyone should have a better idea of what's going on come July, but I'd be surprised if a ton of programs changed things for the 2016 match. It's possible, but I imagine only accredited (or maybe pre-accredited programs) could participate in the NRMP match, and since none will even be pre-accredited until July, I don't know how many programs will be able to register in time for the 2016 match (anyone know the program registration deadline?).

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually emailed AOA with this exact question last year, I wish I would have saved the email, but whoever got back to me told me that programs would not switch to the ACGME match right after they got accredited, but they were still working out details. I would be interested to hear a definitive answer on this, because this would really really suck for us if it happens like that.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually emailed AOA with this exact question last year, I wish I would have saved the email, but whoever got back to me told me that programs would not switch to the ACGME match right after they got accredited, but they were still working out details. I would be interested to hear a definitive answer on this, because this would really really suck for us if it happens like that.

Yea exactly. 5 years of students would have to pretty much "wing it" in the match.

I just dont see how they could NOT switch over, unless they went from AOA to dual to ACGME over the process...but thats not what they said was happening.

I also have a hunch that right after MD match day there will be a flood of announcements about all of this.

Your first mistake is assuming there's any plan at all. Prepare for years of bickering, red tape, and rigamarole. Remember, in order for this to be worked out, somebody has to actually do something. That seems harder than...not doing something.

Had a thought today. As AOA programs transition to ACGME one by one over the next 5 years starting in July, will they move from the AOA match into the ACGME match?

The reason I ask is, i remember at one of those town hall things hey emailed us, they said only a percentage of DO residencies will keep the "osteopathic focus". That means that a good amount of AOA residencies will be indistinguishable (on paper) from ACGME ones starting in July.
Supposedly the match will be unified by 2018-2022, depending on how bad the kinks are. I welcome our AOAless overlords.

There is a 20-year relationship between the AOA and NMS, so there is probably a long-term contract, and they're going to have to figure out how to do a divorce and migrate DO folks over to the NRMP. (I understand it shouldn't be technically difficult, since NMS is the supplier of matching software to the NRMP.)

There is a 20-year relationship between the AOA and NMS, so there is probably a long-term contract, and they're going to have to figure out how to do a divorce and migrate DO folks over to the NRMP. (I understand it shouldn't be technically difficult, since NMS is the supplier of matching software to the NRMP.)

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the AOA just continued with a programless NMS match for the next 20 years in order to avoid breaching the contract. There would be no programs in it and no applicants registering, but the AOA could still hold it anyway.

Yea exactly. 5 years of students would have to pretty much "wing it" in the match.

I just dont see how they could NOT switch over, unless they went from AOA to dual to ACGME over the process...but thats not what they said was happening.

I also have a hunch that right after MD match day there will be a flood of announcements about all of this.

Programs keep accreditation (usually) for 5 years. They're not going to lose AOA accreditation just because they become ACGME accredited (unless their 5 years are up during the transition - note that by 2020 all accreditation for all AOA programs would be up).

Yeah its not a great situation for us in the transition. Bottomline is to keep contacting programs you're interested in to make sure things haven't changed.

NMS contracts are something like 5 yrs, right? Either way they have to wait for the contracts to end.

Programs keep accreditation (usually) for 5 years. They're not going to lose AOA accreditation just because they become ACGME accredited (unless their 5 years are up during the transition - note that by 2020 all accreditation for all AOA programs would be up).

Yeah its not a great situation for us in the transition. Bottomline is to keep contacting programs you're interested in to make sure things haven't changed.

NMS contracts are something like 5 yrs, right? Either way they have to wait for the contracts to end.

Aahhhhh i forgot about this. That makes sense

3-5 years seems to be a good guess (I've even heard 7) but people who know the terms are not talking. The ball is in the AOA's court on this item.

Reactions: 1 users