Match Week and rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
5 years? You need to find something better to do. The day i match is the day i delete my username and stop wasting time on here.

gt+be+me+21+year+old+gt+In+_aa91dadaa762950ceca65e080a31c6d6.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
5 years? You need to find something better to do. The day i match is the day i delete my username and stop wasting time on here.

And yet, I'm pretty sure you benefited from the advice and guidance of residents and attendings here who decided NOT to delete their username and "stop wasting time on here" the day they matched.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't get it when long term users decide that at "x" stage they've gotten all they can get from SDN nor consider that they might be of help to those behind them in training.

To go back to this altercation, its clear you both have some issues. I will say this: after 4 years (almost 5) of visiting valuemd and sdn, i have never seen rokshana answer a question or comment on a post without a sarcastic/insulting/condescending flavor to it.

really? really?! you felt the need to come on here and and post for the FIRST time and its to revive something that is completely off topic?

if you find me sarcastic/insulting/condescending…well it probably because the topic is probably hitting a bit too close to home…

and you know if you don't want to see my comments…hit the ignore button…and you won't have to read them…

there is no reason to get back to this "altercation"…its not the topic of the thread….pity that lamnotme got banned before monday now we won't know what her strategy will be for SOAPing...

really? really?! you felt the need to come on here and and post for the FIRST time and its to revive something that is completely off topic?

if you find me sarcastic/insulting/condescending…well it probably because the topic is probably hitting a bit too close to home…

and you know if you don't want to see my comments…hit the ignore button…and you won't have to read them…

there is no reason to get back to this "altercation"…its not the topic of the thread….pity that lamnotme got banned before monday now we won't know what her strategy will be for SOAPing...

It's probably an old Iamnotme username. Don't let it upset you.
(BTW Iamnotme is a girl? Always thought it was a dude... hm)

I don't get it when long term users decide that at "x" stage they've gotten all they can get from SDN nor consider that they might be of help to those behind them in training.

have you read this thread/the majority of these threads? complete and utter nonsense.

Be that as it may, how does that affect the action of sticking around after graduation and posting less nonsensical advice?

Because i use this to see how much other people are freaking. When friday is over...no more freaking...back to real life

Because i use this to see how much other people are freaking. When friday is over...no more freaking...back to real life
You've been a member since 2008; surely you've used SDN for a lot more than observing others "freaking out" since then?

My question was why do long term members fail to stay around and return the advice they've been given over the years; you haven't answered that. While many of your posts have been reveling in the neuroticism here (which I get), many, if not most, are not.

Reactions: 1 user
You've been a member since 2008; surely you've used SDN for a lot more than observing others "freaking out" since then?

My question was why do long term members fail to stay around and return the advice they've been given over the years; you haven't answered that. While many of your posts have been reveling in the neuroticism here (which I get), many, if not most, are not.

I guess I understand what he's saying. I typically only use SDN around major events (applying to med school, step 1, step 2, match day). Will I stick around after I graduate med school? I don't know. But I definitely appreciate the advice from people further along in training than me, and I've tried to be of some help when I can.

My only concern in staying involved in SDN is preserving anonymity. And yes, I know that's item #1 of the TOS but it makes me check myself on some of the stuff I post. I'm intentionally vague about my program's details. I didn't really care about it as much as a student, but now that I'm one of less than 50 people in my residency I certainly do, and when I am a fellow or attending those concerns will only go up I suppose.

I generally don't post much patient related stuff, but everything is discoverable on the internet. We've had a few prior posters on the surgery forum who either changed their handle or dropped off due to being outed IRL.

Law2Doc was totally wrong. Huge sense of relief today after getting the good news. So happy after all those years hoping to be an orthopod that it's actually coming true. Friday will be icing on the cake.

And what better way to celebrate than St. Patrick's Day!

Reactions: 1 users
Law2Doc was totally wrong. Huge sense of relief today after getting the good news. So happy after all those years hoping to be an orthopod that it's actually coming true. Friday will be icing on the cake.

And what better way to celebrate than St. Patrick's Day!

Agree. Getting that email was glorious. I didn't rank any program I wouldn't be happy at, so I know that it's all gravy from here on out.

I didn't take the day off and was in the room with a patient at 12. I had to fight the urge to check my phone while talking to her. Wish I was home celebrating instead!

I agree with L2D, FWIW. I had a strong sense that I was going to match, so I felt a couple minutes of relief after the e-mail, and was very happy for those in my class going into competitive specialties who announced they matched. But, I think I'm going to be far more nervous leading up to Friday, because there are some places I'd rather not go (they're better than not matching, but I'd still far prefer to go to a program in my top 3).

The undergrads are in the streets wearing green and partying it up. I'm tempted to show up at a party, turn off the music, and announce that I matched. Then see who wants to go streaking through the gymnasium.

dont try and pick a fight. thats already been done once on this thread. and dont be a douche either

I agree with DermViser and the others who have said that the monday email was easily the bigger thing than match day. The question of "Did I match?" was a lot more important to me (and all of my current co-residents) than "Where did I match?"

This is obviously not the case for the majority of medical students. But one has to only head on over to the Derm forum right now and see the caliber of students who failed to match to understand the stress involved.

relax. have a good time and dont take hard rotations for fun

I agree with DermViser and the others who have said that the monday email was easily the bigger thing than match day. The question of "Did I match?" was a lot more important to me (and all of my current co-residents) than "Where did I match?"

This is obviously not the case for the majority of medical students. But one has to only head on over to the Derm forum right now and see the caliber of students who failed to match to understand the stress involved.

This was the case for me too. I wasn't concerned too much about where I was going since I liked a lot of the programs I ranked. I mean, if I hated a program, I wouldn't have ranked it.

Turns out Match Monday and Match Friday were one and the same day!

The word "professional" is a word that is thrown out there too frequently, and when that happens, it loses it's true meaning. It's like when people get angry about something and say they are "discriminated" against for one reason or another, when in reality it has nothing to do with that. The reason many times people, and med students in this case, feel they need to make something up, or pretend is because they feel that there is something important, like the match in this case, and that they are going to be confronted with intransigence if they truly say hey i would like the day off. However, while it may not be the appropriate thing to do, it's hardly "unprofessional" to not come in, etc.

Further, most attendings/physicians/nurses/techs, etc are truly "unprofessional" on a daily basis, so let's get off the high horse please.

The true meaning of unprofessionalism has really gone out of whack. Defrauding medicare is unprofessional, being a bad/negligent physician is unprofessional, lying to your patients is unprofessional. Not coming in on Match day - not.

You can blame Dr. Papadakis at UCSF for starting all this crud that now other medical schools are on the bandwagon, bc of her "research".

As an attending or a resident, I would much rather have the students there and doing their job than sitting at home. Check your email and if you didn't match, by all means go and take care of it. If you did match, then you can do your little happy dance and then get back to work. Let's be honest and say that taking the day off to be able to check your status at home all relaxed and in your PJs is a waste of everyone's time. We are hopefully all adults here...

I think you're a waste of everyone's time.

*drops the mic, walks off stage*

In all honesty, how can you not just be cool with your students taking the day off for one of the biggest days in their entire life? Med school is about learning, not about being your medical b*tch. They've worked hard to match and have likely worked hard even if they didn't match. Chill out and let them experience the moment...

Last edited:
In all honesty, how can you not just be cool with your students taking the day off for one of the biggest days in their entire life? Med school is about learning, not about being your medical b*tch. They've worked hard to match and have likely worked hard even if they didn't match. Chill out and let them experience the moment. ... Or just be a douche about it, I guess.
really? it 3 weeks since match day and even longer from the Monday before…some threads are meant to have a limited lifespan…just let it die...

really? it 3 weeks since match day and even longer from the Monday before…some threads are meant to have a limited lifespan…just let it die...

No. I wanted my input... some attendings are and will always remain pathologically uncaring when it comes to leading a normal human life. If they don't get called-out from time-to-time they forget that it's abnormal behavior and fail to recognize their personality disorder.

No. I wanted my input... some attendings are and will always remain pathologically uncaring when it comes to leading a normal human life. If they don't get called-out from time-to-time they forget that it's abnormal behavior and fail to recognize their personality disorder.
You can make your point without calling out another user and referring to them by an offensive term (which is an SDN TOS violation by the way). Please keep your comments civil and refrain from insulting others.

I adjusted my language in deference to the rules. And I don't think s/p adjustments they directly call anyone anything other than my objective assessment...

feel better now?

man, and y'all called L2D a bulldog….that is thoracicguy's opinion…he is allowed to have one…and even voice it…and in the real world one that you will see from older docs (not that i'm calling an older doc TG!) its they way they were trained and it is their philosophy of medicine….there are generational difference…accept it and move on…you don't like it, well when its your turn to have med students, then by all means tell them to take the day off.

just because YOU think the guy should take the day off doesn't mean that those who disagree are wrong…

I think you're a waste of everyone's time.

*drops the mic, walks off stage*
you want your input…well say that…"hey! just wanted to add that I think its ok for the guy to have the day off for what he thinks is a big day" or something like that…that "i think you are a waste of time" doesn't' really add to the discussion.

feel better now?

you want your input…well say that…"hey! just wanted to add that I think its ok for the guy to have the day off for what he thinks is a big day" or something like that…that "i think you are a waste of time" doesn't' really add to the discussion.

The last part was obviously a joke. It was said that

Let's be honest and say that taking the day off to be able to check your status at home all relaxed and in your PJs is a waste of everyone's time

and I said "YOU'RE a waste of everyone's time". Clearly that wasn't a legit insult nor was it a legitimate argument. It was in jest! My word...

The last part was obviously a joke. It was said that

and I said "YOU'RE a waste of everyone's time". Clearly that wasn't a legit insult nor was it a legitimate argument. It was in jest! My word...

It sure seemed more in the lines of an insult than an obvious joke. I never cared about students that needed to take time off for something to do with their schooling or even a personal matter if it was important. Calling in sick to just be able to read your email on Monday that you matched somewhere is not a worthy excuse in my opinion. I would never have thought to do that as a student and I'm sure you didn't ask to have the day off in the military to read your email either. Perhaps in a few years you can look back on things and realize that some of the days that you thought were huge important days weren't all that big of a deal...

I would have been able to take leave if I was at home station. I was deployed when I read the news on Monday of match week. Worked a 13 hr day... But the kicker is the time difference. My day had come to an end which was great -- I was able to call friends and family to share the incredible news. It was a moment I am unlikely to ever forget.

I would have a problem with a student lying about coming in. I agree with you on that. I wouldn't have a problem with a "personal day" request.