Matched last choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am grateful to have matched. I matched my last choice at a place where I could feel the malignancy from miles away and the area is quite dangerous. I am genuinely afraid of my safety going there due to the crime.

I know that I have signed a binding committment, but I realize that an instituition in my home state has a few PGY2 spots available. is it possible to do PGY1 in the place I matched and trasfer next year to a PGY2 spot somewhere else, or could this backfire on me in anyway?

Thanks,
I'm feeling a bit anxious right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am grateful to have matched. I matched my last choice at a place where I could feel the malignancy from miles away and the area is quite dangerous. I am genuinely afraid of my safety going there due to the crime.

I know that I have signed a binding committment, but I realize that an instituition in my home state has a few PGY2 spots available. is it possible to do PGY1 in the place I matched and trasfer next year to a PGY2 spot somewhere else, or could this backfire on me in anyway?

Thanks,
I'm feeling a bit anxious right now.

Depends on the specialty if it's Medicine then maybe. Is this place Detroit?

No its not in Detroit, its in the South.

Memphis?!

I had a group of police officers interrupt my solo- dinner to tell me that it wasn't safe for me to be out walking around (even if it was just across the street back to my hotel) at 10:00 pm- they also scared me with all their talk of gang activity and they were dead serious when telling me to carry a gun if I matched there!! (even offered me lessons) was so scared after that "advice".

Hi,

The area that I have bolded is the only thing you need to know here. Congratulations on matching! Seriously, that's what you need to remind yourself, if you hadn't ranked this program you would have had to go through the SOAP. That being said, future applicants heed this story as a reminder of why you should only ever rank programs you would be willing to attend. Transferring, especially for the reason of "I'm not happy about where I matched" is not likely to be taken well by your PD. Read the match contract and your program's contract very carefully before proceeding/burning bridges.

Reactions: 1 user
OP - this happens every year.

I say this not to dismiss your concerns, but to tell you others have been in your shoes - bitterly disappointed with their match and concerned with their future.

What I recommend you do is take tonight and even tomorrow if you want to feel pissed off and disappointed. You worked hard and there is no shame in being unhappy that you didn't quite reach your goal.

But after that it's time to look forward. Do not spend your time right now obsessed with negative thoughts. Don't focus on trying to transfer or get a match waiver as these things are very unlikely (especially the waiver). Focus on coming in on day one and being the best resident you can be.

Spend some time this weekend identifying some positive things about this city you are moving to. Even when a hospital is in a less-than-ideal location there are still some pockets of good places to live and work. Even Detroit, Memphis, etc, have their bright spots. Even Gary, Indiana, or so I'm told.

The good news is - you have a slot. You are going to get trained. Make the most of this opportunity, even if it was not what you expected.

Reactions: 14 users
Agreed. Just go in the SOAP thread if you want to appreciate what an opportunity it is.

I've lived in a LOT of places. I'm from Chicago. I've lived in Detroit. And a lot of other places not as notorious, but unless you live in an affluent suburb every city w/ a population north of 150k is going to have REALLY sketchy parts. Everyone knows about Johns Hopkins. 10 years ago, geez, it looked like a third world country, w/ Hopkins a shining beacon. It's improved since then.

I've only been to Memphis once. If that's the city in question. And yeah, some parts scared the bejeebus out of me. Even more so than the notorious parts of Chicago. But there are some really nice parts of town. Every where! It just takes a lot of common sense awareness. After awhile, the common sense awareness becomes natural.

Knowing your surroundings. Who is in the surroundings. Thinking where potential dangerous areas are. Not being flashy. So no iPhone out while you are listening to music w/ a fancy purse or backpack swinging in the wind.

In the end, congrats!

OP - this happens every year.

I say this not to dismiss your concerns, but to tell you others have been in your shoes - bitterly disappointed with their match and concerned with their future.

This. My husband matched Ortho over a decade ago. We ended up at a place in the middle of his ROL. We showed up an hour late for the match ceremony b/c we didn't factor in everything is done EST, and opened his envelope in the registrar's office. When we looked at it, we were stunned. Disappointed. Embarrassed even.

He got fantastic training at the place he went. We lived in a great midwestern town and were able to own a home. We made lifelong friends. Where he did his training had zero adverse impact on him getting a good fellowship, or practice opportunities, or an academic position. Very few of his patients even ever ask where he did his training, nor would they be able to assess the quality of that training (or lack thereof).

So, all will work out in the end. Congrats on matching!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks guys. I am just worried about how malignant the program is. The location is not a big issue at this point. I know more about the program's malignant side and I am afraid if this is a place I want to be working for 4 years.

My school is sending me e-mails with positions outside of the match primarily AOA programs however. If I go to the program I matched at and within 45 days, can I leave and look for something outside of the match to resume?

Thanks for any advice

Thanks guys. I am just worried about how malignant the program is. The location is not a big issue at this point. I know more about the program's malignant side and I am afraid if this is a place I want to be working for 4 years.

My school is sending me e-mails with positions outside of the match primarily AOA programs however. If I go to the program I matched at and within 45 days, can I leave and look for something outside of the match to resume?

Thanks for any advice

You see all the posts here from people who didn't match. You are risking everything here for a program that may or may not be malignant in a field you wanted to do. My advice? Don't leave it and go into it thinking you are going to get great training and come out board eligible.

Reactions: 1 users
Just go in the SOAP thread if you want to appreciate what an opportunity it is.
I know this was said already.... but it bears repeating. Give it a shot. It'll all turn out ok.
It's even possible you were wrong about the program....

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give it my all.

I just wanted to be sure though if after 45 days, it turns out to be unbearable from a psychiatric perspective, I have a right to quit.

Thanks

Take a look at neighborhoodscout and other similar website. They are actually quite good at looking at crime rates based on neighborhood. Do you think that your attending physicians are going to live in a ghetto? Heck no. Every city in the country (even the horrible ones) have a decent area...otherwise no affluent people would live there and the city would die.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give it my all.

I just wanted to be sure though if after 45 days, it turns out to be unbearable from a psychiatric perspective, I have a right to quit.

Thanks

Sure, you have a right to quit. It will also likely make it much harder to get a new position in any field. Just keep that in mind. I find that many of the perceived negatives turn out to be not so much of a big deal when you actually get into the job.

Sure, you have a right to quit. It will also likely make it much harder to get a new position in any field. Just keep that in mind. I find that many of the perceived negatives turn out to be not so much of a big deal when you actually get into the job.

I hope that is the case.

The way I understand....OP does not have a right to just quit. It depends on the employment contract. Most contracts are for a period of 1 year. You can't start your residency unless the paperwork is in. Stupid NRMP rules for 45 days don't make any sense to me personally.

Sure you can leave after 45 days, but the institution has a right to take legal action against you and adverse action for not finishing your 1 year commitment. Am I correct?

The way I understand....OP does not have a right to just quit. It depends on the employment contract. Most contracts are for a period of 1 year. You can't start your residency unless the paperwork is in. Stupid NRMP rules for 45 days don't make any sense to me personally.

Sure you can leave after 45 days, but the institution has a right to take legal action against you and adverse action for not finishing your 1 year commitment. Am I correct?

The amount of notice you have to give can vary by contract. None that I know of have ever enforced the all year rule.

I've decided to give it a shot. Not much I can do, but I'm going to go all in. My wife and kids are going to stay back home. While I figure things out.

I just want to get some feedback from someone who knows. Let's say I go into this, and after a couple of weeks, I decide its way too miserable for me, do I have a right to leave after the 45 day period and apply to a new position via the AOA match or even something within the match? Will my current PD now, and make life miserable for me by trying to get me to stay by threatening to ruin my career?

Ideally, I am going to tough it out and at least get a year worth of training out of it. But worst case scenario, I can't see myself working like a dog at 40 years of age especially without my wife.

Would I have to report my 45 days worth of work in future apps?

I've decided to give it a shot. Not much I can do, but I'm going to go all in. My wife and kids are going to stay back home. While I figure things out.

I just want to get some feedback from someone who knows. Let's say I go into this, and after a couple of weeks, I decide its way too miserable for me, do I have a right to leave after the 45 day period and apply to a new position via the AOA match or even something within the match? Will my current PD now, and make life miserable for me by trying to get me to stay by threatening to ruin my career?

Ideally, I am going to tough it out and at least get a year worth of training out of it. But worst case scenario, I can't see myself working like a dog at 40 years of age especially without my wife.

Would I have to report my 45 days worth of work in future apps?

I'm glad you are going to go "all in" and give it your best shot. It may not be the place you envisioned yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't be well trained to become a competent, independent practitioner. Ultimately that's the goal no matter where you do residency.

Leaving after 45 days would mean that you are not a Match violator, so you would be free to pursue open positions/future matches. It does not mean that your PD would be happy with your decision--and I can pretty much guarantee he/she won't be happy to be short a resident and back in recruiting mode 6 weeks into the academic year. Your best bet for a positive reference is to commit to the year, remembering that intern year is going to be tough anywhere.

The ACGME requires a letter from the current PD to the receiving PD stating at the very least competence for level of training and good academic standing. I'm not really sure that it could really say much more than that after 45 days. Whether you leave after 45 days or the first year, don't give the PD a reason to include anything negative in the letter--be on time, be friendly, be prepared, do the work that's expected, etc. Be open to the possibility that you may really enjoy the people you're working with and change your mind about staying.

Yes, you will always have to disclose this program for future matches, licenses, and employment. Conversely, the program will always have to complete verification paperwork on you every time you apply for a license or position. It won't affect you negatively--they just want to account for your time.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm glad you are going to go "all in" and give it your best shot. It may not be the place you envisioned yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't be well trained to become a competent, independent practitioner. Ultimately that's the goal no matter where you do residency.

Leaving after 45 days would mean that you are not a Match violator, so you would be free to pursue open positions/future matches. It does not mean that your PD would be happy with your decision--and I can pretty much guarantee he/she won't be happy to be short a resident and back in recruiting mode 6 weeks into the academic year. Your best bet for a positive reference is to commit to the year, remembering that intern year is going to be tough anywhere.

The ACGME requires a letter from the current PD to the receiving PD stating at the very least competence for level of training and good academic standing. I'm not really sure that it could really say much more than that after 45 days. Whether you leave after 45 days or the first year, don't give the PD a reason to include anything negative in the letter--be on time, be friendly, be prepared, do the work that's expected, etc. Be open to the possibility that you may really enjoy the people you're working with and change your mind about staying.

Yes, you will always have to disclose this program for future matches, licenses, and employment. Conversely, the program will always have to complete verification paperwork on you every time you apply for a license or position. It won't affect you negatively--they just want to account for your time.

Thanks for the tips. Stupid NRMP rules if you ask me---it screws the program moreso than the applicant implementing this ridiculous 45 day rule.

I agree. By leaving your family "back home" you are guaranteeing that 6 weeks in you're going to leave! Just try to get out of it now do you can reapply next year! Don't do this to the program or the patients!

I agree. By leaving your family "back home" you are guaranteeing that 6 weeks in you're going to leave! Just try to get out of it now do you can reapply next year! Don't do this to the program or the patients!

I didn't do this to the program or the patients, the NRMP did.

Trust me though, given how malignant the program is, I won't get much time for my family for the first year anyhow. There is no way to get out of it, if there was I would have tried that. Even if I spend $5000 in attorney fees and reapply, it won't work.

My wife has sacrificed so much for me during medical school, and the kids have a somewhat established life here, I don't want to ruin it.

Trust me though, given how malignant the program is, I won't get much time for my family for the first year anyhow. There is no way to get out of it, if there was I would have tried that. Even if I spend $5000 in attorney fees and reapply, it won't work.

My wife has sacrificed so much for me during medical school, and the kids have a somewhat established life here, I don't want to ruin it.

Why did you even rank the program? I feel like people on here turn into drama king/queens about the match process. Do not rank a program that you would not want to go to.

Reactions: 12 users
Why did you even rank the program? I feel like people on here turn into drama king/queens about the match process. Do not rank a program that you would not want to go to.
Exactly. The NRMP ran a computer program that gives both applicant and program their best choice. It's not the NRMP's fault if someone ranks a program then regrets it, just as it's not the NRMP's fault if a program ends up with the last person on their list.

Reactions: 4 users

Between this and the new thread you just started about the 45 day rule, I suspect that you are saying you're going to go all in and give it a try, but the reality is that you are already one foot out of the door. You matched to a position that was the last one on your list. I suspect that your list was either too short or you were not as strong of a candidate. If you quit 45 days into training, you have to be ready to say that this is the end of medicine for you. You MAY find another job, but you'll be getting some huge red flags when you had some issues with competitiveness the first time around. If this program isn't a good fit, you will need to stay at least through your first year. Your future programs that you apply to will want to have a letter from the PD of this program. If you say adios after a month and a half, you won't get a very good letter from them. Then you'll be posting in the SOAP threads saying you just can't find a position.

Could this program be bad? Sure. It wasn't so bad that you didn't rank it though. You knew going into it that there would be a possibility of you not matching there. My advice? Suck it up, go all in, and give it a good, honest try. You'll probably find that the program isn't so bad and the location isn't so bad. You may even end up liking the place and be glad that you stuck around. In the end, you get to be a trained doctor who is board eligible.

Reactions: 2 users
Your wife sacrificed so much for you to finish medical school and you are going to throw it away? Why should any program trust your word again? They probably won't. They'll move on to the next pretty thing.

And a follow up from my previous post. I saw that you stated you failed a COMLEX test as well as ranking 16 places in psychiatry. I'll narrow down my advice. If you quit this program, you will likely not get another residency program in ACGME or AOA training facilities. You will have your debt from school and a family to support. You have a chance here. A program has decided that you would be a good fit for them based on your interview and application and you felt they were a good enough fit to rank. The chances that you could find a better place after throwing this chance down the drain is slim to none.

Do not leave your training program in 45 days. Do not leave your family back in the other location. You'll be in training for 4 years in this town. You need your family with you. If you leave them there, you will not perform at your best. You will not have even a chance to switch residencies to another location. If you want the best for your family, you need to make the best of your situation. You are not. I worry for your future.

There are people who have done what you did...only they do it for 20 years...they are called military service members. You need to be a leader...and frickin lead dude. Your wife and children will forgive you if you can one day provide stability to their life. At this rate...you are begging to be on the street unemployed. Bring your family with you to your residency...find a decent area of town (which is impossible to NOT do in this country)...and get through residency.

If you are somehow able to transfer into another program...great! But that should absolutely NOT be the plan. The reason is because it takes two to tango. You have to find a program willing to take you and if you indeed matched at your last program...you are likely not as attractive as a candidate that you think you are. You have to ask yourself if being able to suck it up for a few years is worth becoming a board certified physician, versus some random DO working at Walmart.

Between this and the new thread you just started about the 45 day rule, I suspect that you are saying you're going to go all in and give it a try, but the reality is that you are already one foot out of the door. You matched to a position that was the last one on your list. I suspect that your list was either too short or you were not as strong of a candidate. If you quit 45 days into training, you have to be ready to say that this is the end of medicine for you. You MAY find another job, but you'll be getting some huge red flags when you had some issues with competitiveness the first time around. If this program isn't a good fit, you will need to stay at least through your first year. Your future programs that you apply to will want to have a letter from the PD of this program. If you say adios after a month and a half, you won't get a very good letter from them. Then you'll be posting in the SOAP threads saying you just can't find a position.

Could this program be bad? Sure. It wasn't so bad that you didn't rank it though. You knew going into it that there would be a possibility of you not matching there. My advice? Suck it up, go all in, and give it a good, honest try. You'll probably find that the program isn't so bad and the location isn't so bad. You may even end up liking the place and be glad that you stuck around. In the end, you get to be a trained doctor who is board eligible.

I do appreciate your experienced advice. I actually applied to Neurology and Psychiatry, but I decided Psychiatry was a better fit. So technically it was 10 psychiatry interviews and 6 Neurology interviews. I decided not to do the AOA match so I'm not including those interviews, which in hindsight was a poor idea as I see how many programs went unfilled after the AOA match.

I feel that I could have spent more time finding out about this program and I was 50/50 on ranking it but decided to do so when my advisor told me to rank every place I interviewed. the same advisor also told me to forego the DO Match. Clearly, we don't have very seasoned advisors at our school. I had also been getting good feedback from some of the places i interviewed at and got letters saying they would rank me and I was on their list.

It really felt like an FMG sweatshop after I visited the place and they were reluctant to give us personal time with the current residents.

Regarding my wife and kids, I agree that they would be helpful and given the fact that I am getting older, my wife would feel comfortable staying closeby in case I was to suffer any health consequences from this scutwork run place I have matched at. The program was on probation a few years back too. Please be advised that your words of wisdom, are not going on any deaf ears, I am just getting past the denial phase. I am still looking for housing nearby that is safe and that I can afford. It's really tough when you have a pre-teen daughter in the mix too.

I was just wondering though, given how many AOA programs were left after the match, is it hard to scramble into any of them if I were to do the 45 day rule? It seems that we have a unique opportunity at DO programs this year.

I do appreciate your experienced advice. I actually applied to Neurology and Psychiatry, but I decided Psychiatry was a better fit. So technically it was 10 psychiatry interviews and 6 Neurology interviews. I decided not to do the AOA match so I'm not including those interviews, which in hindsight was a poor idea as I see how many programs went unfilled after the AOA match.

I feel that I could have spent more time finding out about this program and I was 50/50 on ranking it but decided to do so when my advisor told me to rank every place I interviewed. the same advisor also told me to forego the DO Match. Clearly, we don't have very seasoned advisors at our school. I had also been getting good feedback from some of the places i interviewed at and got letters saying they would rank me and I was on their list.

It really felt like an FMG sweatshop after I visited the place and they were reluctant to give us personal time with the current residents.

Regarding my wife and kids, I agree that they would be helpful and given the fact that I am getting older, my wife would feel comfortable staying closeby in case I was to suffer any health consequences from this scutwork run place I have matched at. The program was on probation a few years back too. Please be advised that your words of wisdom, are not going on any deaf ears, I am just getting past the denial phase. I am still looking for housing nearby that is safe and that I can afford. It's really tough when you have a pre-teen daughter in the mix too.

I was just wondering though, given how many AOA programs were left after the match, is it hard to scramble into any of them if I were to do the 45 day rule? It seems that we have a unique opportunity at DO programs this year.

Don't be too quick to think AOA programs will leap at the chance to take you in that situation. They will see that you are quick to jump programs, why would they think you'd be someone to take a chance on. With the merger coming in the not so distant future, they may be a bit cautious about taking people that break their match agreement as well.

I get that you are in the denial phase, but I just don't want to see someone make a rash decision and ruin their future. You have a chance that lots of people in the SOAP thread would love to have. Puts things in a bit of a different light when you think about it that way...

Don't be too quick to think AOA programs will leap at the chance to take you in that situation. They will see that you are quick to jump programs, why would they think you'd be someone to take a chance on. With the merger coming in the not so distant future, they may be a bit cautious about taking people that break their match agreement as well.

I get that you are in the denial phase, but I just don't want to see someone make a rash decision and ruin their future. You have a chance that lots of people in the SOAP thread would love to have. Puts things in a bit of a different light when you think about it that way...

It does, thank you for this and for making me realize the negative consequences. I'm doing an FM rotation with an FMG doctor who was advising me to disregard the NRMP match rules, but I'm glad that I've been getting feedback from you and everyone else.

For some specialties, scrambling AOA is usually a feasible option. The AOA historically has very few Psych spots and it looks like all but three programs have filled for this year. You can try switching over later and there may be slots but AOA psych isn't close to AOA FM or TRI in available numbers and I'd caution against it.

No, your advisor gave you great advice. He got you matched as opposed to unmatched. Stop blaming other people for your failure to match into the program you wanted. They obviously didn't think you were worthy of matching into their program or they would have ranked you.
Nobody is going to give you the advice you obviously are looking for. Not one sane person would tell you to leave the program at 45 days with the hopes of scrambling into another spot. You will not get another postition
FMG sweatshop, haha. I guarantee every one of those FMGs were more competitive than you. Good luck during your 45 days. I feel sorry for everyone else in your program

No, your advisor gave you great advice. He got you matched as opposed to unmatched. Stop blaming other people for your failure to match into the program you wanted. They obviously didn't think you were worthy of matching into their program or they would have ranked you.
Nobody is going to give you the advice you obviously are looking for. Not one sane person would tell you to leave the program at 45 days with the hopes of scrambling into another spot. You will not get another postition
FMG sweatshop, haha. I guarantee every one of those FMGs were more competitive than you. Good luck during your 45 days. I feel sorry for everyone else in your program

I'm actually going to sort of disagree with you here. I don't think his advisor gave him the best advice. Yes, he matched and should be grateful but happiness is important too. I'm sure many of those who did not match even after SOAP would take a spot ANYWHERE no matter the reputation of that program, but he should have been told to rank every program UNLESS he would rather go unmatched than go there. If that's how he felt, and would've taken the chance to SOAP then I think the OP may feel better about the outcome.

I know absolutely nothing about the DO match so I don't think I'm qualified to comment but if you could do both matches, why wouldn't you?

I'm actually going to sort of disagree with you here. I don't think his advisor gave him the best advice. Yes, he matched and should be grateful but happiness is important too. I'm sure many of those who did not match even after SOAP would take a spot ANYWHERE no matter the reputation of that program, but he should have been told to rank every program UNLESS he would rather go unmatched than go there. If that's how he felt, and would've taken the chance to SOAP then I think the OP may feel better about the outcome.

I know absolutely nothing about the DO match so I don't think I'm qualified to comment but if you could do both matches, why wouldn't you?

Sheer stupidity, I was getting so many md interviews at good places, statistically most ppl end up in top 8 that's why I didn't give do match a chance.

AOA match is before NRMP, and if you match in AOA you are automatically removed from NRMP.

I'd take 3 years of perceived (and at this point thats all it is as he has no real idea about how he will feel about the program until he starts) unhappiness to be employed, able to pay off debt, and licensed verses 3 years of economic frustration with no future job prospect any day.
OP needs to stop looking at this in terms of a short term inconvenience, and start looking at it as a career.

I'd take 3 years of perceived (and at this point thats all it is as he has no real idea about how he will feel about the program until he starts) unhappiness to be employed, able to pay off debt, and licensed verses 3 years of economic frustration with no future job prospect any day.
OP needs to stop looking at this in terms of a short term inconvenience, and start looking at it as a career.

I know I am trying to look at the bigger picture. I have even started to look for affordable safe housing and my wife is looking for schools in the area. I realize I am to blame by not trying to investigate this program further before putting it on my rank list, there is no doubt about that. I should never have taken things at face value based on what things seemed on interview day.

However, enough of that now, I am going to make the best of this situation and I have started the paperwork to get my license issued.

Reactions: 8 users
What could possibly be so "malignant" about this program? All you've said so far is that it's an FMG sweatshop as if that phrase means something. Do they make you do 48 hour call? Lock you in a room with dangerous patients with no way out? Have time set aside every morning to verbally berate you?

It all just sounds like you're bitter and think that this program is beneath you which, with a COMLEX failure on your record, it isn't.

What?? In this whole mess I completely missed that he had a failure on his record! OP start packing and be thankful!! It will be fine and you'll be able to practice medicine! And that is your ultimate goal, isn't it?

What could possibly be so "malignant" about this program? All you've said so far is that it's an FMG sweatshop as if that phrase means something. Do they make you do 48 hour call? Lock you in a room with dangerous patients with no way out? Have time set aside every morning to verbally berate you?

It all just sounds like you're bitter and think that this program is beneath you which, with a COMLEX failure on your record, it isn't.

While they don't make one do 48 hour calls, they do not provide security during in-patient months as much as other programs do. But again, this all based on my current knowledge, I have yet to go there personally and work there. They do verbally berate you if your english is not good or if you do not agree to see a ridiculous number of patients daily.

What I meant by FMG sweatshop is that most of the people who will be working with me, need a place to sponsor their Visas in order to stay in this country. Meaning that they will be willing to take on as much verbal abuse as necessary, will be willing to tolerate work hour violations, lack of supervision, lack of didactics and tons of ACGME violations as needed

Regarding my COMLEX failure, don't you think that the 15 other programs that interviewed me, should have taken that into account before extending an invitation to me?

I am going to give this place a shot like I already mentioned and I am in the midst of my credentialing paperwork. Like Candbgirl mentioned, my ultimate goal is to be able to practice medicine.

so721; You sound so ungrateful that you at least MATCHED! Maybe you should break your binding agreement and wait a year to enter the DO match? Or just realize this is totally on YOU no one else. There are 100's of unmatched IMGs who would "jump" at your position right now. Be happy you have something... Good Luck Dr B 36 years in practice.

Regarding my COMLEX failure, don't you think that the 15 other programs that interviewed me, should have taken that into account before extending an invitation to me?

Your mistake was thinking that getting interview invites meant that they saw your Step failure, and "forgave" it. I imagine you thought something like, "I got an interview, so I overcame that hurdle!" That's not the case at all. I guarantee it was still in big red letters at the top of your file, and interviews were offered in spite of it to see if what you had to offer could make up for it. After seeing how you interviewed, I guarantee that failure was brought up at rank meetings. It's the type of thing that follows you- two of the scariest words you can say to a program are "academic risk". I know the match is over and done for you (congrats again, you have an awesome opportunity), but maybe this will help somebody else in a similar situation realize that you are NOT given a clean slate at interview. Your entire application is under scrutiny up to the moment the rank list is made.

Reactions: 2 users
While they don't make one do 48 hour calls, they do not provide security during in-patient months as much as other programs do. But again, this all based on my current knowledge, I have yet to go there personally and work there. They do verbally berate you if your english is not good or if you do not agree to see a ridiculous number of patients daily.

What I meant by FMG sweatshop is that most of the people who will be working with me, need a place to sponsor their Visas in order to stay in this country. Meaning that they will be willing to take on as much verbal abuse as necessary, will be willing to tolerate work hour violations, lack of supervision, lack of didactics and tons of ACGME violations as needed

I am going to give this place a shot like I already mentioned and I am in the midst of my credentialing paperwork. Like Candbgirl mentioned, my ultimate goal is to be able to practice medicine.

As a resident you don't have much choice. Even if you are a good candidate if your attending is malignant you just have to take it. I mean you are in Psychiatry so the work load will be no where near surgery levels so I don't see why you are stressing.