matched med-peds - but seriously weak on peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here's my dilemma.

I haven't had a peds rotation in over a year and that was outpatient (3 weeks long)....my last peds inpatient rotation was 1 1/2 years ago (and it was only 2 weeks long). the majority of my 4th year rotations were in adult medicine because I thought I'd be doing just IM.

I matched med-peds but am not sure which i'll be starting with come july (medicine or peds). I feel pretty rusty/weak on peds and feel I should do another rotation as a med student so I don't look like a complete idiot come July. Here's what the rest of my year looks like:

April - MICU
May - can take off, or do any elective. Was thinking of doing Peds ER (15 shifts) or NICU (optional call, no weekends)
June- graduation

what would you do for May? Most people would say relax, but would you still do so given my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
relax. without question relax.
ask me again in an hour...relax.

so here's my dilemma.

I haven't had a peds rotation in over a year and that was outpatient (3 weeks long)....my last peds inpatient rotation was 1 1/2 years ago (and it was only 2 weeks long). the majority of my 4th year rotations were in adult medicine because I thought I'd be doing just IM.

I matched med-peds but am not sure which i'll be starting with come july (medicine or peds). I feel pretty rusty/weak on peds and feel I should do another rotation as a med student so I don't look like a complete idiot come July. Here's what the rest of my year looks like:

April - MICU
May - can take off, or do any elective. Was thinking of doing Peds ER (15 shifts) or NICU (optional call, no weekends)
June- graduation

what would you do for May? Most people would say relax, but would you still do so given my situation?

Take off.

We are all rightly nervous.utHut there are systems in place so that we avoid collasal errors, and staying humble like you are will help prevent the minor errors (bc you'll look up what you need).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing pedi urgent care & it's perfect because I get to see 20+ sick kiddos in a 4 1/2 hr shift--all "bread n butter" cases. I feel like it's really helping me brush but it's def not "needed." We will all have a lot to learn anyway so if you decide to take the time off, don't worry--enjoy it :D