Matching in Canada as a USMD vs. Ireland MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jloyay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year medical student in Ireland and I was a bit conflicted over how Carms treats Canadian USMD's vs. MBBS from Ireland?

On one hand I heard USMDs are placed on the same grouping as Canadian MDs but on the other hand a lot of my friends who are Canadian but are doing USMD are staying in the US and I also heard Irish and USMDs are placed in the same rank.

Is there any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

CMGs and USMGs are in the same first round for CaRMS, just as CMGs and USMGs are in the same round for the US match. Only Canadian citizens/permanent residents can apply for the CaRMS match. Canadians who went to med school abroad (not-USMG) are considered IMGs, and are eligible for second round in CaRMS and the US match. Ireland medical school graduates qualify as IMG.

Many Canadians going to medical school in the US apply to both the Canadian and US match, for more opportunity. Many match to the US instead of Canada. Irish and USMGs are not in the same round for either CaRMS, or the US match.

Last edited:
CMGs and USMGs are in the same first round for CaRMS, just as CMGs and USMGs are in the same round for the US match. Only Canadian citizens/permanent residents can apply for the match. Canadians who went to med school abroad (not-USMG) are considered IMGs, and are eligible for second round in both CaRMS and the US match. Ireland medical school graduates qualify as IMG.

Many Canadians going to medical school in the US apply to both the Canadian and US match, for more opportunity. Many match to the US instead of Canada. Irish and USMGs are not in the same round for either CaRMS, or the US match.

The wording of this is not actually entirely correct, but the principle stands.

In Canada, 88% of the spots are reserved for CMGs, which include Canadian med grads, and USMD grads. So in the CMG round 1, only CMGS/USMDs are eligible for those spots.

IN Parrellel to this CMG round 1, there is an IMG round 1: There are also dedicated IMG spots, not many, that only IMGs can apply to in their round 1 iteration.

Both round 1s run simulatneously. Any leftover spots from the CMG round 1, are then carried over to round 2. Where all the leftover spots from the parrellel round 1s are grouped together. Then it is a free for all, so former CMG only spots, and former IMG only spots are fair game to anyone. There are some restrictions, as for IMGs, if they match to certain spots they are still required to do return of service. This applied to CMGs to, who may match to a few select certain spots in round 2.

In the US, everyone can apply in the same round 1 of NRMP, regardless of USMG/IMG/FMG. however at the program level, many will have implicit or explicit biases against IMGs/FMGs, either by not acccepting them at all or filtering them out. OR by having significantly higher standards/cutoffs.

So to re-iterate, in the US NRMP match, USMDs/DOs, Irish, Indian, whatever, are all in the same round. THERE ARE NO SEGREGATION LIKE THERE IS IN CANADA. HOWEVER, there are implicit and explicit biases at the program level. For example, some programs will not take any IMGs at all, regardless of scores/profile. Some will only provide visas to internationals who studied at USMD/DO schools, and not internationals who studied abroad. ETC ETC.