Matching in to neurology residency as a FMG ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaeed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello..

Is it worth it to do a Master degree in neuroscience/neurobiology and defer applying to neurology residency till 2017 Match??

I am non-US IMG, received my MD degree in 2012. Passed all the USMLE steps from the first attempt, Step1 264/CK 267, 1 Publication, No US clinical experience. I applied for the last Match to IM but didn't matched.
Currently I am doing neurology residency in my home country.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

First, you need to figure out why you didn't match despite your awesome step scores- was it something simple like not sending enough applications, or is it something more difficult like bad grades/evaluations, broken English. If the problem is something basic like a huge red flag from med school or not having a realistic chance of getting a visa then all the resume padding in the world is unlikely to help.

Second, neurology is roughly the same level of competitiveness as IM as a whole, so anything that's a deal breaker last time around will probably also be a deal breaker this time around.

First, you need to figure out why you didn't match despite your awesome step scores- was it something simple like not sending enough applications, or is it something more difficult like bad grades/evaluations, broken English. If the problem is something basic like a huge red flag from med school or not having a realistic chance of getting a visa then all the resume padding in the world is unlikely to help.

Second, neurology is roughly the same level of competitiveness as IM as a whole, so anything that's a deal breaker last time around will probably also be a deal breaker this time around.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I tried to figure that out .. I don't think English was an issue as English was the language of instruction form high school to medical school, I also took the TOEFL IBT and scored 120. Medical school evaluations were all fine with many honors. I sent about 50 applications most of them were university programs and got 5 interviews. I don't know of any problem getting a J1 visa, I applied once for B1/B2 visa to set for the CS exam and there were no delay or problems.

The only thing that I can think of is the lack of US clinical experience and US recommendation letters.