Matching stats confusion: US citizen IMG to US residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maisyeah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm uncertain on the difficulty (or lack of) of a US Citizen IMG matching to US residencies. Seeing on the NRMP site that ~47% of US citizens IMG match to US residencies? But I'm coming across some scarce information (mainly around here and ABP testimonials) of people matching first time and first choice. Can any experienced graduates or current students shed some light on this?

I am specifically interested in Atlantic Bridge. Are there any advantages of specific schools or programs as far as success post-grad and residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm uncertain on the difficulty (or lack of) of a US Citizen IMG matching to US residencies. Seeing on the NRMP site that ~47% of US citizens IMG match to US residencies? But I'm coming across some scarce information (mainly around here and ABP testimonials) of people matching first time and first choice. Can any experienced graduates or current students shed some light on this?

I am specifically interested in Atlantic Bridge. Are there any advantages of specific schools or programs as far as success post-grad and residencies?

There aren't any advantages of specific schools. The main advantage is which school gives you more elective time, which school offers more elective connections. RCSI and UCD tend to have more connections with other US based schools so you can do electives there. But more important is how many electives you can fit into your schedule.

To be honest there really isn't much info on what % of Irish grads will match. If I guess it would be 70% but I believe this number will drop, especially if you want to match to Canada this number will drop dramatically. On a numbers basis i've already estimated it in a previous post but the number of Canadians going abroad is skyrocketing and you will only see the result of that in a few years when the number of applications goes up and the number of seats stays the same. The number of Irish grads is going up dramatically as it is only recently that the ABP has spread rapidly and new Irish schools are opening up and expanding enrolment.

I'll be honest with you and say the stats are meaningless. The sample number is too small every year. Having seen several classes come and go, the answer is the people who are smart and hustle and are realistic consistently match, and the ones who aren't, consistently don't.

The problem, and it is sincerely a problem, is finding out who is who, three years before they even apply to the match. It's a huge gamble.

I'll be honest with you and say the stats are meaningless. The sample number is too small every year. Having seen several classes come and go, the answer is the people who are smart and hustle and are realistic consistently match, and the ones who aren't, consistently don't.

The problem, and it is sincerely a problem, is finding out who is who, three years before they even apply to the match. It's a huge gamble.

I have a feeling that those who post on the forums are usually worried enough about their future to haul ass and are probably the successful matches.