Math/Business to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just discovered this site today, and I would really like some advice.
I am on the verge of graduating from high school in Canada, and have yet to accept a University offer. That is where my dilemma lies. All my life I have aspired to get into Medical School and become a doctor (I'm sure that describes many of you here), and so I thought Life Science was the way to go. But now a totally different program has caught my eye - a Double Degree in Math and Business Admin. at Waterloo University. There is a plethora of opportunities within this program, and I am really enticed to accept. However, that would greatly diminish my chances of Med School. My ideal plan is to finish this Double Degree program with a GPA greater than 3.0, study for MCAT on my own time, take the MCAT, and apply for Med School. But the problem then is that many schools require you to have several prerequisites in the sciences, which translates into a high hurdle for me. What advice do you have for me to maximize my chances of getting into Med School without taking Life Sciences in undergrad (aka the non-traditional way)? Or would you just not recommend I go down this path at all and stick to Life Science?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I am on the verge of graduating from high school in Canada, and have yet to accept a University offer. That is where my dilemma lies. All my life I have aspired to get into Medical School and become a doctor (I'm sure that describes many of you here), and so I thought Life Science was the way to go. But now a totally different program has caught my eye - a Double Degree in Math and Business Admin. at Waterloo University. There is a plethora of opportunities within this program, and I am really enticed to accept. However, that would greatly diminish my chances of Med School. My ideal plan is to finish this Double Degree program with a GPA greater than 3.0, study for MCAT on my own time, take the MCAT, and apply for Med School. But the problem then is that many schools require you to have several prerequisites in the sciences, which translates into a high hurdle for me. What advice do you have for me to maximize my chances of getting into Med School without taking Life Sciences in undergrad (aka the non-traditional way)? Or would you just not recommend I go down this path at all and stick to Life Science?
Thanks in advance!

This does not belong in nontraditional -- nontrads are generally folks who are going to go to med school from other than the traditional "straight out of college" path. Folks who major in other than life sciences and go to med school are not nontraditional students, they are still traditional students. Folks who are coming out of professions, jobs, postbacs, the army, etc are what we (and the med schools) call nontraditional.

Med schools in the US do not care about majors. They merely require you to have taken the prerequisites. So you can be a business or math major, so long as you squeeze in the bio, chem, physics and orgo on the side. Lots of folks have does this. I'd say a good 20% or more of most med schools are folks who majored in non-sciences.

Hello all,
Thanks in advance!

Hey Future Non-trad applicant!
Welcome to SDN. I am going to move this post to pre-allo since you are heading into that phase right now. I invite you to check out the Med Business Forum as you will likely find some fellowship there especially as you finish your Business Degree.

Definitely major in anything that interests you and in which you can do well. (Most of the time, these are the same two entities). Math and Business are fine if you love these subjects. Also head on over to your school or public library and scan a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) which can help you keep the specific requirements of the schools that interest you in mind as you complete your pre-med education.

If you choose to major in Math-Business, then you just need to take your pre-med prereqs at some point (freshman and sophomore year makes the most sense). These are briefly: One year of General Biology with lab; one year of General Chemistry with lab;one year of Organic Chemistry with lab and one year of General Physics with lab. After those scan the specific course requirements of schools that interest which might be things like Genetics, Biochemistry etc. You have plenty of time to get these in if you take your pre-med coursework early in your college career.

It's good to be thinking ahead and making sure that you are well prepared. Enjoy your post-secondary work as you make yourself a strong candidate for medical school. Again welcome!

It is quite simple, really.

1) Go into the double degree program at Waterloo. Handling a double major in Math and Business Administration will be impressive to ADCOMS. This is likely to be even more true by the time YOU graduate from college, as our health care system is likely to be undergoing the initial phases of major financial reconstruction at about that time and the country will be hungry for people with your undergraduate work to enter MD/MBA programs.

2) Most importantly, get all A's. Do I mean "all" A's? Eh, some B+'s and A-'s, okay... but try for all A's. Most (not all, I know) of us applying now wish that we had gone in with the mentality that we weren't going to settle for less than A's... because it's a ruthless process applying for medical school.

You'll be fine. Canada is very competitive, though. Just do well.

Hello all,
Thanks in advance!