Math Major Withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bDNA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted. Info obtained.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would drop it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Background:
Second semester senior
3.34 GPA, sGPA 3.4, math GPA 3.65, slight upward trend
30 MCAT

Currently a Molecular Biology and Mathematics double major
Great recs and extra-curriculars

Will be non-traditional applicant
Taking time before applying working at Teach For America as middle school math teacher

Dilemma:
I am at the crossroads where I am currently deciding whether to withdraw from a math class that would subsequently, drop me from the math major (as I only need one more class and dropping would put me out of the running). I will still graduate with a Molecular Biology major.

I had a family member pass away (not expected) that affected my studying. Had the funeral a day before the exam. I screwed up. Now, I am at the position of realistically, only being able to obtain a C/C+, in the class.

I am leaning towards a withdrawal as I already do not have a stellar GPA and this will affect it greatly (likely to drop to a 3.26 or 3.27) upon graduation. This would also be my first W on my transcript. In addition, my other classes will benefit from me not stressing and investing time into this math class.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Drop it. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, a double major in Math does little in the context of being a future physician. Perhaps you can still make it a minor if you want to obtain at least some recognition for your other classes? At this point, I would cut your losses. Good luck!

Adcoms don't care about majors or minors, just that you do well. You should major in whatever interests and excites you.

Background:
Second semester senior
3.34 GPA, sGPA 3.4, math GPA 3.65, slight upward trend
30 MCAT

Currently a Molecular Biology and Mathematics double major
Great recs and extra-curriculars

Will be non-traditional applicant
Taking time before applying working at Teach For America as middle school math teacher

Dilemma:
I am at the crossroads where I am currently deciding whether to withdraw from a math class that would subsequently, drop me from the math major (as I only need one more class and dropping would put me out of the running). I will still graduate with a Molecular Biology major.

I had a family member pass away (not expected) that affected my studying. Had the funeral a day before the exam. I screwed up. Now, I am at the position of realistically, only being able to obtain a C/C+, in the class.

I am leaning towards a withdrawal as I already do not have a stellar GPA and this will affect it greatly (likely to drop to a 3.26 or 3.27) upon graduation. This would also be my first W on my transcript. In addition, my other classes will benefit from me not stressing and investing time into this math class.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.