math question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnc1521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not received my study books yet but I have a question. I saw on the physical sciences section of the MCAT that it includes math. However, I have ordered Kaplan, exam crackers along with other books and there is no specific math book. They have them for verbal, chem, organic chem, and physics. Will the math be included in these books somewhere (if so where) or is there a specific math prep MCAT book because I have not seen it.

Also, does anyone know what kind of math and how much was on the MCAT?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked, I just could not find it.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for review books other than EK, but the EK Verbal study book includes a few pages on the basic math you'll need for the test. And it IS basic math. I'm talking long division, knowing how to multiply/divide exponentials, basic log functions, etc. Since there is no "math" section on the MCAT, you're just expected to know how to do the math that comes along with the other sections.

Just wait until you get your review books in, they'll make it clear what math you need to be comfortable with.

The math on the MCAT is all basic (high school) math and you shouldn't really have a problem with it if you've taken all the requisite courses. However, there is a certain aspect of learning how to do simple mathematical operations quickly, as it is a timed test. I found the Berkeley Review physics and general chemistry books to be particularly helpful in teaching and reinforcing little tricks that can save precious time on the physical science section. But to get back to your question, no, there isn't a math section in the Kaplan books.