Math Requirements for Medical School Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juicylemon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I changed to pre-med recently, but I'm concerned about math requirements for medical schools. At a lot of schools, calculus is required although most don't say how much, and I was wondering if I meet the requirements. You see the thing is, I got to skip Calculus 1 and 2 at my school because I got a 5 on the AP Calculus AB/BC test during high school. Then after that, I took Calculus 3 and Linear Algebra at a community college, and I got both As in those classes, so I wasn't required to take any calculus at my university, but I took a few stats classes and discrete math classes there. I'm a computer science / biochemistry double major. Should I be taking Calculus 1 and 2 again? I go to UCD and I'm interested in applying to all California medical schools. Will some auto-reject me because I don't meet the requirements? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

No you're fine.

Thanks for the straightforward answer. I talked to a counselor and she told me I should redo it, just in case, but I guess not...

Members don't see this ad :)
I also started with calc 3 in college. I'm not retaking them.

Thanks for the straightforward answer. I talked to a counselor and she told me I should redo it, just in case, but I guess not...
Don't listen to advisers if their advice obviously dosen't make sense. Half of them don't know the difference between medical and dental school. Most med schools will accept any 1 year combination of calc-stat. You have gone way more in depth than most pre-meds so you're 100% fine. Your state med schools probably won't even have math requirements at all.