May 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the deal with the May 15 decision deadline is?

Do we have to have notified the schools prior to May 15 so that they'll know by that date or do we have right up until May 15 to decide and just need a decision postmarked by that day?

As I understand it that's when schools find out what other acceptances you have and when you're no longer allowed to hold multiple acceptances but I don't know the logistics....

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain what the deal with the May 15 decision deadline is?

Do we have to have notified the schools prior to May 15 so that they'll know by that date or do we have right up until May 15 to decide and just need a decision postmarked by that day?

As I understand it that's when schools find out what other acceptances you have and when you're no longer allowed to hold multiple acceptances but I don't know the logistics....

Thank you!

In regards to the school you want to matriculate at, I would take great care to get in your deposit BY may 15th, not postmarked by, since why risk it, ya know?

As far as the others, I think you can just email or call the school and tell them you are withdrawing, and I don't think you have to send a letter. But if you did, it would be a nice courtesy to waitlisted students to have it arrive by May 15th. But if you just postmark by may 15 that's obviously fine too...they can't do anyhing about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not find sufficient clarity when I checked the previous posts. How does the notification work? A phone call, an email, if it must be done in writing, is that postmark date or date notification must be received (it seems to be when notification must be received so actually the decision must be made prior to that date?) Do people generally just call the schools and ask them individually because policies may vary?

Many thanks!

Last edited: