May 15th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain here the May 15th guidelines, or direct me to where this date is discussed on the AAMC website?
I have never heard it detailed out before by an official person. May 15th is just something I've heard applicants talk about. What are the rules? Are they actually enforced, or is it sort of an honor system kind of thing?
Thanks all y'all.
Lolli

Members don't see this ad.

You must withdraw from all but one school by May 15th. It's not an honor system - it's the AAMC policy.

Oh yeah, schools that have waitlisted you get to find out the status of all your other applications/WLs

may 15th is the deadline for all students to choose a school among the many amcas schools they may have been accepted to. if you fail to choose a school by that date, then you forfeit your deposits at other schools and also you might even be dropped by the schools you have been accepted to.

its enforced and its not something you want to test.

Members don't see this ad :)
jlee9531 said:
may 15th is the deadline for all students to choose a school among the many amcas schools they may have been accepted to. if you fail to choose a school by that date, then you forfeit your deposits at other schools and also you might even be dropped by the schools you have been accepted to.

its enforced and its not something you want to test.
So, you choose from one of your acceptances, but do you have to withdraw from waitlists?
Where is this written out? I haven't heard anything about it in acceptance packages - the schools themselves don't mention it. Where are you getting your info from?

I was under the impression that no schools can see the list of places you're waitlisted at??

After May 15 you can only hold one acceptance but you may remain on as many waitlists as you like. As a courtesy to other applicants I think people waitlisted at schools they have no intention of attending should withdraw.

HI,
I know about the MAY 15th deadline, but two schools that I am holding acceptances require you to withdraw before May 1st to get your deposit back. Just out of curiosity is this the policy at most schools? If so, it seems that most people will withdraw from schools by May 1st.

I posted this awhile back, something to keep in mind bc at least to me it isnt exactly obvious:

"I had wondered if you are considered to be holding a spot at a school before you accept, and I found the answer here if anyone is interested...something to be careful of...

May 15 Multiple Acceptance Deadline

The key phrase is, "....to which he or she has been accepted."Applicants often misunderstand this "traffic rule" to mean that they must decide where to enroll by May 15. That is not the case.

*The Nightmare Scenario You Should Take Precautions To Avoid*

You are holding a position in our entering class. You are also holding one or more wait list positions. You decide to go on a fishing trip to the South Pole, or backpacking in Siberia, or someplace where you are inaccessible. While you are gone, one of the schools where you are wait-listed makes you an offer. You don't know that has happened because you're not getting your mail. The school that just made you the offer reports the action to AMCAS, and now you appear as holding at XXXX and holding at the other school (even though you have not responded to their offer, see above).

We send you a request to decline all but one of your acceptances, but you don't receive it and reply because you're inaccessible. So we rescind your position in our class. The other school does not receive your reply before their offer expires, so they rescind you too. You come home from the South Pole to find you have lost your place at both schools.

If you will be inaccessible during portions of the summer, you can avoid this scenario by either withdrawing all of your wait list positions (so that no new offers can possibly arise) or by designating someone (like a parent) to act on your behalf while you are inaccessible."