May 2012 MCAT .. scores/discussion thread .... I hope its not too early :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking the MCAT in May 12?
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread & TBR Scores and discussion thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR/TPRH science workbook passages + EK1001 or any other practice material you are using for the May exam :D.

I am currently working on Biology (Proteins/lipids/Carbs...):sleep: (Using TPRH+EK to review and TBR+EK1001+TPRH Science workbook for practice passages)

Keep this thread alive :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am! It's really weird how you made this today, and how I just happened to look for this today... haha must be a good sign!

May 31st for me here, havent quite started yet, but just received my TBR books in the mail and have been reading and reviewing a little bit of physics.. Verbal is scaring me already and I havent even opened a passage

Members don't see this ad :)
In. May 24th for me. Only started reading some verbal passages for fun. Haven't started on my sciences yet because I'm visiting home this weekend and training for a hospital internship but next Monday will be SN2'ed day 1

Awesome !!! I am following SN2ed schedule too... Modified it a little bit according to LostInStudy+epsilonprodigy+Vihsadas advise ...
Good Luck Everyone ! Dont forget to post your practice scores :)))

Absolutley! My biggest problem was spending too much time on the material and too little on taking tests and doing passages, so this time around I am completing the EK 1001 books and all the BR passages. Also, when you take the test make SURE you do it timed, I also made that mistake test day and boy to I regret it. The AAMC practice tests are VERY representative of the actual MCAT so do all of them before you test if you can. Finally, on test day, dont let anything psych you out-- for example our physics section was KILLER and a girl started crying and got up and left, voiding her exam. Not only did I lose time, but I def. got psyched out which burned me on that section. Happy studying!!!

May 19th here. Not too early. Anyone have a favorite or least favorite section yet? I'm rather partial to Verbal but not too fond of Physical Sciences.

31st here! Using SN2ed schedule also. What I am doing different is listening to the Examkracker Audio Osmosis along w reading the books (SN2ed only uses the EK Bio). I do that before TBR or any others. It's fast and gets the info in my head by auditory and visual means. Then TBR pushes details. We will see how this works when I take my first FL!

May 12th here. You guys are making me feel guilty...I haven't started studying yet. But I'm in Ochem 2 so when I go to class that counts a little...right ;).

anyone taking a Kaplan course? the only one that seems to work for my work and school schedule is 2/20-5/2. what should I be doing from now until 2/20 to prepare? is a 5/2 end date too late to take the 5/12 or 5/19 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone taking a Kaplan course? the only one that seems to work for my work and school schedule is 2/20-5/2. what should I be doing from now until 2/20 to prepare? is a 5/2 end date too late to take the 5/12 or 5/19 MCAT?
If I were you I would get the EK101 VR and start working on that like 3-4 hours a day (+ Work on Bio Physiology because there are a lot of things to memorize there)... Start doing VR passages un-timed for the first week or so and try to figure out the pattern of questions and how they approach the answers (Basically, getting used to the format of VR and starting your own VR strategy and tweaking it as you go)....
I think anytime in May would work but its all up to you and how many CBTs you wanna take (It depends on your target score). If you think you can finish it from the first take then take it anytime in May... If you think you will need more than that then take it late April- Early May so you have time to regroup and restudy your weaknesses
Good Luck !

Absolutley! My biggest problem was spending too much time on the material and too little on taking tests and doing passages, so this time around I am completing the EK 1001 books and all the BR passages. Also, when you take the test make SURE you do it timed, I also made that mistake test day and boy to I regret it. The AAMC practice tests are VERY representative of the actual MCAT so do all of them before you test if you can. Finally, on test day, dont let anything psych you out-- for example our physics section was KILLER and a girl started crying and got up and left, voiding her exam. Not only did I lose time, but I def. got psyched out which burned me on that section. Happy studying!!!
Thanks a lot ! this is very helpful ... Good Luck studying :)

Are you on SN2ed?

I'm doing a modified version because I want to use the textbooks I already have access to instead of buying a new set. Heavy emphasis on practice problems.

This MCAT business is kinda cramping my social life . . . Is everyone studying alone, or does anyone have a study buddy in their area? It will be nice to have some online compatriots.

I'm doing a modified version because I want to use the textbooks I already have access to instead of buying a new set. Heavy emphasis on practice problems.

This MCAT business is kinda cramping my social life . . . Is everyone studying alone, or does anyone have a study buddy in their area? It will be nice to have some online compatriots.

I have a bunch of friends also studying for it, but I think everyone is doing it individually.

The toughest thing for me is the MCAT studying on top of school work.

I think studying alone or with a group is all about personal preference. I know that for myself I prefer to study solo but you may be different. SDN is enough social support for me right now. The way I see it is that this is THE most important test of our lives so far so I can sacrifice 4 months of social life and fun for a lifetime of satisfaction.

May 24th for me. Just finished the SN2 shcedule, now going over all the TBR questions again just to make sure I fully understand them, esp the molecular bio stuff.

Then going through the TPR workbook, every passage, and every EK 1001 problem. Going to be anal this time, lol. Not going to really do much to prepare for verbal since its my best section.

May 24th for me. Just finished the SN2 shcedule, now going over all the TBR questions again just to make sure I fully understand them, esp the molecular bio stuff.

Then going through the TPR workbook, every passage, and every EK 1001 problem. Going to be anal this time, lol. Not going to really do much to prepare for verbal since its my best section.

You make me look really bad. I'm testing the same day as you and you're 3 months ahead of me.

You make me look really bad. I'm testing the same day as you and you're 3 months ahead of me.

Well I never learned anything in pre med classes so I basically taught myself from scratch, lol. Thats why I started so early..the first 3 months was really learning new stuff and the last few will just be reviewing stuff and doing tons of passages..

Well I never learned anything in pre med classes so I basically taught myself from scratch, lol. Thats why I started so early..the first 3 months was really learning new stuff and the last few will just be reviewing stuff and doing tons of passages..

Regardless of what you learned or not in premed classes the bottom line is that you are past the content stage and are at the review stage at this point right now. You're definitely ahead of the game at this point.

May 31st here as well! Using tpr hyperlearning and review books and EK . Really nervous about this exam!!!

You imply that you're a re-taker. What did you make on your previous MCAT? Obviously you learned that the most important aspect of studying is doing and understanding practice problems, but do you have any other advice for us first timers?

You imply that you're a re-taker. What did you make on your previous MCAT? Obviously you learned that the most important aspect of studying is doing and understanding practice problems, but do you have any other advice for us first timers?

Ok heres my story. This may help some people. I was goaded into taking the mcat with my best friend WITHOUT having some of the pre req classes or doing any form of studying at all. He had all the pre reqs already done, I never even took physics at that point or bio, lol. I signed up for a kaplan class but ended up not even using it for anything, didnt go to lectures or do anything it suggested, thought it was boring. At the same time my best friend had stalker ex gf drama so basically we were preoccupied with that. Without doing any studying at all I made a 21 (5/10/6) and the only reason I made a 6 on bio was because I looked for context clues and stuff like that (my friend actually got a 29 with no studying because I swear hes a genius). But honestly, i knew I was screwed after the PS section, so I only really answered (by answered I mean guessed what I thought it could be) the first 26 on the BS section and Christmas treed the rest. So I was really surprised that I still got a 6 on bio and it made me wonder how they scaled the test...HERES WHAT I LEARNED..Ill break it down for each section...

PS: Mine was 60/40 in favor of physics. Literally all the physics was physics 2. Lots of magnetism circuits optics stuff like that. I dont think there was any physics one stuff. I was shocked to see a few easy discreets on periodic trends too..ones that I got wrong because I didnt study. In hindsight, my PS section wasnt that bad and actually kinda straightforward if I had studied...

VR: To me this wasnt bad at all. i felt like I nailed most of the passages except one. One completely confused me about butterflys so that held me back some...But other than that I didnt think this section was near as bad as its rep.

BS: There were like 5 questions from organic chem, all straight forward. The rest was bio...The only physiology on it was like 1-2 discreets that werent bad. However..The passages were insane. I thought I was reading another language. Thats when I learned why it's important to have a good grasp on biology; not so you can ace the questions necessarily, but so you can understand what the passage is saying. My bio was completely genetics and molecular type questions and believe me they made it challenging.

In hindsight if I studied theres no telling what I would have gotten honestly.

You know you've started studying for the MCAT when your mind wanders to enthalpy of vaporization while blow drying your hair.

Are any of you applying this cycle? I'm signed up for April 5th but may switch to May 12th because I just took AAMC 3 and got a 26. I want enough time to get a 33+. We can submit AMCAS on June 1st, and they send updated MCAT scores to our schools right? I just don't want it to be out too late..

EDIT: Aaaand I switched to May 12th. Spots were filling up like crazy so I just went ahead and did it. I really think this extra month will help a lot. :)

Last edited:
Are any of you applying this cycle? I'm signed up for April 5th but may switch to May 12th because I just took AAMC 3 and got a 26. I want enough time to get a 33+. We can submit AMCAS on June 1st, and they send updated MCAT scores to our schools right? I just don't want it to be out too late..

EDIT: Aaaand I switched to May 12th. Spots were filling up like crazy so I just went ahead and did it. I really think this extra month will help a lot. :)

I am applying this cycle too.

From what I'm told, you can submit your primary application on June 1 (first day) so that you're transcript can be verified. Apparently verification is usually completed around the middle of June, the same time as your MCAT score will come in. At that point the primary application will be fully complete and verified.

I am applying this cycle too.

From what I'm told, you can submit your primary application on June 1 (first day) so that you're transcript can be verified. Apparently verification is usually completed around the middle of June, the same time as your MCAT score will come in. At that point the primary application will be fully complete and verified.

In applying this cycle too. I think a lot of us are. geauxtime is right that you can and should submit your primary as soon as you can, before we get your MCAT scores back in our situation, and allow time for transcripts and such to be verified while the MCAT score comes in.

I'm also taking it may 24!!! I am starting the kaplan course february 7. Is it bad that I am now starting to study? I see some people on here have already done content review..

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I'm also taking it may 24!!! I am starting the kaplan course february 7. Is it bad that I am now starting to study? I see some people on here have already done content review..

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

It all depends on yur baseline starting point. If you have a good understanding of the content from your pre-reqs you won't need as much study time as someone who has been out of school for a while. Either way you still have nearly 4 months which is plenty of time but START NOW!!!

I am also taking the test on May 24th. non-trad with no chem background. I took first-year bio and physics over 15 years ago. Started with Chem for Dummies and TPR Chem - about to start TBR. For Physics EK is going really well. So far the balance with a full-time job is working but at this stage it is really hard to evaluate where I stand. I might be ill because it is actually kind of fun to go back to being a student like this...

Taking May 12th ...

Not following SN2ed's schedule ... Ordering my BR books this weekend :smack: ...

Hopefully I can get them my March and study like hell till May. For now, I'll probably just read over my Princeton Review book I have. After this weekend's Super Bowl of course. :whistle:

I am actually taking mine on 4/28 and started studying 10 days ago, doing SN2ed's schedule, modified so I review 4 chapters (1 of each topic) on review day instead of 5 chapters (I find that to be too much material in one day!). Anyway, I'm only on chapter 2s now and obviously still have a long way to go.

Is anyone else feeling really really slow when doing the BR problems?

I hope that this is normal and I will speed up once I get more content review under my belt because I am really concerned for time...

I work a FT job as well, and I've put the exam off twice already. This is my last chance to make it count. I made a calendar where I review a Lecture from EK almost every day, take the 30-min exams on the weekends, and supplement my reading with the Kaplan Qbank questions every day. My verbal is at a solid 10-11 already so I'm not focusing too much on that right now. Bio is at a 10, but it's PS I need to work on more. I'll be done with content at the end of March I think with a few break days if (when) I need them, and then I'll spend April taking the AAMCs and I have eleven paper Kaplan exams. In terms of when I study, I try to get some done at work when I have downtime. I get home at around 6, usually have dinner, then study from around 7-10 give or take. I think I'll crack down harder in a couple weeks, but these intro chapters are pretty self explanatory so far.

Hey, I too plan on taking the MCAT in May (31st). I have been reading about the SN2ed schedule, and noticed most people follow his schedule during the summer. Has anyone been doing it with school? I am currently taking 14 credits, my hardest class being orgo 2, with no close second place. For those who are taking it with school, how has it worked for you? Do you have any recommendations or modifications? I was hoping to get in 3-3.5 months of study time and want to order my books very shortly. Any advice would be great!

I am taking it on May 19 and applying this cycle..

I have the Kaplan books and just ordered EK for verbal (b/c I heard Kaplan wasn't too good) as well as the PR Workout book.

I'm taking organic and bio this year so I will be almost done with them when I take the test. I've started with physics -> verbal -> gen chem -> bio -> o-chem. (1 subject at a time for the most part... easier for me to stay focused.)

Hey, I too plan on taking the MCAT in May (31st). I have been reading about the SN2ed schedule, and noticed most people follow his schedule during the summer. Has anyone been doing it with school? I am currently taking 14 credits, my hardest class being orgo 2, with no close second place. For those who are taking it with school, how has it worked for you? Do you have any recommendations or modifications? I was hoping to get in 3-3.5 months of study time and want to order my books very shortly. Any advice would be great!

I'm doing SN2ed along with a full course load. It's definitely a lot of work -- It takes me anywhere from 3 to 6 hours per day of MCAT studying which makes studying for school extremely difficult.

As for modifications, I put a week long break after the first half of content review and then again after the completion of content review. That gives me a few extra days to go back and review the material that I feel I need to nail down a little more. I've got about 5 weeks for practice tests at the end which is the most important part of studying from what others have said here.

31 May MCAT as well! Just like a few others I am having trouble balancing school, work, and studying for the test.

My biggest issue lies with the physics. I took it during the summer two years ago, got A's in both Part 1 and 2 but never really grasped it.

31 May MCAT as well! Just like a few others I am having trouble balancing school, work, and studying for the test.

My biggest issue lies with the physics. I took it during the summer two years ago, got A's in both Part 1 and 2 but never really grasped it.

I had the same problem..i never understood concepts, just memorized formulas and did good so i had to basically learn it all from scratch..god bless tbr physics

I'm doing SN2ed along with a full course load. It's definitely a lot of work -- It takes me anywhere from 3 to 6 hours per day of MCAT studying which makes studying for school extremely difficult.

As for modifications, I put a week long break after the first half of content review and then again after the completion of content review. That gives me a few extra days to go back and review the material that I feel I need to nail down a little more. I've got about 5 weeks for practice tests at the end which is the most important part of studying from what others have said here.

How on earth do you have time to study 6 hours a day!? I'm taking full course load + senior thesis and I had to postpone SN2ed schedule twice already for 4/28 test date. I don't know if I should postpone the MCAT date to May. My only problem is that spring session starts end of April and I don't think MCAT and ochem I is a good combo...

How on earth do you have time to study 6 hours a day!? I'm taking full course load + senior thesis and I had to postpone SN2ed schedule twice already for 4/28 test date. I don't know if I should postpone the MCAT date to May. My only problem is that spring session starts end of April and I don't think MCAT and ochem I is a good combo...

It's not 6 hours every day, just once or twice per week. Like I said, it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 hours typically.

It looks like studying will take a bit longer for you since you'll be learning organic on the run. :eek: Good luck to you.

Just curious, are you guys planning to apply this summer?
I am thinking of postponing my test date to May, but getting grade in mid June seem late.
Do you think there would be enough time to pick schools and send application?

Just curious, are you guys planning to apply this summer?
I am thinking of postponing my test date to May, but getting grade in mid June seem late.
Do you think there would be enough time to pick schools and send application?

Yes, definitely. You will have time. And you can still submit June 1st without your score.

so wheres everyone at with their material? Im going through the TBR chapters again for a little extra review for the third time, lol, and will be finished with that the 14th, then for about 12-14 days ill spend covering every TPR science worbook passage. Next month will be spent reading chapters that gave me trouble again, doing select EK 1001 chapters, doing the rest of the god standard practice mcats. And then im not sure where ill go from there...

I'm taking it on May 19th, while also taking 19 units:( Luckily most of those classes are easy gen-eds, except for physics II. I'm using Chad's Videos from ***********.com as well as EK 1001 questions.