May 2012 MCAT .. scores/discussion thread .... I hope its not too early :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking the MCAT in May 12?
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread & TBR Scores and discussion thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR/TPRH science workbook passages + EK1001 or any other practice material you are using for the May exam :D.

I am currently working on Biology (Proteins/lipids/Carbs...):sleep: (Using TPRH+EK to review and TBR+EK1001+TPRH Science workbook for practice passages)

Keep this thread alive :)

Members don't see this ad.

so wheres everyone at with their material? Im going through the TBR chapters again for a little extra review for the third time, lol, and will be finished with that the 14th, then for about 12-14 days ill spend covering every TPR science worbook passage. Next month will be spent reading chapters that gave me trouble again, doing select EK 1001 chapters, doing the rest of the god standard practice mcats. And then im not sure where ill go from there...

I'm just rolling through TBR on a modified version of SN2ed. This week will be chapter 4.

so wheres everyone at with their material? Im going through the TBR chapters again for a little extra review for the third time, lol, and will be finished with that the 14th, then for about 12-14 days ill spend covering every TPR science worbook passage. Next month will be spent reading chapters that gave me trouble again, doing select EK 1001 chapters, doing the rest of the god standard practice mcats. And then im not sure where ill go from there...

Hahah I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm doing SN2ed schedule. I'll be done with content review in a month, maybe a bit less. Then I'm going to spend 1-2 weeks finishing the TPR workbook for all of Biology/Ochem, and any sections I did bad on in TBR. I'm also going to do the 30 min exams for the EK chapters. I'll then start FL's. I plan to do all the AAMC's and a few extra. I started SN2ED 4 month schedule 5.3 months before my actual test, so IK have extra time to do this stuff ;]

doing S2Ned as well for a May 24th date. I'm a little behind on schedule already because of balancing classes and studying, but catching up soon hopefully!

I think the worst is getting through the long chem/ochem chapters, ughhh :thumbdown:

Does anyone else have a hard time resisting to correct TBR passages till the next day? I always want to look right away!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha this happens with me every so often. Yesterday I read o-chem, going to do the passages today cause I was too tired last night

I'll be taking the May 12th exam also! I'm using the SN2ed schedule, with TBR, TPRH Verbal (which is great btw...I'm seeing improvements in verbal already), EK 1001, EK 101 Verbal, and TPR Cracking the Exam for things in which I need more clarification. I hope everything goes well...it's pretty intense since I need to refresh my memory from taking Orgo and Gen Chem 4 years ago :-/

I'll be taking the May 12th exam also! I'm using the SN2ed schedule, with TBR, TPRH Verbal (which is great btw...I'm seeing improvements in verbal already), EK 1001, EK 101 Verbal, and TPR Cracking the Exam for things in which I need more clarification. I hope everything goes well...it's pretty intense since I need to refresh my memory from taking Orgo and Gen Chem 4 years ago :-/

It sounds like you're all set!

Are you following the TPRH Verbal strategy or just using the practice passages?

I'm taking it May 12th. I'm following the SN2ed schedule too. Is anyone else not getting the scores they want on the BR passages after the chapters? I'm hoping I'm not the only one and that as I go I'll start picking it up and things will build on others.

There's a verbal strategy?? where? lol

I'm thinking of TBR, sorry.

Member244322 said:
I'm taking it May 12th. I'm following the SN2ed schedule too. Is anyone else not getting the scores they want on the BR passages after the chapters? I'm hoping I'm not the only one and that as I go I'll start picking it up and things will build on others.

What week are you on?

Just finished day 9, so very early in the process. I did a lot better today and feel confident. I was just wondering if anyone else started off slow and ended up doing great on the MCAT.

I'm signed up for May 12! I got the EK study package, plus the verbal 101 and 1001 Q's for Gen Chem & Physics, my weak spots. I haven't really started studying yet though.

I JUST finished my first practice test, AMCAS #3, to get a baseline. I got a 33! HIGH FIVE.:thumbup:

I guess I gotta work on bringing up that 10 in the PS section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm signed up for May 12! I got the EK study package, plus the verbal 101 and 1001 Q's for Gen Chem & Physics, my weak spots. I haven't really started studying yet though.

I JUST finished my first practice test, AMCAS #3, to get a baseline. I got a 33! HIGH FIVE.:thumbup:

I guess I gotta work on bringing up that 10 in the PS section.

Nice, grats. I started out around 21(5/10/6) but now im probably high 20s- low 30s but well see. I finished tbr reviewing just going to casually read those chapters plus every night reviewing TPR bio...now im spending a lot of time doing every TPR science workbook passage...eventually ill do some ek 1001 on topics i had it rough in.

Anyone else not taken the pre-reqs for 3 - 4 years and having a tough time with content review?

im scheduled for 4/28 but im looking to postpone to a may date...keeping my fingers crossed :xf:i will be checking daily for a northern cali spot! :)

Last edited:
Anyone else not taken the pre-reqs for 3 - 4 years and having a tough time with content review?

I am with Physics and Chem. Watching tons of videos online. It has put me way behind in picking the date. I originally wanted 3/24 but I officially registered for 5/31. I'm taking Orgo 2 and at least that helps.

~M

I'm following the Sn2ed schedule..man the reread the chapters day really is a ton of stuff to go over. Does it take anyone else the entire day to go over it all? I actually have had to split the reread day and the second 1/3 between two days.

I'm following the Sn2ed schedule..man the reread the chapters day really is a ton of stuff to go over. Does it take anyone else the entire day to go over it all? I actually have had to split the reread day and the second 1/3 between two days.

Yeah, I was about to say that doing that review is not even close to capable in one day.

My PS stinks! AAMC#3 = 7, AAMC#4 = 9. I'm starting to realize that I never learned a lot of this stuff, like buoyancy and optics. :sleep:

HA! I'm reviewing almost every day. No way I can cram it all in even 2 days. I'm taking Orgo 2, work and have a family so I'm constantly looking at this stuff.

My PS stinks! AAMC#3 = 7, AAMC#4 = 9. I'm starting to realize that I never learned a lot of this stuff, like buoyancy and optics. :sleep:

Sheesh, waaay better than my baseline. Those aren't bad at all. Did you study prior to taking those?

~M

ummm hell yeah the reread days take me about two days and thats excluding 1001s....

Sheesh, waaay better than my baseline. Those aren't bad at all. Did you study prior to taking those?

Yeah, I'm about 25% into Gen Chem and physics content review. I'm just taking 3 and 4 to see what topics I really need to focus on when I'm studying.

Thank god I thought I was the only one! How much time does it take y'all to just do 1 section and a 1/3? Also what are yalls method for remembering the formulas?

Thank god I thought I was the only one! How much time does it take y'all to just do 1 section and a 1/3? Also what are yalls method for remembering the formulas?

You're definitely not the only one. I thought I was struggling with those days but they are taking me 2 days minimum. I'm glad I started studying early so I have some leeway but I really want to stay on schedule.

On normal days it really depends on the section for me. My PS is fairly strong so I can get through with the section and the 1/3 in about 2.5 hours. The bio days are a bit longer because I really try to focus and understand all the terminology and make connections between all the terms so I can remember them long term. My OChem days are impossible! I can't seem to get through an OChem section in a single day without having it spill over into another day. I'm definitely skewed towards PS than BS. It's time to kick it up a notch

May 12 here.

Also using the SN2ed method with a bit of EK to brush up on some content.

Quick question:

I know taking the MCAT on May 12 and getting scores back mid-June won't be a huge issue for early AMCAS submission (June 1). However, what about TMDSAS? I think you can submit the TMDSAS after May 1. Just wondering if 6 weeks is really disadvantageous or not. I've tried searching but didn't get anything useful.

May 24th here. Does anyone have any tips in regards to improving Biological science section. I feel like I never know what any of the passages are referring too.

May 12 here.

Also using the SN2ed method with a bit of EK to brush up on some content.

Quick question:

I know taking the MCAT on May 12 and getting scores back mid-June won't be a huge issue for early AMCAS submission (June 1). However, what about TMDSAS? I think you can submit the TMDSAS after May 1. Just wondering if 6 weeks is really disadvantageous or not. I've tried searching but didn't get anything useful.

Actually, this brings up another question from me. I am taking it April 28th and probably again on May 31st. This is way too late for the early submission, right? I will have the April 28th MCAT on hand, hoping it's not too bad, but...everything else will need to be filled out, right?

ummm hell yeah the reread days take me about two days and thats excluding 1001s....

+1

Hey! I'm taking the MCAT May 12th as well. I'm working with the SN2ed method while also using the Altius book I bought from my friend. Really hoping my VR will improve.

Actually, this brings up another question from me. I am taking it April 28th and probably again on May 31st. This is way too late for the early submission, right? I will have the April 28th MCAT on hand, hoping it's not too bad, but...everything else will need to be filled out, right?

Why are you already psyching yourself out for your April test date? I think that if you expect to have to take it again then you should just cancel that test date and continue to study. I guess you could go in there with the mindset of voiding the exam buy that's a pretty expensive practice test if you ask me.

As for your question, I don't think there's a black and white definition for what is an early app and what is not. Take the MCAT once you're ready to do well and have everything else on your app ready to submit so the only thing you are waiting on is your score. It's much better to do it that way than to take the test earlier than you should and not score as well just so your app can be considered "early".

+1

Hey! I'm taking the MCAT May 12th as well. I'm working with the SN2ed method while also using the Altius book I bought from my friend. Really hoping my VR will improve.

I am getting extremely frustrated with verbal as well. I will go most of the week doing well on verbal passages and then I'll get than one passage that I miss nearly every question on and it shatters my confidence. This happened to me yesterday. TPR verbal is sometimes really difficult to interpret. I can usually get all but one right on nearly every passage I take but then I get snuck up on by a passage that I miss everything but one!

Got my BR books. I might modify SN2ed's schedule just a little bit for the May 12th test.

It has finally started ... T.T

Holy crap, I just started TBR Organic Chem and granted I haven't taken the class in 4.5 years, I read through the chapter and started doing passages - 1/8, 1/7, 3/7, 3/6. I am starting to freak out...

Just did another passage and I keep improving every-time, so I am calming down a bit. I think it might have just been shock from the first MCAT passages I have ever done.

How long are you guys giving yourself to complete a TBR passage?

I am doing 7 minutes for Orgo, but I am not sure how on-par this is.

I take mine May 19th. I feel like the EK 1001 takes me sooooooo long to do, but it feels almost necessary to do them all because it helps me understand the material much better. I have barely done any reading thus far ( because I was studying for the exam before, but then i stopped), so im not 100% lost on the material, but I know I still have A LOT of work to do. I'm pretty petrified about taking my first full length. I was studying for this nightmare about a year ago with Kaplan. Got an 18 on my diagnostic and I guessed EVERYTHING. That's how lost I was. I "studied" somewhat and took my first Kaplan full length and got a 17. Freaked out. I was mostly doing reading though, and not enough practice. I was also not nearly as focused as I am now. So we'll see. Any advice on which practice exam to take first just to see where I'm at, even though I'm not even half way done through the material??:confused::scared:

Just did another passage and I keep improving every-time, so I am calming down a bit. I think it might have just been shock from the first MCAT passages I have ever done.

How long are you guys giving yourself to complete a TBR passage?

I am doing 7 minutes for Orgo, but I am not sure how on-par this is.

Glad to hear it's getting better. That was me during the first chapter of Physics. Of all sections, I'm severely challenged with projectiles, and that was in the first chapter. Ha! At least I know my weakness and can work on it.

I started out giving myself 8 minutes. Depending on the subject, I'd finish each passage between 6-8 minutes. Really need to improve my reading speed.

I would take either aamc 3 or 7 I have heard they are the easiest. So if anything it should boost your confidence.

are BR metabolism passages really that hard or am I just dumb .... :confused:

Will the MCAT really go that in depth with Kreb's, Calvin, enzyme kinematics and stuff?

Like ... the BR passages have stuff that I just learned in biochem .......... :scared:

Just curious, but are most people working and taking classes while studying for this beast? I am trying to dedicate a few hours a day to mcat studying but feeling like its never enough. Just trying to see how much time some of you are spending each day. Thanks.

Just curious, but are most people working and taking classes while studying for this beast? I am trying to dedicate a few hours a day to mcat studying but feeling like its never enough. Just trying to see how much time some of you are spending each day. Thanks.

I work full-time and take classes as well, but I took the test in January. I did the bulk of my studying over winter break, when I didn't have classes to worry about. If that type of schedule is an option for you, I recommend it.

Of course, if applying early in this cycle is a priority, that plan won't work. During the semester I spent about 1-2.5 hours each night studying and took a practice test on Saturday or Sunday. I had most classes on Monday and usually took that night off to watch TV, catch-up on schoolwork I didn't make it to over the weekend, or to just stare at a wall.

The ordeal definitely wasn't enjoyable and it took me a while to feel like I was getting anywhere, but keeping to the schedule was crucial. It's far from easy, but doable. Just focus on the end. You won't have to do this juggling act forever.

That said, when results come out on Tuesday, I may be joining you back in the trenches.

I work full-time and take classes as well, but I took the test in January. I did the bulk of my studying over winter break, when I didn't have classes to worry about. If that type of schedule is an option for you, I recommend it.

Of course, if applying early in this cycle is a priority, that plan won't work. During the semester I spent about 1-2.5 hours each night studying and took a practice test on Saturday or Sunday. I had most classes on Monday and usually took that night off to watch TV, catch-up on schoolwork I didn't make it to over the weekend, or to just stare at a wall.

The ordeal definitely wasn't enjoyable and it took me a while to feel like I was getting anywhere, but keeping to the schedule was crucial. It's far from easy, but doable. Just focus on the end. You won't have to do this juggling act forever.

That said, when results come out on Tuesday, I may be joining you back in the trenches.

Hey thank you very much for the speedy reply, it makes me feel better that you were extremely busy as well. Good luck with your scores!!

Just curious. For those of you who are only studying (no classes, no work) how many hours do you study a day?

I haven't been able to study. I've been caught up in relationship problems and I'm freaking out. Only 3 chapters in for each subject and bombing my practice exams.

I haven't been able to study. I've been caught up in relationship problems and I'm freaking out. Only 3 chapters in for each subject and bombing my practice exams.

Then end that crap and start working.

If you're having problems now, this person isn't going to be around to do anything but drag you down. Either cut the crap out and concentrate on what's really important or know that you're screwing up the rest of your life over something temporary.

I just pushed my test to may for the same reason. Thing is, I bounced back the next week by telling myself what's really important in my life.