May 2014 grads- hospital jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Africanqwinn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start applying for hospital jobs for a May graduate? When is the appropriate time to start applying? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Apply when you get licensed. (Hospitals will not touch you until you do).

If you run into licensing issues, apply as an intern.

Good luck

I applied for my current hospital job as a P4 in December, interviewed end of February and was hired in March to start after graduation in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to bump this thread
Any 2014 graduates get jobs in a hospital? Any suggestions on applying? What experiences did you have prior to applying, if any?

Any 2014 graduates get jobs in a hospital? Any suggestions on applying? What experiences did you have prior to applying, if any?

I would just apply to whatever looks good to you. It may be helpful to look for jobs that advertise things like new grads welcome or no experience necessary. However, these jobs may be few and far between, so there's nothing stopping you from applying for jobs that ask for 1-3 years experience.

We just finished interviewing some new grads for a position at our hospital. In the student lacking hospital work experience, we were looking for someone who could show us that they at least had an interest in hospital pharmacy (i.e. by primarily doing hospital/clinical rotations). If a new grad mainly had retail or other non-hospital rotations on their resume, that would be a red flag for me.

One of my students got a job with a 150 bed hospital in a rural area of my state, popuylation about 20,000 people. His only hospital experience has been P4 year rotations. He has had some leadership positions in the college and average GPA =~3.2ish. He has networked well and is well liked by preceptors and faculty. It helps that he has a great work ethic and showed this at all rotations sites. He rotated through the hospital that hired him.

This guy is 1 of maybe 3 in class of 100 that found a fulltime hospital job. 30 students are going on to do residencies and the rest are going to retail or are still looking.

I got an overnight staff position at a regional medical center in the Midwest. They let me start right after graduation. I just had to be licensed within 90 days of hire.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an overnight staff position at a regional medical center in the Midwest. They let me start right after graduation. I just had to be licensed within 90 days of hire.
Did you just graduate? And did you have any experience prior or just rotations?

I would just apply to whatever looks good to you. It may be helpful to look for jobs that advertise things like new grads welcome or no experience necessary. However, these jobs may be few and far between, so there's nothing stopping you from applying for jobs that ask for 1-3 years experience.

We just finished interviewing some new grads for a position at our hospital. In the student lacking hospital work experience, we were looking for someone who could show us that they at least had an interest in hospital pharmacy (i.e. by primarily doing hospital/clinical rotations). If a new grad mainly had retail or other non-hospital rotations on their resume, that would be a red flag for me.
Would you suggest prospective employees to send a resume instead of a CV? I send my CV because my professor told us to send CV for hospital and residencies but a resume for retail.

Would you suggest prospective employees to send a resume instead of a CV? I send my CV because my professor told us to send CV for hospital and residencies but a resume for retail.

I'm honestly not sure about this and cannot remember what I used when I was applying. Though I was just coming off of not matching so I probably used my CV. My director did complain that some of the new grads sent him CV/resumes that were too long but that is n =1 so take it for what it's worth. Plus it didn't really change whether or not we were planning on hiring the person anyway.

One suggestion I would make is to tailor your application materials (whether CV or resume) for whatever it is you are applying for. We had some people apply who did not take their match number off of their CV/resume and that just seemed sloppy to me. Maybe I'm really anal, but it would only take a few seconds to take your match number off and save a new document. Also, a well written and presentable cover letter really impresses me. If you are a new grad that is lacking experience, you can try to use your cover letter to make an impression of who you are and why you would be a great candidate for the job over someone else.

I have an open staff pharmacist position. Northern Cal. Hybrid clinical/staff role. 4 x 10 hours per week. Every 3rd weekend. 3 weeks PTO per year to start + 30 hours of CE paid. ACLS required. Looking for PGY1. Will pay moving. Pays more than any retail out there. PM me for info.

Reactions: 1 user
I know Z has posted crazy salary like 90% pharmacist salary for grad interns but just curious, has anyone here ever got a job thru him?

Did you just graduate? And did you have any experience prior or just rotations?

I did just graduate in May. I had worked as a technician in a hospital during school. I think I was just in the right place at the right time.