May 2014 MCATers United

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 2014 MCATers, please unite!

Regardless of when in May you are planning to take the MCAT, let's all join this thread to keep each other informed about our progress, motivate each other, share FL scores, and to answer each other's questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did 2/3s of the verbal yesterday and the last 1/3 of them today...but yeah the whole first half I destroyed it and then completely tanked the last half, and I actually did the same with the bio...I think I got frustrated and impatient and somewhat rushed to finish just to see the results...and if that's the case then I'm ok with that, but those scores still hurt the heart. I'm hoping a month is enough to get better at the whole focus/endurance thing :-/

That happened to me early on in my prep when I was doing EK. Don't test yourself for over 60-70min. I don't see any point in going over that time frame if that's how much time you have on the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That happened to me early on in my prep when I was doing EK. Don't test yourself for over 60-70min. I don't see any point in going over that time frame if that's how much time you have on the real deal.

Should i take that 51/60 on the first 10 verbal passages confidently as "I'm good with verbal as long as I don't do it when tired?" Lol

Should i take that 51/60 on the first 10 verbal passages confidently as "I'm good with verbal as long as I don't do it when tired?" Lol
I personally would! The real deal only has 40 questions! Hell that could be a freaking 15!

Members don't see this ad :)
My exam is May 8th btw and I'm taking 1 practice exam a day until may 7th. I hope I can improve my Ochem and physics by then.

The Same test date ... I made a trip to my testing center today saying hi lol ... I'm freaking out, I need to raise this VR score .. tried your method, I took very quick look at the questions looking for key words (15-30 seconds) then read the passage, highlighted the things and when I read the questions afterward, I didn't refer too much to the passage or I just referred to my highlights ... I didn't do a FL VR but I did 4 TPR passages .. got (3/6 ,, 4/7 ,, 4/7 ,, 4/7) which is good as a start I guess, if I answer 4 questions in each passage, I'll end up with 28/40 = 9 ... if I see that on the real thing, I'll keep my promise if you still remember it! Dinner for everyone, place of your choice, yet you have to come to Boston & celebrate at Harvard my future medical school :p

The Same test date ... I made a trip to my testing center today saying hi lol ... I'm freaking out, I need to raise this VR score .. tried your method, I took very quick look at the questions looking for key words (15-30 seconds) then read the passage, highlighted the things and when I read the questions afterward, I didn't refer too much to the passage or I just referred to my highlights ... I didn't do a FL VR but I did 4 TPR passages .. got (3/6 ,, 4/7 ,, 4/7 ,, 4/7) which is good as a start I guess, if I answer 4 questions in each passage, I'll end up with 28/40 = 9 ... if I see that on the real thing, I'll keep my promise if you still remember it! Dinner for everyone, place of your choice, yet you have to come to Boston & celebrate at Harvard my future medical school :p

haha ! would you pay for my flight too? please

haha ! would you pay for my flight too? please

hahaha No ,,, only dinner, if you can't afford coming, you will miss it :p ... Canada is not that far from us though, there are some bus services, cheaper!

Everyone is talking about their cool places and Im like "I just wanna get in anywhere"

Hahahaha ... I want to get in anywhere even if it's in Mars, I'm not limited to planet earth lol
I'm a BU student, seeing Harvard next door breaks my heart LOL

Id love to go back to where I did my undergrad but I'll probably need a 38 mcat lol. I don't wanna be picky but I just want to stay in California.....

Unrelated, but has anyone gotten fatter. I went from working out x6 a week to 2 times a week....and I'm getting soft.

nope...but thats not so surprising...the only stuff I do nowadays are class, MCAT studying and working out since I want to do army medicine (refer to avatar O'Malley)

Id love to go back to where I did my undergrad but I'll probably need a 38 mcat lol. I don't wanna be picky but I just want to stay in California.....

Unrelated, but has anyone gotten fatter. I went from working out x6 a week to 2 times a week....and I'm getting soft.

38+!!! Average accepted MCAT scores at Harvard ~ 34!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm definitely getting fatter... This past week I've been eating like the true nutrition major I was in college, though. Trying to plan ahead and not be a pig haha. Though yesterday I ate like half a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream

Everyone is talking about their cool places and Im like "I just wanna get in anywhere"

Me too!!! Except the Caribbean. Even though I love the Caribbean....

I will apply to mostly DOs. Hopefully they will forgive me for my low GPA (3.42) and like me for my ridiculous amount of extracurriculars instead<33

My GPA is 3.69 and I didn't go to Harvard. Although if you check the MSAR, the median for Harvard is a 37....

What I meant is this school requires higher score than Harvard!

Me too!!! Except the Caribbean. Even though I love the Caribbean....

I will apply to mostly DOs. Hopefully they will forgive me for my low GPA (3.42) and like me for my ridiculous amount of extracurriculars instead<33

GPA wise, I'm in the same boat as you guys (3.46), which is the only reason why I'm doing a graduate medical sciences program to get a stupid high GPA (but I'm almost getting B+ this semester in all of my classes which is another factor to my depression, no good GPA & no good MCAT, totally screwed) .. I just need to prove that I'm smart enough to handle rigor curriculum !

What I meant is this school requires higher score than Harvard!

GPA wise, I'm in the same boat as you guys (3.46), which is the only reason why I'm doing a graduate medical sciences program to get a stupid high GPA (but I'm almost getting B+ this semester in all of my classes which is another factor to my depression, no good GPA & no good MCAT, totally screwed) .. I just need to prove that I'm smart enough to handle rigor curriculum !

Do you like your program? If I don't do well on the MCAT grad programs are definitely my next step =-O

Do you like your program? If I don't do well on the MCAT grad programs are definitely my next step =-O

To be honest, I have no interest in anything other than medicine & science! So, I'm not the person who would give you an unbiased opinion. However, overall it's not terrible & if you do your work & if you are a good writer as this is what you do as a grad student, you write tons & tons of research papers, you should get straight A's, which is what you need for med school. It's a M.S. in Healthcare Emergency Management .. not science heavy at all, which is to me a disadvantage as I like science more but if you want to get into BUSM, I guess your chances might be higher if your GPA is 3.8+ .. it's known to be rigor and tough + it's taught at the school of medicine which is funny as they call us MED students!!! & at the same time it breaks my heart that I'm in medical school but not a medical student :(
Currently, I'm the only one who wants to get into med school in the program, everyone else wants to be an emergency manager in a healthcare setting e.g. a hospital or state emergency department etc. Yet, my program director which is my academic advisor told me that they had many students in the past who came to the program with a goal to get into med school & they were successful in getting into med school. So, if I work hard, I'll be one of them, HOPEFULLY PRAYERS FOR ME PLEASE!

So, overall it's not that bad, it's just NOT science heavy + I'm not sure if this the grad school or the program itself but it requires A LOT of reading for your classes & participation & class discussion ARE ESSENTIAL if you want to get an A .. they are HARSH when it comes to participation grade!

The positive thing I find in this program is that we don't have final exams .. which is awesome with my MCAT prep as it's going to be terrible to study for finals and study for the MCAT, we have final research paper + presentation for each class but it's easier than exams ... we have 2-year and 1-year intensive track. I'm doing the one year & will be graduating this summer .. currently enrolled in 18 credits, not typical for a grad student but hope it will make a HUGE difference for med adcoms when they evaluate my application that I'm taking a lot of credits + MCAT prep! I deserve to be offered a FREE ACCEPTANCE LOL

Here is the link to our program if you are interested but their link sucks! If you want to know more details about it, feel free to ask me :)
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/bmcm/

To be honest, I have no interest in anything other than medicine & science! So, I'm not the person who would give you an unbiased opinion. However, overall it's not terrible & if you do your work & if you are a good writer as this is what you do as a grad student, you write tons & tons of research papers, you should get straight A's, which is what you need for med school. It's a M.S. in Healthcare Emergency Management .. not science heavy at all, which is to me a disadvantage as I like science more but if you want to get into BUSM, I guess your chances might be higher if your GPA is 3.8+ .. it's known to be rigor and tough + it's taught at the school of medicine which is funny as they call us MED students!!! & at the same time it breaks my heart that I'm in medical school but not a medical student :(
Currently, I'm the only one who wants to get into med school in the program, everyone else wants to be an emergency manager in a healthcare setting e.g. a hospital or state emergency department etc. Yet, my program director which is my academic advisor told me that they had many students in the past who came to the program with a goal to get into med school & they were successful in getting into med school. So, if I work hard, I'll be one of them, HOPEFULLY PRAYERS FOR ME PLEASE!

So, overall it's not that bad, it's just NOT science heavy + I'm not sure if this the grad school or the program itself but it requires A LOT of reading for your classes & participation & class discussion ARE ESSENTIAL if you want to get an A .. they are HARSH when it comes to participation grade!

The positive thing I find in this program is that we don't have final exams .. which is awesome with my MCAT prep as it's going to be terrible to study for finals and study for the MCAT, we have final research paper + presentation for each class but it's easier than exams ... we have 2-year and 1-year intensive track. I'm doing the one year & will be graduating this summer .. currently enrolled in 18 credits, not typical for a grad student but hope it will make a HUGE difference for med comms when they evaluate my application that I'm taking a lot of credits + MCAT prep! I deserve to be offered a FREE ACCEPTANCE LOL

Here is the link to our program if you are interested but their link sucks! If you want to know more details about it, feel free to ask me :)
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/bmcm/

Sounds like a cool program!!! But Boston... brrrr. I've actually thought about doing emergency management as a masters since I have a ton of ER/EMS experience. Only thing is I feel like I'm getting old and need to get into med school ASAP... lol. Thanks for the info, though!! Hopefully we will dominate this MCAT beast.

Sounds like a cool program!!! But Boston... brrrr. I've actually thought about doing emergency management as a masters since I have a ton of ER/EMS experience. Only thing is I feel like I'm getting old and need to get into med school ASAP... lol. Thanks for the info, though!! Hopefully we will dominate this MCAT beast.

It's the best program in emergency management if you are interested in the field... students got their jobs already! before graduating! FEMA hire students from our programs, someone who graduated last year, they created a job for him in his state! So, it's known, it's just me that I don't like it that much but about 95% of students have EMS/fire background, so you will definitely fit in there, you might consider doing it now the year before medical school because you will do well & get into med school :)
Some MD people took the program as well, so I should have an advantage for doing it before med school!

And why do you hate Boston ... it's my lovely city!

EDIT: forgot to mention, you can take the program COMPLETELY LIVE ONLINE! you don't need to come to Boston, we have many remote students that NEVER & will NEVER come to campus! We log in to Adobe Connect for classroom conference and it's very interactive between remote/in house students ... I live 1 mile from campus but if I'm not in the mood to walk to class, I just attend online!

Last edited:

Ughhh!!! I feel so squishy. 8 hours + of studying everyday is not being kind to my butt

definitely getting fatter here. I went from working out and cooking healthy most days to not working out at all and eating 1-2 red baron pizzas a week.

It's the best program in emergency management if you are interested in the field... students got their jobs already! before graduating! FEMA hire students from our programs, someone who graduated last year, they created a job for him in his state! So, it's known, it's just me that I don't like it that much but about 95% of students have EMS/fire background, so you will definitely fit in there, you might consider doing it now the year before medical school because you will do well & get into med school :)
Some MD people took the program as well, so I should have an advantage for doing it before med school!

And why do you hate Boston ... it's my lovely city!

EDIT: forgot to mention, you can take the program COMPLETELY LIVE ONLINE! you don't need to come to Boston, we have many remote students that NEVER & will NEVER come to campus! We log in to Adobe Connect for classroom conference and it's very interactive between remote/in house students ... I live 1 mile from campus but if I'm not in the mood to walk to class, I just attend online!

Oh I don't hate Boston at all!! I love the city! I just hate the cold lol. And I'm not really a city girl. Grew up right outside of DC in northern VA and the traffic... ohhhhhh the traffic! That's pretty cool that you don't have to go to the campus. I would totally be up for something like that. Still crossing my fingers for med school though! I won't give up!

Nightmares for sure.. I was a happy kid until I saw my AAMC 3 score which destroyed my hope and confidence... Now the thoughts of postponing or not even applying this year are killing me....

Uh yeah, I feel ya, even though I would've much rather had your AAMC 3 score. When will you do 4?

I just want to get this over with. Every day for me is just no fun. I feel like my excuse for not doing anything for the past 2 months has been I have to study for the mcat

Reactions: 4 users
definitely getting fatter here. I went from working out and cooking healthy most days to not working out at all and eating 1-2 red baron pizzas a week.

Ya, pretty much the same. Looking forward to getting back to the gym again

I just want to get this over with. Every day for me is just no fun. I feel like my excuse for not doing anything for the past 2 months has been I have to study for the mcat

Me too.... and 99% of the time the response is "you'll be fine! lets go out!" or "don't burn yourself out!!" and im like... but I have no choice!

My friends are going to the beach today. FML!!! I just wish I could get my PS to a 10 then I'd take a chill pill

I know my belly is getting all pillsborough dough girl on me...
Dude...me too. I feel like a crazy person. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and only got like canned chili and oatmeal and coffee. When I was checking out it was kind of embarrassing. Only food that takes less than five min to prep. Haha

Anyone else been dreaming about the MCAT? :(

Dreaming! Nightmares not dreams ... dreams are nice but nightmares are crazy!

I'm freaking out ... I want to be normal, I have some episodes of crying for no reason!! What I'm going to do for the rest of my life!

I'm hoping that (with all due respect to everyone on this forum) I don't have to come back to this forum again to prep for the 5/17 MCAT ;)
I have been having way too many MCAT themed dreams in the past month. Most of them center around a stellar PS, an OK VR, and a great BS

I'm hoping that (with all due respect to everyone on this forum) I don't have to come back to this forum again to prep for the 5/17 MCAT ;)
I have been having way too many MCAT themed dreams in the past month. Most of them center around a stellar PS, an OK VR, and a great BS

That's not cool bro

You will get that 31 for sure but you will have to stick around and motivate us

No no Anon you misunderstand me bro. What I'm saying is I don't want to have to come back for PREP. I will stick around to motivate definitely :D

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT has been really killing me ever since October. Been on my mind for a long time trying to master this things the right way.
The analogy I like to associate this with is - Ever had those nightmares where you know you're safe because all you need to do is force yourself to wake up and and feel relieved that it's not true? The MCAT has been taking over a lot of my life and know that its just a phase where I will wake up and be relieved but all I need is that 1 number that will give me the freedom I need and will never need to think of it again....
One day....ahhh.

MCAT has been really killing me ever since October. Been on my mind for a long time trying to master this things the right way.
The analogy I like to associate this with is - Ever had those nightmares where you know you're safe because all you need to do is force yourself to wake up and and feel relieved that it's not true? The MCAT has been taking over a lot of my life and know that its just a phase where I will wake up and be relieved but all I need is that 1 number that will give me the freedom I need and will never need to think of it again....
One day....ahhh.

I think of the MCAT like zombies from The Walking Dead... you think you're safe one second but then the next you remember that they are right around the corner.........

Reactions: 4 users
One day....ahhh.

You are definitely not alone, I feel exactly the same ... don't worry bro, I'm pretty sure that day would come!