May be reapplying - continue with current gap year job or..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently applying this cycle with mostly rejections and many silences (which I'm going to assume will be rejections). I am still hopeful but trying to prepare for next cycle in case. I have currently been working as an outpatient scribe since early September, however I would love feedback as to whether I should find another job if I end up needing to re-apply. I was a Public Health major undergrad and would love to find a Research Assistant position more in clinical research. I know many say that scribe position is invaluable with what you learn that you can apply as a med student and future physician but it doesn't pay much and gets quite repetitive. I have no long-term research experience minus two summer internships as an undergraduate. Would love feedback on other gap year jobs as well! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you've already done scribing, it would be good to get experience in another area. If you're interested in working as a research assistant, I'd say go for it. Start looking! Working in health clinics or nursing homes are also great areas to continue working in the field and get experience. If you get work as a research assistant, you might be able to get an in at a university. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking of doing the same thing! I have an interview for a clinical research job today at a rheumatologist
Ive been a scribe for 1/5 years and its getting pretty monotonous

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking of doing the same thing! I have an interview for a clinical research job today at a rheumatologist
Ive been a scribe for 1/5 years and its getting pretty monotonous

Congrats on the interview! I have been a scribe for 6 months and I'm already getting antsy truthfully. Planning to finish out the semester year (just because I work for an outpatient doc that I don't want to leave hanging.) Any tips on how you secured the clinical research interview? That's exactly what I want to go into but I only have 3 months of FT clinical research experience through a summer internship.