may have finally moved on from pharmacy (story time)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7.62x51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back in high school, pharmacy seemed like a safe bet based on the following criteria:
1. Steady job - easy to find and keep a job
2. Decent income - earn near six figures
3. Healthcare - ageing population meant healthcare would become an important focus. Also personally believed in the importance of keeping good health through diet, exercise, etc.

However, I was also interested in computer science / coding at the time but I was afraid of:
A. Jobs going over seas.
B. Becoming disinterested if it became a job.
C. It was what my Dad did and I wanted to be different lol.

I also wanted to really challenge myself by going the pharmacy route, see if I was "smart" enough to do it. Computer science was easy.

Fast forward to today. In my last few semesters before applying to pharmacy school and realize that I was wrong on almost every point.
1. Steady job - lol
2. Decent income - if you get the job then this may be true
3. Healthcare -
after volunteering at a hospital and pharmacy:
holy ****, get me out of here. I thought I didn't mind being around the old, sick and weak but man, that stuff gets to you. I don't want to be reminded every day of where I will eventually end up if I live long enough. I want to enjoy my life and surround myself with interesting people and ideas.
Also, I thought repetitive work is easy right? Yeah, but it kills your soul. Constantly learning and adapting to new things is what makes life fun.

Ever since I decided to go do a computer science degree, it's like I re-discovered education. No longer am I worried about getting 90% on a test, now my focus is back on actually learning again. It's still tough, still challenging and I'm actually enjoying it.

Moral of the story, a) focus on your STRENGTHs not your weaknesses because b) you can be successful in ANY industry if you're good at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I love programming! It fun creating things from scratch but debugging is a bitch. But, when you finally fix a bug that seemed impossible to fix you get the best feeling. Anyways, I am glad you found the right career. Also, organic chemistry is like programming. :)

Computer science has become the field that will get you a steady job and six-figure salary - all without the 4 years of additional schooling and $200k+ debt.

Last edited: