may i aim high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hphan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 2.9 (92 QTR credits of 1st college)
GPA: 3.4 (43 QTR of 2nd college)
GPA: 2.5 (12 QTR of current univ)) <-- forced to declare major but my current major is biology.
PCAT: Jan2005 comp%tile 69 (expected to be higher if retake in future).

Greetings,

It actually took me a while to get enough guts to post this message. From my 1st college, I gotten myself into lots of personal problems but I'm not asking for sympathy, so my stories will not be shared at this time. I did better as I switch to 2nd school and changed my direction of study. Between my 1st and 2nd school, I done a mass of community services, and I started to develop interest in pharmacy. At this 2nd school, I took most of prerequisites for pharmacy.

The 3rd, my current enrollment is in Uni of Wa. I didn't start too well, similar situation again occured as in 1st school above. At here, UofWa, the pharmacy is even higher competitive than other schools I heard of. Of everyone I've met in UofWa's pharmacy program, none was lower than 3.4.

At this point, I'm asking you for advices/recommendations and comments:
Would it be better for me to have a BA or BS? I won't be able to take more than 60 QTR credits at UofWa without a degree. The best I would increase my GPA at UofWa is up to around 3.0 or so. After 60 credits longer, of course, I'd had done my remainder of prerequisites.

Even with 3.0 GPA at UofWa, and PCAT 69, can I apply to a pharmacy school (any at all)?

With 3.0 GPA at UofWa, and PCAT of 75, what's my chance? How about PCAT 80?

Which school I could put my hopes into? What're the possible advantages out there that can help me?

"Me too" if you're thinking I'm aiming TOO HIGH. I could take as many advices as I can :luck: and can stand any tease that comes :oops: .

Note: I don't mind of attending the lowest rank school or the least popular name. As long as I get chance of acceptance, enrollment, graduate and join PeaceCorps.
---
Handful of THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

UW invites students for interviews based on GPA, PCAT scores, and letters of recommendation. UW students tend to have a high GPA relative to other schools, but I think it's because alot of people here have done prerequisites at a community college. The minimum GPA to apply here is 3.0. Average is usually 3.6-3.7. Getting a bachelor's is way less important than getting your GPA up and raising your PCAT scores. Focus on the GPA and do well in your coursework. Do you have an AA? You need at least an AA to apply to UW as well.

bananaface said:
UW invites students for interviews based on GPA, PCAT scores, and letters of recommendation. UW students tend to have a high GPA relative to other schools, but I think it's because alot of people here have done prerequisites at a community college. The minimum GPA to apply here is 3.0. Average is usually 3.6-3.7. Getting a bachelor's is way less important than getting your GPA up and raising your PCAT scores. Focus on the GPA and do well in your coursework. Do you have an AA? You need at least an AA to apply to UW as well.

I do have an AA. Thanks for your reply, bananaface. By attending UW, I believed UW is a very big name. I don't intend to apply to UW's pharmacy. It's too great, and my chance is too little. I'll focus on GPA big times with the courseworks.

I'm looking for all possibilities.
I appreciated your message, bananaface. Thank you. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should just apply to UW just for the hell of it. Hey, i doesnt hurt to try.... well maybe the application fee, but it's worth it if you do get accepted tho =)

I'm planning on applying to UCSD, MWU CCP, UT, U of A, and UCSF.
I know i'm prob wont get into UCSF or UCSD, but hey... i might get lucky or something ;)

Nightwalk8r said:
I think you should just apply to UW just for the hell of it. Hey, i doesnt hurt to try.... well maybe the application fee, but it's worth it if you do get accepted tho =)

I'm planning on applying to UCSD, MWU CCP, UT, U of A, and UCSF.
I know i'm prob wont get into UCSF or UCSD, but hey... i might get lucky or something ;)

I'll take your advice into account. Thank you. By the way, beside UW (advantage of residency), is there any other pharmacy school (accredited) out there that give me chances?

Your infos are appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi everyone. I just registered and don't know how to post a question. Someone kindly help me. Thanks. :)