May I use the same theme for the MD and MD/PhD essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashinator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! So, I have a pretty unique theme (like using the growth from a child to a man to denote my own growth, but, hopefully not as cliche) that I use throughout my 'Why MD?' essay. I initially had a paragraph about how that theme relates to my passion for research in my PS but eventually decided to remove it to focus more on the MD aspect of my passions for MD/PhD.

Now, I have a pretty nice setup and can possibly reuse that theme to talk about 'Why MD/PhD?'. I also think this adds coherence to my entire message on why research and clinical care mesh so well for me. However, I feel unsure about reusing the same theme because I then have to set it up again (as I do not know the order in which the essays will be read), and this might be repetitive (I've read a couple of places that we shouldn't repeat info as there is precious little space....). Is this done often and can I possible use a single sentence to remind the reader of my theme and then reuse it to bring the research and clinical sides together in my statement? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not repeat the theme. As a reader of the application, I would probably find it too precious. This is just my opinion, and it certainly would not result in rejection of an otherwise strong candidate.

I would not repeat the theme. As a reader of the application, I would probably find it too precious. This is just my opinion, and it certainly would not result in rejection of an otherwise strong candidate.
Thanks for the reply! Fair point. I guess, I was trying to make it a positive for my application but, is the MD/PhD essay not as important in the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, you should be careful when using "themes" in a personal statement. Although it could make you memorable if it's done well, if the theme comes off as cliche or irrelevant, you're just going to leave your reviewers thinking: "WTF is all of this flowery crap? Just tell me who you are and why you want to pursue medicine, MD/PhD, etc".

So, I would suggest writing your essays to be informative above all else. Don't reuse the theme (if you use it at all) and remember that most people have different reasons for wanting an MD and for wanting to pursue research. Figure out what your motivations are and find a way to be as clear about them as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
IMHO, you should be careful when using "themes" in a personal statement. Although it could make you memorable if it's done well, if the theme comes off as cliche or irrelevant, you're just going to leave your reviewers thinking: "WTF is all of this flowery crap? Just tell me who you are and why you want to pursue medicine, MD/PhD, etc".

So, I would suggest writing your essays to be informative above all else. Don't reuse the theme (if you use it at all) and remember that most people have different reasons for wanting an MD and for wanting to pursue research. Figure out what your motivations are and find a way to be as clear about them as possible.
Thanks for being frank - I guess I kind of got stuck on what makes a perfect application (a theme in the PS for e.g.). Well, here's hoping for the best, I'll try to write somethings strictly informative.

Thanks for being frank - I guess I kind of got stuck on what makes a perfect application (a theme in the PS for e.g.). Well, here's hoping for the best, I'll try to write somethings strictly informative.

One last thing to mention - you can be clear and informative while still letting some of your personality shine through, and that is important. It's also the hardest thing to do in the personal statement. Once you have a draft, find plenty of people to read it for you and listen to their honest feedback.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
One last thing to mention - you can be clear and informative while still letting some of your personality shine through, and that is important. It's also the hardest thing to do in the personal statement. Once you have a draft, find plenty of people to read it for you and listen to their honest feedback.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot!