maybe a dumb question, what does P.A. after DDS/DMD stand for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txntooth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this may be really dumb but i can't find it on a search and i was just curious... what does the P.A. after the DDS or DMD title signify?
i see most dentists use it in their titles...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

this may be really dumb but i can't find it on a search and i was just curious... what does the P.A. after the DDS or DMD title signify?
i see most dentists use it in their titles...

thanks!

I believe it stands for Professional Association. Many professionals have the P.A. (lawyers, docs, dentists, businesses, etc.), although how you get involved and exactly what it does is still a mystery to me.......

I believe it stands for Professional Association. Many professionals have the P.A. (lawyers, docs, dentists, businesses, etc.), although how you get involved and exactly what it does is still a mystery to me.......

Gosh...i want to know too...maybe it has something to go with the financial aspect...ie taxes, bankruptcy, etcc????????????????????
I asked this question before and when I told me the answer....i went lalallalh lah llah lahl....then i fogot!

Members don't see this ad :)
doctor of dental medicine=DMD and doctor of dental surgery=DDS. They are both equivalent degrees. The name difference does not really mean anything anymore; it's just a matter of semantics.

That wasn't the question.

Just a sign that too many people ask that Q apparently.

I've also heard PA used in regards to "Physician's Assistant," but that wouldn't make a lot of sense in this case.

I tried to Google it, but still couldn't come up with an answer.

From what I can tell, most dentists with the PA have done a residency.

From what I can tell, most dentists with the PA have done a residency.

I know several general dentists that have the P.A. after their name. Never have gotten around to asking them what it means.

I don't think it has anything to do with actual dentistry, but more along the lines of the dental practice being a business. Perhaps something to do with belonging to the local Chamber of Commerce?

This is what I found on the web:

Q
What does PC or PA after a dentist's name stand for?
A
These are abbreviations for the legal terms - Professional Corporation or Professional Association. A PC or PA dentist is one who has incorporated his practice for income tax purposes. These abbreviations have nothing to do with his or her ability as a dentist

Q
A
These are abbreviations for the legal terms - Professional Corporation or Professional Association. A PC or PA dentist is one who has incorporated his practice for income tax purposes. These abbreviations have nothing to do with his or her ability as a dentist

I was just going to chime in with this info! A lot of the lawyers I work with incorporate themselves for tax purposes.

Q
A

Ha! i knew it :D

It means professional association. In NM you are required by law to have it to practice dentistry. It is similar to LLC, CORP, ect.

The abbreviation DDS stands for doctor of dental surgery, and PA refers to a professional association. DDS is the degree held by the dentist, and professional association is a legal term that allows a person to be treated as a business entity for tax purposes.