Maybe a stupid question (cefdinir)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you put cefdinir oral suspension in the fridge, I thought you could?

Members don't see this ad.

Lexi says store at room temp for 10 days, but also says chilling can improve flavor. This leads me to believe that fridge is okay. It doesn't mention any changes in expiration if chilled.

should be kept at RT per Clinical Pharmacology> How Supplied
"Store at controlled room temperature (between 68 and 77 degrees F)"
"Reconstituted product may be stored at controlled room temperature (68 to 77 degrees F) for 10 days
Store at 77 degrees F; excursions permitted to 59-86 degrees F"

Members don't see this ad :)
Lexi says store at room temp for 10 days, but also says chilling can improve flavor. This leads me to believe that fridge is okay. It doesn't mention any changes in expiration if chilled.

should be kept at RT per Clinical Pharmacology> How Supplied
"Store at controlled room temperature (between 68 and 77 degrees F)"
"Reconstituted product may be stored at controlled room temperature (68 to 77 degrees F) for 10 days
Store at 77 degrees F; excursions permitted to 59-86 degrees F"

yeah all the site side it CAN be stored at room temp, and lexi said "Chilling oral suspension improves flavor (do not freeze)." someone asked me their kids can't keep it down and asked if fridge it would be okay, I said it should be fine (I was pretty sure of it at the time)... then I started to doubt myself, what would happen if it's put in the fridge if you are not suppose to?:(

I see why not- the only antibiotics that you are not supposed to put in the fridge to my knowledge is still Biaxin/Clarithomycin and Cleocin/Clindamycin.

What about azithromycin? Our pharmacy warning labels always says "store at room temp" so we assumed so. But for amoxicillin the pharmacist always consults patients to store it in the fridge.

What about azithromycin? Our pharmacy warning labels always says "store at room temp" so we assumed so. But for amoxicillin the pharmacist always consults patients to store it in the fridge.

I know this one...if it's ER then have to be room temp, if it's immediate release (Zithromax), then it can be room or fridge

so the consensus is that cefdinir can be put in the fridge then? i feel better now

Last edited:
yeah all the site side it CAN be stored at room temp, and lexi said "Chilling oral suspension improves flavor (do not freeze)." someone asked me their kids can't keep it down and asked if fridge it would be okay, I said it should be fine (I was pretty sure of it at the time)... then I started to doubt myself, what would happen if it's put in the fridge if you are not suppose to?:(

If this leads to the child keeping it down, a slight loss of potency would be irrelevant.

I once had a mom call me in a panic because the 10-day supply of cefdinir ran out in 5 days. It turned out the child was supposed to be dosed daily, and Mom gave it BID. She reacted this way :scared: but I told her that everything would probably be OK and to call the doctor. I didn't hear from her again so I'm guessing it was.

It can be quite thick and hard to pour from the fridge, but it's not going to hurt anything.

If the antibiotic is OK to be kept in the refrigerator it is specified on CP/Lexi/etc. "Excursions permitted" to refrigerated temperatures means it's not supposed to be in there for an extended duration. The tight range specified by the manufacturer may mean the stability has not been tested at that temperature or there is an actual problem.

"Store reconstituted product between 41 to 86 degrees F "
This is OK.

If cefdinir was OK to refrigerate then there would be a statement like that, but there's not.

Pharmacist's Letter has a great chart that I printed off for at work to look at if I'm not sure. Contains all the antibiotic and antifungual suspensions and solutions along with storage conditions, flavors, etc.

This is an interesting subject and I've asked pharmacists before how they know whether something needs to or cannot be refrigerated and have never received a good response. Just one of those things that people seem to learn by observing.

You can put Cefdinir suspension in the fridge BUT it would not be ideal because the dose will be hard to draw up (potency isn't affected) since it becomes thick thus it should be stored at room temperature :D

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, put it in the door of the fridge. It already taste like the working end of the lower GI track, give the kid a break. ;)